By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 40% of PS4 owners didn't own a PS3!

ArchangelMadzz said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Nah, nobody buys a new console to play old games.

Which explains why you can play hundreds on old Playstation games on their platforms...

Backwards compatibility didn't really help PS3 in the early days and there wasn't some big drop off in sales when they got rid of it. The lower price of dropping it increased sales. People don't use BC as much as they think they would, the only time it's relevant is at launch.

BC doesn't make or break the success of a console. Its merely a feature many owners desire.

Just like there are millions of people that want a remake of Final Fantasy 7 or Shenmue 3, there are millions of people that want to play old games on their new console. This is why the PS Store has hundreds of old PS1 and PS2 games. This is why people were hyped about PS Now (hyped died when we learned it was a rental service). This is also why old games get ported. Hence, you're wrong.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Backwards compatibility didn't really help PS3 in the early days and there wasn't some big drop off in sales when they got rid of it. The lower price of dropping it increased sales. People don't use BC as much as they think they would, the only time it's relevant is at launch.

BC doesn't make or break the success of a console. Its merely a feature many owners desire.

Just like there are millions of people that want a remake of Final Fantasy 7 or Shenmue 3, there are millions of people that want to play old games on their new console. This is why the PS Store has hundreds of old PS1 and PS2 games. This is why people were hyped about PS Now (hyped died when we learned it was a rental service). This is also why old games get ported. Hence, you're wrong.

As time goes by I just can't see loads of people using Backward Compatilibity in their daily gaming experience. But that's just me, of course people want to play old games again and are more enticed to buy if the visuals are better or framerate is improved etc which is what happens with a remaster.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

ArchangelMadzz said:
Mr Puggsly said:

As time goes by I just can't see loads of people using Backward Compatilibity in their daily gaming experience. But that's just me, of course people want to play old games again and are more enticed to buy if the visuals are better or framerate is improved etc which is what happens with a remaster.

Time has gone on and we keep seeing PS1 and PS2 games added to the PS Store. We are well into the 8th gen and Sony is pushing old PS3 games via PS Now. There is demand for old games, more than you think.

Someone else pointed out the games distributed with Games with Gold will have more value if they are supported by X1 backwards compatibility. I mean maybe they will eventually give out something like Fallout 3, Skyrim, Left 4 Dead, or some other notable title. There is a lot of notable titles worth revisiting and many missed them in the 7th gen.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

which even more credence to sony's remasters,

PS4 sales be like: "This isn't even my final form"

Mr Puggsly said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Not many, a select tiny niche do.  Ironically its likely the same ones that keep their old concole and games.

Millions want ff7 remade, not the old shitty ugly version (compared to todays standarts)

People were hyped on Now because many were foolish enouth to think it would work on new games, PS4 games.  Hype died when it became clear it was just a rental service for old games most just dont care about.  

Around the Network

I just bought my ps3 in 2013 so i am more like the 40%

As cool as backwards compatibility can be, I rarely find myself using the capability on the consoles that have it. Do I sometimes wish my particular PS3 could play PS2 games? Sure, but nothing is stopping me from taking a couple minutes to hook up my PS2 if I really want to play the game. It's a mild inconvenience, but it's not something that's going to make me hate my PS3 for not being able to do. The same story with my PS4 in relation to the PS3. Granted, I'm part of the 60% having played more than my fair share of PS3 last gen, so I pine for backwards compatibility even less (even though my PS3 decided to randomly stop reading games grumble grumble).

With that said, I love remasters. I love playing my games with improvements, looking better than ever. I'm all over the Uncharted Collection when that comes out because I love the series that much. Other people will be all over it to have their first experience with the games. In the end, remasters are win/wins. Those that don't like them don't have to get them, but they ultimately are far more of a benefit than a hindrance to the system's library.

arcane_chaos said:
which even more credence to sony's remasters,

PS4 sales be like: "This isn't even my final form"

LMAO. 

Just remembered the Japanese PS4 poster with Frieza in it. :D

So happy to be one of those 40%, best gaming decision of my life.
Did borrow friend's PS3 with the Uncharted trilogy, but now I can replay it again at my own pace.

PS4 needs a price cut... soon as that happends... massive upgrade wave of ps3 users.

Dont understand why Sony didnt give the PS4 a price cut at E3.