By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the Wii U the worst console of all time?(OP clarification)

ctk495 said:
SanAndreasX said:
ctk495 said:

@everyone
I think you guys should not use a semantic loophole and say "Well, X console by an obscure company is worst" that is like me saying that "My little brother made a console and that one is worst than Wii U." I am talking about "serious" console creators like Microsoft, Sega, Sony and Nintendo. I dare anyone to say that the Wii U is better than any of consoles made by any of this companies and you will see how the Wii U stacks up poorly even against the original Xbox or the PSone.

Read the title of your own thread.

I did- and it doesnt' invalidate my point. I said only to focus in serious companies that include Nintedo, Sega, Sony and Microsoft. Yet you and other posters seem to disregard what I said and keep on bringing examples like the philips CD-I or the Jaguar which I bet only a minority of gamers have ever heard of. Even worst, I bet any casual fan only thinks of the big three including Sega. Yet you still haven't answered my question, has any of this four companies ever made a console worst than the Wii U? 

Yes, Sony. It's called the PlayStation Vita

Around the Network

WiiU is this generation's Dreamcast: it came first, therefore, it came featurng a weaker hardware than its competitors.

Birimbau said:
WiiU is this generation'r Deam cast: it came first, therefore, it came featurng a weaker hardware than its competitors.

Not to mention the VMU was like a very early prototype of the gamepad! it all makes sense now.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

ctk495 said:
SanAndreasX said:
ctk495 said:

@everyone
I think you guys should not use a semantic loophole and say "Well, X console by an obscure company is worst" that is like me saying that "My little brother made a console and that one is worst than Wii U." I am talking about "serious" console creators like Microsoft, Sega, Sony and Nintendo. I dare anyone to say that the Wii U is better than any of consoles made by any of this companies and you will see how the Wii U stacks up poorly even against the original Xbox or the PSone.

I did- and it doesnt' invalidate my point. I said only to focus in serious companies that include Nintedo, Sega, Sony and Microsoft. Yet you and other posters seem to disregard what I said and keep on bringing examples like the philips CD-I which I bet only a minority of gamers have ever heard of. Even worst, I bet any casual fan only thinks of the big three including Sega. Yet you still haven't answered my question, has any of this 4 companies ever made a console worst than the Wii U? 

Yes, "worst console of all time." Your words, so yes, you are moving the goalposts.  The problem is, many of us can think past the year 2000, many of us were alive to game before you were born.  Atari at one time was the biggest bully on the playground, and everybody knows who Atari is. I don't think you'll see anybody who will say the Wii U is worse than any Atari console except the 2600. Every company that invested millions of dollars in the video game market was a "serious competitor." The difference between Philips and 3DO, and Sony, was that the latter went after the core video game market while the former two companies went after adults who considered the SNES and Genesis to be "kids toys." The mainstream media of the 90s considered the 3DO and CD-i to be "serious" consoles for "adults, and the SNES and Genesis as "kids toys."

Now, with the goalposts nicely moved, I could argue that the Wii U is better than the Saturn. The Saturn had a few nice little Japanese games but nothing on the level of the Wii U's biggest games. The Wii U certainly trumps the Sega CD and the 32X, the latter of which was what Sega of America wanted Sega's 32-bit console to be before Sega of Japan overruled them. I could also argue that the Wii U will have a longer useful shelf life than the Dreamcast.

Frankly, I like the Wii U better than the OG Xbox, so there's that as well.

And then there's the Vita, by Sony. I own a Vita TV. I enjoy playing Freedom Wars, Tales of Hearts R, Persona 4. I mostly use it to play PSP favorites like Valkyria Chronicles II on it. Other than a few XSeed localizations of Nihon Falcom RPGs that I've been wanting, the Vita pretty much has little else coming down the pipeline. That's okay, my wife paid $80 for it new at Gamestop. But it's still going to have a far shorter shelf life than my Wii U when all is said and done, and nothing on it will be as good as Mario Kart 8, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Smash U, or SMT x Fire Emblem.

It's a bad console selling wise, but everything else, it's a great console : ) The games it does have are pretty excellent. Heck, I'm still waiting for the PS4 to release games I want. So worse console ever? Naw, I doubt it.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network

Just because people had high expectations and they were not met does not make this the 'worst' console ever. To say it is the worst console is simply hyperbole. 

