By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - May NPD thread! PS4 152k; XBO: 139k; WU: 43k; 3DS 97k

Are you ready?

Fuck, YES!!!!! 179 61.94%

Boutros > Ryng Tolu :P 108 37.37%

Total:287
KdxlavkdX said:

XBO did much better than May 2014!

I'm guessing we won't see another XBO win until the holidays.

It'll be interesting to see what impact the XO price cuts/potential PS4 price cuts may have on sales heading into the holiday season. If Sony achieves price parity with Microsoft at E3, expect MS to be very aggressive with sales/bundles during the holidays in NA.

Around the Network

MLB charting for the 3rd month!

Well deserved!

Dark_Feanor said:
CosmicSex said:
Man I know Microsoft wanted that win going into E3. The thing is: People talk about Xbox One having momentum and that is something that cannot be statistically denied (save March) but then how do we describe the PS4's performance?

Without last year "pretended exclusive" Whatchdogs PS4 lost a lot of momentum this year.

Numbers are not fantastic all around, and it´s far from crushing competition as it was praised here 2 years ago after the Microsoft "Pearl Harbor" E3.

At the time of launch most rational people were picking USA to be close for PS4 and Xb one. Though it turned out to not be the case until Xb one attained a price advantage over PS4. So I don't know what you are getting at by suggesting PS4 is losing steam. Basic economic laws will tell you that not dropping price will eventually lead to slowed sales momentum. PS4 being down YoY is totally expected until a price-cut comes through and more of the market becomes inclined to buy a new gen console. That's how these things work. Xb one is up YoY because it can be had for a far lower price than this time last year, wow what a surprise!

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I also hope in some old gen numbers honestly... i hope in some PS3/XB360/Wii numbers...

Ryng_Tolu said:
KdxlavkdX said:

XBO did much better than May 2014!

I'm guessing we won't see another XBO win until the holidays.

Maybe XBO can win August, because i expect a PS4 pricedrop in September that will eat all August sales, and is even the Madden month... MAYBE.

I was under the impression that the PS4 version sells more; Madden 15 at least. Would I be incorrect to state this?

" It has never been about acknowledgement when you achieve something. When you are acknowledged, then and only then can you achieve something. Always have your friends first to achieve your goals later." - OnlyForDisplay

Around the Network
OnlyForDisplay said:
CosmicSex said:
Man I know Microsoft wanted that win going into E3. The thing is: People talk about Xbox One having momentum and that is something that cannot be statistically denied (save March) but then how do we describe the PS4's performance?

Great games, hype, gamers first mentality, friends on that system, etc, etc. It could be a number of reasons; usually a combination rather than one. I just hope Sony does announce a pricecut for E3; 1TB being one of the biggest high notes of their press conference. I know it will have been almost two years if it is not announced, but I personally do not believe that Sony will ease up on the brakes. As you have stated, Microsoft does have momentum, and for them, I want that to continue. For Sony, it will be time to hit high gear since they do not have much to fall back on for the remainder of this year; God of War 3 Remastered and The Uncharted Collection not being accounted for.

hmmm.... god of war 3 remasterd and uncharted collection for the ps4.... hmmmm

you know, the more i think about it, the more i believe that sony is actually targeting non-loyal x360 owners by offering "this gen games" and "last gen games" all in one system even without B/C...

but truth be told, B/C would have been really epic.

Dark_Feanor said:
CosmicSex said:

Without last year "pretended exclusive" Whatchdogs PS4 lost a lot of momentum this year.

Numbers are not fantastic all around, and it´s far from crushing competition as it was praised here 2 years ago after the Microsoft "Pearl Harbor" E3.

Hmmm.... yest but its still winning at a lower price... How is that.  Every games sold better on PS4 (save Mincraft)?  That didn't even happen last year.  So, either the Xbox One's momentum is fantasy or the PS4's momentum is real.  You see the thing is the Witcher 3 was marketed by Microsoft.  That actually happened. 

Also you state "Without last year "pretended exclusive" Whatchdogs PS4 lost a lot of momentum this year."

How do you know that without May PS4 numbers?

OnlyForDisplay said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

Maybe XBO can win August, because i expect a PS4 pricedrop in September that will eat all August sales, and is even the Madden month... MAYBE.

I was under the impression that the PS4 version sells more; Madden 15 at least. Would I be incorrect to state this?

yes, but XBO have the marketing and have also a bunle. Last year XBO double the sales thanks Madden week.

binary solo said:

No, last month there was a confluence of factors that worked in Xb one's favour: Some retailer specials, Batman special edition bundle (shifting sales from April to June), and perhaps one or two other things. The only chance Xb one had of winning May was if those facotrs favouring Xb one bled into May in a significant way, which they clearly did not. PS4 winning the USA is the new normal outside of the holidays. When the stars align for Xb one it will win the occasional non-holiday month. If PS4 has price parity with Xb one this holidays it's possible Xb one won't even win all the holiday months.

That makes sense. I remember other people pointing out that there may be an upcoming bundle for PS4 and that maybe people could have been holding off buying a PS4 a month back because of that purchase, I guess that could have been a factor as well. Still the amount of units that the Xbone sold more than the PS4 wasn't that big. Talks big about how good are the numbers for PS4 now that they have stabilized.

At the same time now that the Xbox brand is seeing how the reception for a new console post-Xbox360 we can point out the fact that the brand does have gain a nice footing in the NA, just not enough to overtake the PS console, at least for now.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

OnlyForDisplay said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

No, you're right.