By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who won the E3? THE VGCHARTZ-VOTE Thread - You decide!

Who won the E3 ? @ All VGChartz User

The PlayStation 4 (Sony) 1,279 68.03%

The Xbox1 (MS) 279 14.84%

nintendo digital event 105 5.59%

see results 217 11.54%

Total:1,880
Hynad said:
sales2099 said:

Seems no matter what MS does, bias always wins.

MS: Here's backwards compatibility, remasters/collections, favorite IP sequels, new IPs, Indie support, and VR doing something different then the competition.

No Kinect, no COD (which Sony had), and all time was dedicated to game, except for Hololens, which people were atcually excited about.

Sony: Timed exclusive FF7, confirming The Last Guardian still exists,funding Shenmue 3 which you can't play until 2+ years later, timed exclusive 3rd party DLC

Off course this is a oversimplification, but I really want to talk about this. Sony is banking on nostalgia (which MS too) while leaving 2015 with next to no big title releases, with Uncharted Collection being the headliner.

But E3 isn't just about what happens in the next month. That excuse to downplay any conference is laughable at best to me.

And you calling out the bias is doubly laughable, to put it gently. We all know who you are here.

Here, I will add to the Sony part your wrote, which your bias made sure to leave a lot out:

The Last Guardian, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Dreams, Firewatch, World of Final Fantasy, Shenmue 3, No Man's Sky, Morpheus and RIGS, Uncharted 4.

While MS had a very good show this year, no reasonable gamer is saying otherwise, the magnitude simply wasn't of the scale of Sony's. Sure enough, Sony has Square-Enix to thank for part of that. But Sony is responsible for Shenmue 3, since they've confirmed they've been in talk with Yu Suzuki to bring it back and now it's happeneing. While most of those games won't come in the close future, Sony did a great job in reassuring people that the PS4 will deliver big time. And besides, a lot of that content is set to come out in early 2016, which isn't that far away. So again, the argument that E3 should only be about the games that release for the holiday of the same year is nonsensical. 

I left out things from MS too. My point was MS was grounded in the now and future, giving a mix of remasters, old games, big IPs, new IPs, and indie support. And BC offcourse with a promising tech demo at the end.  Where as Sony banked on emotions of hype and future potential.

I mean, my biggest things is FF& and TLG. One is timed exclusive, no more a "win" then Tomb Raider is. Its awesome that it exists, but since its timed exclusive it isn't a big thing from a console war perspective. And as for TLG, it is literally repacking a 2009 game for 2015 saying "yes, it still exists". Great for those hopeful fans, but saying a game isn't cancelled shouldn't be considered a mega announcement in principle.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

I found both Sony and MS equal this time. Both offered the best things. MS had better features and value while Sony showed off FF7

sales2099 said:

MS: Here's backwards compatibility, remasters/collections, favorite IP sequels, new IPs, Indie support, and VR doing something different then the competition.

No Kinect, no COD (which Sony had), and all time was dedicated to game, except for Hololens, which people were atcually excited about.

Sony: Timed exclusive FF7, confirming The Last Guardian still exists,funding Shenmue 3 which you can't play until 2+ years later, timed exclusive 3rd party DLC

Off course this is a oversimplification, but I really want to talk about this. Sony is banking on nostalgia (which MS too) while leaving 2015 with next to no big title releases, with Uncharted Collection being the headliner.

Speaking of bias, you skewed you're lists a bit there my friend...

MS showed:

