By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The official NPD February 2008 thread

Haha ok then coming 4th (close to 5th) when all the consoles are up from the previous year is a real turnaround, then congratulations Sony! Way to go, but you still need to outsell the ps2 and both Nintendo's consoles to call it a turnaround.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network
MikeB said:
360 DEVIL MAY CRY 4* CAPCOM USA 8-Feb 295.2K 2
PS3 DEVIL MAY CRY 4* CAPCOM USA 8-Feb 233.5K 4

Closer than I expected, nice!

VGChartz North America:

The difference is quite big compared to NPD with regard DMC4 360 sales, IMO NPD's figures bodes well for GTA IV on the PS3 for later this year.

Devil May Cry 4Xbox 360623,966
2Devil May Cry 4PS3381,827

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB - no they don't. DMC was a game that was 100% on the PS2 last gen, and the Xbox never recieved a DMC game, or anything close to it.

Yet the 360 version outsold it - despite selling oh-so much more software. Isn't it wierd that the PS3 failed to have any other game in the top-10, and the X360 had 5 games?

And I say this in respect to the fact that GTA was actually on the Xbox, despite being ported late, and still sold OK.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

@trestres

Last year PS3 averaged about 80k per week.
This year PS3 has been around 180k per week.

Regardless of the sales of the other consoles which hand 0 (360) to about 30%(Wii) increases the PS3's approximate 220% increase is really something to be proud of for Sony.

This means that the price reduction and the fact that good games have finally came out, as compared to last year this time, sony is headed in the right direction for a solid 2nd place.

So what's up with DMC4?

I'm not saying it's overtracked, but the discrepancy is huge between npd and vgc [360 version], and smaller [PS3 version]

Around the Network

Yeah it's so amazing that the PS3 version of Devil May Cry 4 is only slightly under the 360's sales... Of course the 360 had 5 games in the top 10 while the PS3 had 1, do you think that might have had something to do with it?

MikeB said:
MikeB said:
360 DEVIL MAY CRY 4* CAPCOM USA 8-Feb 295.2K 2
PS3 DEVIL MAY CRY 4* CAPCOM USA 8-Feb 233.5K 4

Closer than I expected, nice!

VGChartz North America:

The difference is quite big compared to NPD with regard DMC4 360 sales, IMO NPD's figures bodes well for GTA IV on the PS3 for later this year.

Devil May Cry 4Xbox 360623,966
2Devil May Cry 4PS3381,827

Ps3 version numbers are close because npd only listed north america.

360  version maybe overtracked though.

@superchunk: Being supply constrained doesnt count then? Both 360 and wii were supply constrained this february.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

DMeisterJ said:
So what's up with DMC4?

I'm not saying it's overtracked, but the discrepancy is huge between npd and vgc [360 version], and smaller [PS3 version]

If there's one thing VGC has to work on, it's software sales.

mrstickball said:
MikeB - no they don't. DMC was a game that was 100% on the PS2 last gen, and the Xbox never recieved a DMC game, or anything close to it.

Yet the 360 version outsold it - despite selling oh-so much more software. Isn't it wierd that the PS3 failed to have any other game in the top-10, and the X360 had 5 games?

And I say this in respect to the fact that GTA was actually on the Xbox, despite being ported late, and still sold OK.

Lets look at install base!

Xbox 360: 11,190,000

PS3: 4,250,000

mM