By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - May NPD thread! PS4 152k; XBO: 139k; WU: 43k; 3DS 97k

Are you ready?

Fuck, YES!!!!! 179 61.94%

Boutros > Ryng Tolu :P 108 37.37%

Total:287
zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:

Well game wise they've pretty much exhausted all their IP on the 3DS, not sure what they could release now that would boost sales in that sense. Metroid is the only main Nintendo IP not really accounted for on the 3DS and that's always been a franchise more on the niche side. 

Hyrule Warriors: All-Stars, Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon, Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer should each sell pretty well but from a system selling perspective none will probably do a whole lot considering they are all spinoffs of games that have already released on 3DS.

Perhaps a new IP with a huge marketing push like Splatoon could help move systems, perhaps Yokai Watch will be as huge in the west as it is in Japan (I doubt it), maybe an official price cut in late summer/early fall? 2DS-$99.99, New 3DS XL'$149.99.

Who knows, maybe sales are better than we think, after all that number we currently have is the minimum it can be for May.

If they cut the New 3DS price that probably means they miss their profit projections for the fiscal year. 

So that's unlikely to happen. 

I think 3DS is just done in the US, that's really all it boils down to. People who thought because Nintendo slapped "New" onto the New 3DS (rather than calling it 3DSi) would somehow mean that the 3DS could go on for 2 more years were being laughably naive. 

Around the Network

3DS numbers aren't necesarily 68k, Nintendo's PR is vague it could be larger and smaller.

jlmurph2 said:
DonFerrari said:

Let's not say the numbers or that we were second, let's comemorate the numbers that rose mainly because we screwed last year may...

MS have been spinning NPD for like 18 months;

Who has ever said their NPD numbers? And why say "we're second" if Sony already said they're first?

Lol you're reaching. 81% growth is something to write about. Doesnt matter if its because Kinectless XB1 was coming. Its growth.

Nintendo gives... MS done a lot last gen... MS spin a lot this gen to have good PR all months while avoiding saying they were second.

Yes, let's celebrate that we almost doubled the month we sabotaged last year... great news.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Skullwaker said:
DonFerrari said:
they using the best information they have to not say they weren´t first and that the numbers aren't great.

What do you expect? It's PR. Every company focuses on the positives.

Nothing else sincerely... but funny enough some people don´t agree it is a spin, they didn't sell great, they just had a crazy growth over a period that was very bad.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
jlmurph2 said:

Who has ever said their NPD numbers? And why say "we're second" if Sony already said they're first?

Lol you're reaching. 81% growth is something to write about. Doesnt matter if its because Kinectless XB1 was coming. Its growth.

Nintendo gives... MS done a lot last gen... MS spin a lot this gen to have good PR all months while avoiding saying they were second.

Yes, let's celebrate that we almost doubled the month we sabotaged last year... great news.

above 100k in the US is good.

Around the Network
KyleeStrutt said:
3DS numbers aren't necesarily 68k, Nintendo's PR is vague it could be larger and smaller.

If it's smaller tho...

Let's hope it's larger, much larger, like 100k

KyleeStrutt said:

Yep, they said it's up OVER 50% compared to last year, we need to know exactly how much over to get an accurate number.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

MS should honestly just throw their support behind Nintendo.

Even if the argument is "competition is good for the consumer", competition is only good, if there's actually any competition taking place.

Sony right now has very weak competition, together Nintendo + MS could create a formidable opponent as they basically fill the needs the other is deficient in.

And really, MS doesn't need the console hardware business. It's peanuts for them in the grand scheme of things.

Unless there is some miracle variable like the Wiimote, which is unlikely to ever happen again now that casuals can play thousands of games for free on their phone that's with them 24/7, the industry has never supported three platforms, all three platforms does is splinter the market and make it easy for the market leader to run away with a victory. 

jlmurph2 said:
DonFerrari said:

they using the best information they have to not say they weren´t first and that the numbers aren't great.

Lol so you expect them to release some depressing PR statement?

That's just bitter. Its not enough that PS4 won, you want MS to belittle themselves too.

I agree. What do people expect them to say. They have to find the positives and avoid the negatives, that's good PR.

As long it's not written/said in a way to not mislead, I'm ok with it.

Wow those 3DS numbers kinda sting. Hopefully they can rebuild some hype for the machine when E3 happens.