By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 40% of PS4 owners didn't own a PS3!

"The Last of Us Remastered that we released last year was hugely popular," Yoshida says. "When we look at the number of people who did not own PS3, but do own PS4, those are people who have never tried these games that were very, very popular on PS3. Lots of people were asking for the  Uncharted Collection. I'm confident that lots of people will have the chance to play Uncharted for the first time in a higher resolution, with better textures and animations. That will even attract people who played on PS3 in preparation for Uncharted 4. I'm not bothered by people who complain when we talk about remasters. There are always those people on the internet."

We asked for clarification on the number of PlayStation 4 owners who didn't own a PlayStation 3 on which these games appeared first. A Sony representative confirmed to us that PlayStation 4 new users (those that didn't upgrade from PlayStation 3) amount to approximately 40 percent of the 20.2 million install base (approximately 8.08 million).

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/06/17/sony-remasters-serve-the-40-percent-of-ps4-owners-that-didn_2700_t-own-a-playstation-3.aspx?utm_content=bufferd2d5e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Around the Network

Wow, really supports a believe that when PS4 price drops oogles of people will jump in.

Writer's assumed sales are wrong btw since that was the last updated sell through for PS4. It is higher now.

This means alot of sony owners of ps3s still havnt upgraded.
First thing that happends once it gets a price cut.... people will upg from their ps3s.

Guess i'm part of that 40%.

Around the Network

Im part of the 60%. Im still getting the Uncharted Collection because I love the series so damn much lol

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

The sad/funny part here is PS4's non-PS3 owner population is almost as big as Wii U's whole install base.

thats a huge percentage. PS4 is really kicking ass, i can see Uncharted Collection being very successful due to this. a lot of people who never got the chance to play the first 3 games will be able to do so. PS4 is just really dominating this gen.

They would really benefit from backwards compatibility! They missed a lot of good games on PS3!

I'm not bothered by people who complain when we talk about remasters. There are always those people on the internet."

That's Why I love Yoshida.   He always sends the right messanges.