• Halo 5 (sequel, gameplay)
  • Tomb Raider (timed, gameplay)
  • Recore (new ip)
  • Backwards Compatibility
  • Elite controller
  • Fallout 4 PC mods (timed)
  • EA Access
  • Garden Warfare 2 (multiplatform)
  • Forza 6 (sequel, gameplay)
  • Dark Souls 3 (multiplatform)
  • Rainbow 6 Seige (multipatform)
  • The Division (multiplatform)
  • Gigantic (new ip, free to play)
  • Ashen (indie)
  • Cuphead (indie)
  • Xbox preview
  • Ion (MMO)
  • Rare replay (collection)
  • Sea of Thieves (new ip, MMO)
  • Fable legends (spinoff, free to play)
  • Valve "relationship"
  • Hololense minecraft (gameplay)
  • Gears remake (remake)
  • Gears 4 (sequel, gameplay)
Sony showed:
  • TLG (new ip, gameplay)
  • Horizon (new ip, gameplay)
  • Hitman (multiplatform, exclusive content)
  • SFV (sequel, gameplay)
  • Dreams (new ip, gameplay)
  • Destiny expansion (multiplatform, exclusive content)
  • Firewatch (indie)
  • FF7 remake (remake, timed)
  • World of FF (spinoff)
  • Shenmue 3 (sequel)
  • Ronin (indie)
  • Eitr (indie)
  • Mother Russia Bleeds (indie)
  • Crossing Souls (indie)
  • Assassins Creed Syndicate (sequel, exclusive content)
  • PSVue (expansion, a la carte, PSPlus discount)
  • No Mans Sky (indie, gameplay)
  • RIGS (new ip, Morpheus)
  • COD (sequel, timed DLC)
  • Disney Infinity (sequel, timed bundle)
  • Battlefront (multiplatform, gameplay, timed DLC)
  • Uncharted 4 (sequel, gameplay)
So yeah, Sony did alright.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Madword said:
sales2099 said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Those are games that +thousands of fans been begging for, for nearly a decade. Sony delivered, and captured the gamers spirits.

But FF7 doesn't belong to them....no more then Tomb Raider belongs to XBox fans. Still find it difficult to believe that Sony saying The Last Guardian still exists counts as a megaton.

But hey, if that's what you guys want, then more power to ya. But in all that glamour, they kinda left the rest of this year in the hands of third parties, while MS has a stacked lineup and is bringing backwards compatibility.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that MS used to be criticized for leaving some years barren only to focus on the next one, as well as relying on third parties. MS is announcing 2016+ things, but also giving us things in the near future. Sony is banking on the idea of what the future will bring, while taking it easy now just because they are the market leader. Just my persepctive, but ok I see your points.

I think thats quite a sweeping statement. I mean they showed The Last Guardian, which they've been working on and off since 2011, which most companies would have binned by now. Horizon, an open world RPG which has obviously had a lot of time/effort and money put into it. MM making some weird *ss stuff, more than 2 years, which lets be honest isnt something I would have bankrolled. Then you have UC4 which looks like it pushes 3rd person shooters to the next level and has been in development for a while. Have God of War remaster, Uncharted collection this year, as well as Until Dawn. They have a multitude of other studios making stuff which are not ready yet.

So I dont think you can say they taking it easy, Game development is hard, it's not like they are sitting on their hands counting the cash.

Well it is no secret that Sony 1st party studios far outnumber MS's, to see Sony leaving 2015 in the hands of mostly remakes and 3rd parties, while moving their big guns to 2016, while MS is actually making sure every year has a fair number of big titles, is a big shift from last gen.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
Hynad said:

But E3 isn't just about what happens in the next month. That excuse to downplay any conference is laughable at best to me.

And you calling out the bias is doubly laughable, to put it gently. We all know who you are here.

Here, I will add to the Sony part your wrote, which your bias made sure to leave a lot out:

The Last Guardian, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Dreams, Firewatch, World of Final Fantasy, Shenmue 3, No Man's Sky, Morpheus and RIGS, Uncharted 4.

While MS had a very good show this year, no reasonable gamer is saying otherwise, the magnitude simply wasn't of the scale of Sony's. Sure enough, Sony has Square-Enix to thank for part of that. But Sony is responsible for Shenmue 3, since they've confirmed they've been in talk with Yu Suzuki to bring it back and now it's happeneing. While most of those games won't come in the close future, Sony did a great job in reassuring people that the PS4 will deliver big time. And besides, a lot of that content is set to come out in early 2016, which isn't that far away. So again, the argument that E3 should only be about the games that release for the holiday of the same year is nonsensical. 

I left out things from MS too. My point was MS was grounded in the now and future, giving a mix of remasters, old games, big IPs, new IPs, and indie support. And BC offcourse with a promising tech demo at the end.  Where as Sony banked on emotions of hype and future potential.

I mean, my biggest things is FF& and TLG. One is timed exclusive, no more a "win" then Tomb Raider is. Its awesome that it exists, but since its timed exclusive it isn't a big thing from a console war perspective. And as for TLG, it is literally repacking a 2009 game for 2015 saying "yes, it still exists". Great for those hopeful fans, but saying a game isn't cancelled shouldn't be considered a mega announcement in principle.

Make a list of everything that both had in their conference... that would be more accurate then, at least people cant claim bias if the whole list is detailed.