The Wii U is not the best console of all time, don't get me wrong. To say it is the worst because of a 'bad' (in my opinion it was average) presentation is simply baffling. 

The Wii U has had fantastic titles (Splatoon, Bayonetta 1 & 2, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros. 4, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Pikmin 3 etc.) and that will only continue (Xenoblade Chronicles X, Fatal Frame 5, The Legend of Zelda U, Starfox Zero (maybe Devil's Third?) etc.).

Pre-E3 Nintendo has made some excellent announcements via their directs. They could have saved some trailers for E3 as a surprise (Fire Emblem crossover comes to mind).

Did any of you see the Square Enix presentation? That thing was a mess. What the hell was with all the talking? The guy with the incredibly awkward mask? That presentation was the thing of nightmares. They even recycled the same trailers that Sony used for their games. Could they not have done something different to further elaborate on their titles more, rather than just recyle Sony's presentation of Square's games?  Square's babbling even made their interesting games seem boring.

Anyway moving back to Nintendo's Wii U.

It is by no means the best or worst console ever.

There have been plenty of consoles circulating that are far worse. Recently the Ouya comes to mind.
Before that you had the Sega Saturn, and I can't remember the other Sega console that was cut off with no support. You also had the abomination that was the Phillips CD-I. The 3DO was terrivble and so were a bunch of others.

The Wii U is not even the worst Nintendo console. Virtual Boy anyone?

Not for me. That first party lineup is absolutely insane! If we are comparing it to the likes of the Jaguar, which did have gems on it, then I would say no. The issue was a lack of communication to developers and publishers; marketing the console the tip of the spear.

However, from a commercial standpoint, it is a failure without question. I hoesntly believe 18-22 million max for the console, but that would still trail either the Nintendo 64 or the GameCube; results pending on final sales numbers.

" It has never been about acknowledgement when you achieve something. When you are acknowledged, then and only then can you achieve something. Always have your friends first to achieve your goals later." - OnlyForDisplay

SanAndreasX said:
ctk495 said:

@everyone

Love that picture so much lol.

OT perhaps change the title of the thread to include you're basing it on the past 7 years and are not including companies who have released worse consoles... which includes Nintendo themselves.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

No, it still has a very good list of games.

Soundwave said:

GameCube first party is overrated.

Mario 3D World >>> Sunshine.

Like seriously take off the nostalgia glasses with Sunshine, it's a terrible Mario game with bloated level design all set on a tropical island (who the hell thought a Mario game with all tropical themed levels was a good idea?), that had camera glitches and bugs up the wazoo and the back end of the game was piss poor.

Splatoon >>> Pikmin

These were the so-called "new IP" of the GameCube ... I'm sorry, Splatoon is way better. It's a far better game and truly the next great Nintendo IP. Not only that but Wii U has Pikmin 3 as well.

Mario Kart 8 >>> Mario Kart: Double Dash

Double Dash had a pathetic number of tracks, MK8 has far more content.

Smash U = Smash Melee

Smash Melee was the one big IP Nintendo got right on the GCN, but Smash U matches it IMO.

DKC: Tropical Freeze > DK: Jungle Beat

EAD Tokyo made a good effort here, but a "real" DKC game with actual controls the return of David Wise trumps a spin-off DK game with bongo controls.

If Zelda U is better than Wind Waker, then the Wii U has the GameCube beat in many major Nintendo IP.

you're crazy, some of those opinions are extremely subjective. in terms of scores and popularity almost none of the opinions you put on those Wii U games being better than their Gamecube counterparts are correct

both sales wise and rating wise you're off 

the Wii U has some solid titles but they have a weak Mario installment (that's the reality, it's not even traditional 3D and therefore much less loved), a remake of Wind Waker (and no improving the graphics doesn't magically get tons of points, it's not a hard thing to do), and Pikmin is a totally different type of game than Splatoon so that is just a bizarre comparison. if anything it shows that the Wii U has such a limited library that you DONT have titles available to compare appropriately with even the Gamecube

the Gamecube has a great library and the only thing weak about it was sales. highly considered system in reflection by most people, it had good specs for its time, all genre of games besides maybe shooters, and a controller that made sense

obviously the Wii U is not even close to the worst system ever. Jaguar had NO library and this is coming from someone who has owned a majority of its library through time. Saturn was very one dimensional

currently I would probably compare the Wii U to the Dreamcast in terms of library, not great, not a ton of releases, its rather ehh