By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WiiU can't see my USB stick

Yeah it sucks, but I already finished Splatoon's single player and I'm level 6.

Conina said:
TomaTito said:

• Commercial Flash memory has a limit on the number of times you can write over it and we don't recommend flash memory devices for long-term storage of important save data.

Ain't the internal memory of the Wii U also "commercial flash memory", where my important WiiU, Wii + VC saves are stored?

I guess it's time for a backup.

It's always save to backup whenever you can ;) But internal memory seems like it's an eMMC, similar to an internal SD card.

Here are more usb and storage details:  http://www.reddit.com/r/wiiu/comments/2mi5i8/is_the_wii_us_internal_memory_faster_than_usb/

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network

Sorry man. If you're going to be replacing the USB stick with an external HD, and the external DS doesn't have it's own power source, you can get a USB Y-cable. One end will go into the external HD and the other 2 ends will go into the Wii U. That's what I'm using. The extra power needed will come from the extra cable plugged into the Wii U. If you use only a single cable, the Wii U will detect the external HD but will fail to format it to Wii U OS format.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs

That's what she said.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

TomaTito said:

But it is right in front of it! Anyway to fix it?

Try plugging it in.

amp316 said:
LemonSlice said:
TomaTito said:

But it is right in front of it!

Try plugging it in.

That's what she said.

Classic.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network
TomaTito said:

Yeah it sucks, but I already finished Splatoon's single player and I'm level 6.

Conina said:
TomaTito said:

• Commercial Flash memory has a limit on the number of times you can write over it and we don't recommend flash memory devices for long-term storage of important save data.

Ain't the internal memory of the Wii U also "commercial flash memory", where my important WiiU, Wii + VC saves are stored?

I guess it's time for a backup.

It's always save to backup whenever you can ;) But internal memory seems like it's an eMMC, similar to an internal SD card.

Here are more usb and storage details:  http://www.reddit.com/r/wiiu/comments/2mi5i8/is_the_wii_us_internal_memory_faster_than_usb/

To add to that I think that most the consumer level commercial flash available in the wide variety of USB flash sticks on the market are not built to the same standards as the Wii U's eMMC.

Below are some cut and paste details from the Samsung general press releases for the eMMC components that the Wii U uses (KLM8G2FE3B 8GB and KLMBG4GE4A 32GB):

"The eMMC architecture for embedded memory devices contains not only a data storage element (such as NAND flash memory), but also the controller for the storage element integrated on the same silicon die. Flash memory is often used for data storage, and is commonly controlled by a dedicated controller that operates under the application’s CPU and supervises data reads and writes. However, rapidly increasing memory densities are resulting in memory chips with ever-increasing capacities, making it difficult to keep the controller and memory on separate dies. The eMMC architecture allows devices and applications to maintain the required data rates and throughputs for high-density chips.

The eMMC solution consists of three components – the MMC (multimedia card) interface, the flash memory, and the flash memory controller – and is offered in the industry-standard BGA (ball grid array) package. eMMC is capable of operating at significantly high interface speeds, and provides the designer the flexibility to select the data transfer bus widths and interface voltages. eMMC is extensively used for platforms that require high levels of performance in very small form factors." - source

Features and Benefits

Features Benefits
Density of 4 GB to 64 GB (8GB & 32 for Wii U) Contributes to a variety of mobile designs
Small size Frees up space for other components
Enhanced storage capabilities  Enables traditional storage media to be replaced by lower-power SSDs
Advanced embedded NAND Flash

Helps simplify mass storage designs - Is designed for easier adoption

Standard, mature interface by JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council) Solid State Technology Association Provides strong power management and performance optimization
Intelligent firmware Facilitates easier design work - Provides a common footprint
Single footprint Combines boot, embedded storage and external mass storage in one device
Isolation of the host from changes in NAND memory technology Enables developers to move directly from product concept to product testing
FTL (flash translation layer) bypass Reduces design, development and testing time
Simplified system design and integration of SLC-type and MLC-type NAND memory Contributes to faster overall time to market
Operation at standard 4.41 and 4.5 voltage levels Eliminates the need to develop or use separate firmware - Turns memory access into straightforward read-write operations

- source