Ah too slow the person above me already did it :)

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network
Namiirei said:
sales2099 said:

But if anything please tell me why a timed exclusive FF7 and repackaging a 2009 announcement for 2015 (TLG) is a big deal? Guess it's the idea they represent.....but that doesn't exactly translate to Playstation.

You'r ridiculous. Not a little, really ridiculous.

You can't understand at all, we don't freacking care if ff7 is exclusive or not, it can even come on OUYA, we DON'T.CARE.

We just know that the remake really exist, same for the last guardian, same for shenmue 3 and are really happy for that. And because of that, yeah, this sony conference is one of the best of all time.

And ff7...sorry, but it translate to playstation. It was one of the first jrpg to come here and bring lot of others jrpg to the west thanks to his great success.

I know.....opposing opinions to PS be whack yo.

Your comment just tells me that the dreamers won....those who never gave up hope that the games would release someday. Dreamers /= Playstation fans.

Because if were talking console war context, FF7 coming to Xbox does matter. This is a gamer win, not exactly a Plsyatation one, unless timed exclusives matter now???

MS won.

E3 isn't about what's upcoming. It's about what already came.

Sony should've saved the Suikoden PS1 classics announcement for E3 instead of PSX, better megaton than what they had this week.

sales2099 said:

THANK YOU! Feel like Im the only guy here who saw things without Nostalgia goggles.

Sony left 2015 in the dust, and FF& is only timed exclusive, with Last Guardian still existing qualifying for a "megaton".

MS hit all the right notes with nostalgia, tech demos, established IPs, new IPs, and keeping 2015 a big year for games. And still they can't beat Sony.......you really know the ratio of console war fans on the internet at times like this.

a line that is a load of hogwash.

in the first 6 months of 2015 sony has released: the order, bloodborne, mlb 15,  nom nom galaxy, helldivers, counterspy

in the first 6 months of 2015 ms has released: ori, scream ride

In the last 6 months of in 2015 sony has: until dawn, god of war III remaster, uncharted collection, no man's sky, rime, tearaway, persona 5, everyone's gone to rapture, wattam

In the last 6 months of in 2015 ms has: halo 5, forza 6, gears remaster, fable, tomb raider, cuphead, gigantic, below

bold: console exclusive

Italics: timed exclusvie.

let the downplaying of the non-holiday 3/4 of the year commence...  let the conviluted explination of why sony's console exclusives are not really exclusive while xbox's console exclusives are exclusive continue...  let the ignoring of game you don't like as if the games don't actually exist start...

sales2099 said:
Hynad said:
sales2099 said:

I thought the MS show was really good. The Rare Collection is really sweet and brought a lot of great memories back, making me wish I already had a XBO right now. Tomb Raider looked much better than I expected it would. That's near CGI quality graphics there, and it looked about as good as any Sony first party games. And the new IP from Rare looked equally intriguing and I loved the style of it. But other than that, I felt the conference played it rather safe, with games we already knew about (same thing that happened for you with The Last Guardian, I assume). While Halo 5's single player looks incredibly good, we all know it's coming already. Forza 6? Meh for me. It looks fine but I'm a GT guy. New controller is awesome though. I still prefer controllers with symetrical analog sticks, but there's no denying the epic sheer amount of customization options. Other console and peripheral makers should take a cue from MS on that one. Hololens simply isn't my thing. It's nice, but I simply don't see much appeal from a pure gaming perspective. But I suspect trying it out would change my mind about it. Just like VR. Am I forgetting anything?

I'm not trying to downplay anything here. As far as I'm concerned, only Nintendo under-delivered (big time), all the other conferences I watched were really exciting (except for the very long sports segment from EA...). But as I said, Final Fantasy VII and Shenmue 3 have been at the top of my wishlist for over a decade, so having them announced at a conference makes that conference win by default. It's as simple as that for me. 

It's not a matter of console war. It's a matter of what games I want more. Be them third, second, or first party. Sony brought all this on their stage, and in the end, I was left with a better impression about gaming's future by watching their conference than any of the other. And to me, this is what E3 is all about.

In a nutshell: If Microsoft had been the one to have Final Fantasy VII R's allegedly timed console exclusive announced at their conference, and be the one to help fund Shenmue 3 for the XBO, they would have won for me this year.

Roronaa_chan said:
MS won.

E3 isn't about what's upcoming. It's about what already came.

Sony should've saved the Suikoden PS1 classics announcement for E3 instead of PSX, better megaton than what they had this week.

I don't even know where to...did you...I'm sorry, what?

Thanks jlmurph!