By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony really is funding Shenmue 3

StuOhQ said:
BraLoD said:
But of course, the crowdfunding will help with money, but Sony will throw the big buck on it.
The Kickstarter page was always stating it would be PS4 and PC, ans only PC has the physical copy as a reward, so it's most likely money to grant it'll have money to port it to PC, and the lack of the physical PS4 versions was a strong hint Sony would be publishing it.

It wouldn't be on Sony E3 stage if Sony wasn't involved with it.

The Kickstarter campaign page misleadingly stated that they "had not yet determined" if the game would be coming to Wii U and Xbox One.

As Sony planned to fully back the game if it reached 2m (which was the breaking point to fund the project at all), that information was completely fraudulent and misleading. An investigation into the actual arrangement between Ys and Sony needs to be undertaken, as Kickstarter policy is quite clear in stating that the entirety of the production plan has to be disclosed to backers from the very beginning - spelled out in detail, on the campaign page. 

I'm beginning to suspect that Kickstarter was complicit in the whole affair, which needs to be addressed by a consumer advocacy firm. This could very well end up costing Sony a lot more than the few millions they've stolen from trusting backers. 

LOL if you are on XB1, backed it and expected more.

It says... and has ALWAYS said:

Currently we are planning development only for PC (Windows) and PS4. Other platforms have not been decided yet.

Around the Network

There will be a physical version.

BraLoD said:
Well I think you've been already answered Stu.
They never said they would and they never involved any other platform as a reward, so they didn't took anything feom anyone and can have now decided to not to do the versions to said platforms.

There is apparently nothing wrong with anything there.

Fair enough. I'm just glad that I didn't back it when Sony is publishing anyway. I still think that saying "other platforms have not been decided" (about XBO and Wii U specifically) was deceptive when they already had a backdoor deal worked out with Sony. Why not disclose that information from the start? Then backers would have known EXACTLY what they were getting into, without all of the vaguery. There is a reason that Kickstarter requires that you detail your exact plans for how you will spend the money of the backers - which is why I'm speculating that Kickstarter was complicit with the switch-around all along. 

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

This was nothing but a marketing ploy. Sickening and a kick in the teeth for the real indie industry who strive off funding made available through kickstarter and the like.

Mystro-Sama said:
bananaking21 said:
kinda weird that they were testing the water honestly. but i guess that settles the platforms then. PS4 and PC only.

I don't blame them honestly. The last 2 games financially raped Sega.

Sony is being wise here.

Around the Network
foodfather said:
This was nothing but a marketing ploy. Sickening and a kick in the teeth for the real indie industry who strive off funding made available through kickstarter and the like.

Sickening my ass, also you do realize that there are also positive externalities to these kinda big Kickstarter projects right?

I find this so ridiculous, 14 years nobody was willing to fund this game and now people are suddenly surprised that Sony didn't just jump on it without any conditions, just putting faith into the internet hype actually equating to real-world interest. I mean sure why didn't they just pour in millions upon millions of dollars into the sequel of this?:

1 Shenmue DC 1999 Adventure Sega 0.52 0.24 0.38 0.04 1.18
2 Shenmue II XB 2002 Adventure Microsoft Game Studios 0.22 0.08 0.00 0.01 0.32
3 Shenmue II DC 2001 Adventure Sega 0.00 0.00 0.15 0.00 0.15

It should've been obvious to them that this was going to be an instant hit after so many people played the first 2, especially on PS. /s

foodfather said:

There is no rule which prevents publishers from using kickstarter to see if there's any interest in a project. And if it means long dead franchises can make a return this way, I wouldn't mind if the "real indies" get pushed back. Most of them try to recreate those old Japanese classics anyway so I'd rather get the real deal than a copy.

StuOhQ said:
BraLoD said:
But of course, the crowdfunding will help with money, but Sony will throw the big buck on it.
The Kickstarter page was always stating it would be PS4 and PC, ans only PC has the physical copy as a reward, so it's most likely money to grant it'll have money to port it to PC, and the lack of the physical PS4 versions was a strong hint Sony would be publishing it.

It wouldn't be on Sony E3 stage if Sony wasn't involved with it.

The Kickstarter campaign page misleadingly stated that they "had not yet determined" if the game would be coming to Wii U and Xbox One.

As Sony planned to fully back the game if it reached 2m (which was the breaking point to fund the project at all), that information was completely fraudulent and misleading. An investigation into the actual arrangement between Ys and Sony needs to be undertaken, as Kickstarter policy is quite clear in stating that the entirety of the production plan has to be disclosed to backers from the very beginning - spelled out in detail, on the campaign page. 

I'm beginning to suspect that Kickstarter was complicit in the whole affair, which needs to be addressed by a consumer advocacy firm. This could very well end up costing Sony a lot more than the few millions they've stolen from trusting backers. 

You're right, let's sue Sony for funding Shenmue 3! ^^ And sue them for funding FF7 Remake too! And for TLG! And we should sue and cancel every Kickstarter game who succeeded in getting funds from companies... Let's close Kickstarter while we're here, because the whole site works like that. 

After that, we should ask them to bring back to life Crash Bandicoot or The Legend of Dragoon, and Valve should make HL3. Because it's really a shame that these companies do not listen to their fans... :) 

The only thing you're doing is confirming that Sony did the right move when they asked Suzuki for some solid proof of the gamers support. If you want the gaming companies to stop listening to what Internet says, keep going and make a petition or something. I'm sure that Shenmue fans would be thrilled if the game is cancelled because Sony made a deal with Suzuki to fund it. 

In my opinion sony will only help them a little with some developers helping to make ps4 version work and that's it. People are really overestimating this shenmue thing.

I'm guessing a lot of people has not read this article.

Engadget: "So I want to switch gears a little bit. I want to talk to you about Shenmue and crowdfunding. That was announced onstage on Monday and it's at about $3 million now. So let me ask you: Why did Sony PlayStation decide to allow that crowdfunding announcement as opposed to funding it?"

Shu: "Ah, no, no, no. It's a very exciting project and there are lots of PlayStation fans asking for it. But it's a Sega IP and of course Suzuki Yu-san is the creator. So somehow Suzuki-san was able to work out with Sega to allow them to Kickstart the project. And because we liked the project, our third-party relations team struck a deal to help Kickstart the campaign at the E3 conference. That's great PR."

http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/17/an-intimate-chat-with-sony-playstation-shuhei-yoshida/