By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony really is funding Shenmue 3

Then why did the devs say they that porting it on Wii U and XBO wasn't out of the question? Weird.

Around the Network
alternine said:
Maybe theyll just use the 2 mil for polishing and marketing the game.

That's small compared to the tens of millions they spend in marketing on games that are not nearly as hyped as Shenmue 3.

Edit : also 15 minutes of Disney Infinity at e3 should have been enough to fund the game.

So far there is a lot more we don't know than we do know.

No one has said "PS4 and PC" only, putting this in a similar space the Tomb Raider I guess.

But on the other hand, the kickstarter model is completely new, and we don't know where that leaves.

Honestly I am most concerned about the lack of a physical PS4 release. Far more than any other medium, games rely on physical sales for any major title - suggesting that this is not going to be a major, high-budget AAA release in anything like the manner of the first two games. Hopefully this changes. Do it right, please!

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

If Sony is involved then they can make the effort for a physical ps4 version. Bloodstained will have physical versions across all platforms for those backers and the Shenmue kickstarter can't even get a physical release for backers on the one home console its on?

starcraft said:
So far there is a lot more we don't know than we do know.

No one has said "PS4 and PC" only, putting this in a similar space the Tomb Raider I guess.

But on the other hand, the kickstarter model is completely new, and we don't know where that leaves.

Honestly I am most concerned about the lack of a physical PS4 release. Far more than any other medium, games rely on physical sales for any major title - suggesting that this is not going to be a major, high-budget AAA release in anything like the manner of the first two games. Hopefully this changes. Do it right, please!

There is only no physical PS4 release for backers of the kickstarter. One could guess that Sony wants a retail release but not give away a couple thousand copies when all those could be sold. Also the kickstarter page has all over it PS4 and PC, so while it could be others, they are being pretty clear on the kickstarter page at least where they are rleasing the game. Given the game is Shenmue 3, I don't expect it anytime before 2018 so there's lots of time for more news about other platforms to leak out.

Thanks jlmurph!

Around the Network

If its true than this kickstarter is a great way to order a digital version for 28 bucks which might end up being a 60$ game. But i wouldnt put all the hand into sony, shenmue 1 alone costed something like 70 million so i hope the kickstarter reaches 10 million at least to get even a better expierence and shenmue 1 and 2 remasters as well.
Shenmue was designed that way that your progress is continied in the next game similiar like witcher or mass effect decesion are. Just realesing shenmue 3 wouldnt be the same expierence like yu suzuki invisioned

Ruler said:
If its true than this kickstarter is a great way to order a digital version for 28 bucks which might end up being a 60$ game. But i wouldnt put all the hand into sony, shenmue 1 alone costed something like 70 million so i hope the kickstarter reaches 10 million at least to get even a better expierence and shenmue 1 and 2 remasters as well.
Shenmue was designed that way that your progress is continied in the next game similiar like witcher or mass effect decesion are. Just realesing shenmue 3 wouldnt be the same expierence like yu suzuki invisioned

I've completed them like 10 times, cannot say i'm bothered.

spemanig said:
Then why did the devs say they that porting it on Wii U and XBO wasn't out of the question? Weird.

Got a source for that?

Thanks jlmurph!

Random_Matt said:
Ruler said:

I've completed them like 10 times, cannot say i'm bothered.

Really? How do they play?

The objective is a slow one, finding Lan Di. He murdered your father, so hunting him down takes some time, but guess it would if you were trying to find a killer. GS put this as a negative when it was reviewed, a rather stupid thing to criticise. The games are mostly learning button combinations in regards to the type of moves there are, punching, kicking, evade and throw. You have a three level system on each move to master, basic, intermidiate and advanced. Continuously doing the same move ups the level, you can do this by going into a car park in the main town and spend hours, and i mean real hours killing your thumbs. Worth it though, because there are tons of fights, mainly the group known as the Mad Angels, linked to a Chinese cartel, of which is linked to Lan Di. There are also QTE events which work pretty well, not to many of them though. When you're bored, go to the Tomato store to redeem raffle tickets you can find on special cans in the vending machines, you win stuff, nothing major though. Or spend time on the mini games in the arcade store, such as darts (spent so much time on the darts) and other stuff. There's also some classic games you can play on your saturn under the televeison in your house, it's only hang time and something else. Before i forget, there are six moves you can buy, and ones which you learn from people throughout the game. There was even a battle mode to play once you completed it.

I could tell you the whole game, i mentioned the first one, but you may want to buy it. The second one takes place in China, pretty much the same thing, but different setting, some say it's the best one probably because it expanded that little more. Kind of expected if it's a sequel.