By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Street Fighter V never shipping for Xbox One

S.T.A.G.E. said:
tinfamous12 said:

most important?

Hes right. SF is the most popular fighter and to have it exclusive to one console is devastating. Thats like COD being exclusive to one platform. Street Fighter is the highest selling fighter of all time.

Agreed. No other fighting game resonates with gamers as much as Street Fighter. Mortal Kombat used to in the early days but Street Fighter captures more gamers worldwide. For the Xbox1 not to have any Street Fighter this generation is a big deal(unless Capcom somehow manage to put out Street Fighter 6 before the generation ends...).

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
If it isn't an owned IP from one of the big three, I always treat these undisputed exclusives as a maybe.

I was saying this earlier, but on Gamespot the lovely Jess McDonnell stated that Capcom made it clear that 5 is pretty much Sony's for the rest of the gen.

I would like it for us to know how this deal is explained in whatever contract that may exist. The thing is that "pretty much" for the rest of the gen could mean several years. Or maybe it could mean console exclusive for the gen. We can't tell which one it is really. But if they are just counting years and judging that from that same number of Earth rounds around the Sun it pretty much covers the whole gen then it could end up being a wordplay and then Xbone fans could have their Special Edition of whatever eventually.

Capcom has demonstrated that passage of time is not a factor when deciding to reissue their Street Fighter games.

Of course its a given that this deal with Sony does make PS4 the home for Street Fighter in consoles for a long while and that this will undoubtly benefit Sony but I still can't rule out that this game could eventually be appearing for Xbone, not until the gen is done/there's the first precendent of a contract leaked and we read the piece of paper.

I will call this a maybe for the time being.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

V-r0cK said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Hes right. SF is the most popular fighter and to have it exclusive to one console is devastating. Thats like COD being exclusive to one platform. Street Fighter is the highest selling fighter of all time.

Agreed.  And its clearly evident when you watch the EVO tournaments that the biggest game with the most competitors is Street Fighter. Also has the biggest prize.

True. $100,000 to $500,000 prize pots for tournaments? What fighter let alone publisher amasses a crowd that large that they can afford pots that large?

AbbathTheGrim said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
If it isn't an owned IP from one of the big three, I always treat these undisputed exclusives as a maybe.

I was saying this earlier, but on Gamespot the lovely Jess McDonnell stated that Capcom made it clear that 5 is pretty much Sony's for the rest of the gen.

I would like it for us to know how this deal is explained in whatever contract that may exist. The thing is that "pretty much" for the rest of the gen could mean several years. Or maybe it could mean console exclusive for the gen. We can't tell which one it is really. But if they are just counting years and judging that from that same number of Earth rounds around the Sun it pretty much covers the whole gen then it could end up being a wordplay and then Xbone fans could have their Special Edition of whatever eventually.

Capcom has demonstrated that passage of time is not a factor when deciding to reissue their Street Fighter games.

Of course its a given that this deal with Sony does make PS4 the home for Street Fighter in consoles for a long while and that this will undoubtly benefit Sony but I still can't rule out that this game could eventually be appearing for Xbone, not until the gen is done/there's the first precendent of a contract leaked and we read the piece of paper.

I will call this a maybe for the time being.

I would like an explaination as well, but I had your reservations months ago. The news which was just released ended all the speculation for me pertaining to other iterations of five being made to widen the base. I expect some news at E3. I heard Sony was a publisher of the game and Its probably because Capcom has been low on cash.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-will-never-get-a-version-of-street-fighter-5-/1100-6427987/

Aura7541 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Again, Tomb Raider. And idc what excuses you wanna apply to SFV, someone said MS started third party exclusives, I was simply correcting that poster and letting him know they existed long before :)

Yeah... this is a false equivalency. At first sight, it looks like the ROTR and SFV situations are similar. However, SFV's situation was more similar to Bayonetta 2's. From what Capcom said, anything that is "_____ Street Fighter V: _____ Edition" or the like won't be going to the XBO. For the XBO to get SF, it'll have to be SFVI or a spin-off a la SF x Tekken.

Also, Sony/Capcom and Microsoft's reactions to SFV and ROTR, respectively, have been drastically different. Capcom's statement was quite blunt whereas Microsoft kept beating around the bush until Phil finally straight out said "timed" on Twitter.

Here's also OrbitalMatrix's take on the situation, which I found very apt:

"Yeah, I need to ask all of the naysayers. If Capcom can't even find the cash to port USF4 to next generation consoles, then why do think it so easy to build a brand new SF game from the ground up for next generation consoles. No one has any doubts that at some point in 2018 or later we would have got SFV anyway. As it stands, however, we're getting the game in March 2016, because of Sony's involvement, and with cross platform play to boot.

Without the involvement of Sony I can guarantee two things:

1) We'd be waiting years to play this game.
2) It would be on Xbox One and there would be no cross platform play.

I think the benefits outweigh the fact one platform is missing out, personally. Just happy we're getting Street Fighter V, and soon."

Thats a lot of text trying to analyze a very simple comment. Again, one person says MS started the whole 3rd party exclusive thing, i simply corrected him. What MS is doing with Tomb Raider 2015 or what Sony is doing with SFV in terms of funding are irrelevant to both the comment i quoted and my response to it.

Last post I will make on this subject.

Around the Network
Protendo said:
Cloudman said:
Didn't Sony help with the funding...? That'd be like asking for multiplats of Bayo 2 o:

Sony is also helping to develop the game. Part of the engine is being made by Sony.

so why is it coming to pc then?

S.T.A.G.E. said:

I would like an explaination as well, but I had your reservations months ago. The news which was just released ended all the speculation for me pertaining to other iterations of five being made to widen the base. I expect some news at E3. I heard Sony was a publisher of the game and Its probably because Capcom has been low on cash.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-will-never-get-a-version-of-street-fighter-5-/1100-6427987/

I do understand. But I remember similar claims being said by the people behind Mass Effect and the PS3 ports and in the end we got them. Makes me wonder if Capcom is in a similar situation with PS4 and Street Fighter.

Yeah, Capcom is like: who wants our IPs? Pay for the development and stuff and you got them. This approach may make sense financially, let's see how Capcom fairs in the end.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Kane1389 said:

so why is it coming to pc then?

Because they made a deal to come to PC.

And Sony supports cross-platform play.

LudicrousSpeed said:

Thats a lot of text trying to analyze a very simple comment. Again, one person says MS started the whole 3rd party exclusive thing, i simply corrected him. What MS is doing with Tomb Raider 2015 or what Sony is doing with SFV in terms of funding are irrelevant to both the comment i quoted and my response to it.

Last post I will make on this subject.

You used Tomb Raider as an example of moneyhatted 3rd party exclusivity. Tomb Raider 2 on the Saturn got the axe due to technical limitations, not Sony moneyhatting.

If you can think of another example for your "correction", I'd like to know, and I'd happily admit that my assessment right now was incorrect, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. The mantra of "Sony didn't have to buy exclusivity" was a thing for a reason (referring to Sony having to buy 3rd party exclusivity for PS3 when the didn't have to for the prior systems). Those reasons being better hardware (PS1) or utter market dominance (PS1 and PS2) making it the go to console.

I know you're trying to brush the false equivalency (co-developing vs. throwing money to keep it off the competition) under the rug of "who started 3rd party exclusivity" by simply saying "I was just correcting a comment", but then, your "correction" was with a false example. So the point of the original comment, which is the only thing you wanted to address, still stands.

Sad news for Xbox one only owners ! Here's some sad violin music:

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P