By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo Wii U and PS Vita totally deserve what has become of them

Do the Wii U and Vita deserve the sales they have

No they deserve less 37 7.77%

Vita deserves Less, Wii U... 19 3.99%

Wii U does deserve more, Vita deserves less 131 27.52%

They both deserve more 184 38.66%

Vita deserves more, Wii U less 52 10.92%

Wii U should have the com... 52 10.92%

Total:475

Both systems could've done a lot more, and if it weren't for some dumb decisions like the lack of gamepad and 3rd party support for the Wii U, nd the expensive memory cards for the Vita, the consoles would've done significantly better.

I think both consoles deserve their sales, but I think the Wii U could've sold more than it actually did.

At least Nintendo is doing their best to work with the hardware they have on the table, while Sony didn't do a whole lot to really push Vita.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network

Firstly, i love how small you talked about the Vita..................

Well i can say that:
- Nintendo has released AMAZING games on the Wii U, you can check that by reviews/meta or by friends/forums. BUT! NO ONE BUYS THEM! And the problem with that, is Nintendo's marketing.
- Nintendo released the very first AMIIBOS on Wii U. Not on 3DS which has an install base of 50mil+, but on Wii U which has 9mil+. Not even on the Wii or on the DS which both got 100mil+.
- Like you said, Nintendo does play safe. They dont add things like Online Multiplayer in majority of their games. This alone can add lots of replayability, and perhaps more sales.
- Yes Wii U really needs third party support. But who should we blame for that? Nintendo for not making a superior hardware like Xone and PS4? ( but is better than the X360 nd PS3) or the Consumers for not buying the Wii U?

- As you can see with last years e3, the directs and news articles, Nintendo does A LOT of stuff for the Wii U, While SONY barely mentions the PsVita.
- Sony basically used the PsVita as a second controller for the PS4. YES Sony is trying to make the PSVITA a CONTROLLER! Not a Handhled/Console device which you can play exclusive games on it.
- We know there will be tonnes of Wii U games coming in this years e3 ( since Nintendo announced it ), how about for the VITA?
- Basically Sony is moving on with the Project Morpheus, while leaving the Vita in Japan

In the end:
- NO, Wii U deserves more sales
- PSVITA deserves what it has.

and BTW! do you have a PsVita?

Edit: Lastly i want to say that Sony is WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY bigger company than Nintendo. Sony makes more products than Nintendo (TV,Phones) SO basically Sony has more departments which they can advertise the PS4 and the Vita in ( like with the Xperia remote play) and they have more people working across the world. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Cloudman said:
Qwark said:
Cloudman said:
I see the Wii U less as a console that doesn't deserve sales and more as one with a lot of wasted potential. The gamepad could have introduced new ways to play games, which Nintendo Land showed that potential as well as Zombi U, and there were other games that used it in small different ways, but in the end will get under utilized. Although the Wii U lacks in quantity, it really makes it up in its quality. Not many games, but the ones it has, they're dang good. Also, if the next Ninten console ends up being really spectacular, will you still pass it? o:

And Vita too was a console that could have done so much more, but ended up falling off, maybe due to overpriced memory cards, being too expensive, or other factors. Either way, the poor sales of these consoles is really sad : (

I defenitly will not buy it on launch, I have played enough MK, and 3d super mario's I want to see a big new Nintendo IP. Even though the games are good they don't really catch me as much as they did during Wii and GC era. W101 used the gamepad really well and I played the living hell out of that game, it's a shame Nintendo itself doesn't want to use the gamepad well except for party games. And when I compare it to the HD twins, either of those consoles just offer way more and deserve there sales.

That's fair enough. I love Ninten, and I didn't buy the Wii U at launch, so no one's going to mind if you don't do so on the next console ; ) Understandable if you're feeling tired of Ninten's standard games, too. At this rate, they're stable games Ninten likes to have for fun local and online MP play, like MK and Smash. With Splatoon now, maybe that one will join them. Maybe Ninten will show off a game that brings out the best of the gamepad at the end of its life. Till then, they still have other games coming soon. Star Fox, Fatal Frame, SM x FE, Mario Maker, etc. anyone? ; )

Though yeah, the PS4 and XB1 do offer more than then Wii U, so it's understandable if you want either of those over the Wii U

I also have a PS4 that's why I am comparing them, perhaps star fox feels fresh again, mario maker seems to be Nintendo's LBP, yet forgets many fundamentals which made LBP awesome. Splatoon is a good step and who knows Nintendo announces some new BIG IP's for the Wii U, a standard year is fine like MS is having this year. But sometimes you got to be innovative especially at least 5 times during one gen. I would like Nintendo to be that since they can and they have talent enough to do so.

Even though the Wii was targeted at casuals and underpowered, it actually did some amazing things with the Wii mote, overused it a bit in the latest Zelda and Smash was unplayable with it but still. It also brought us Xenoblade, while it's a bit to Japanese for me I respect the effort and it had some third party support. Perhaps they announce something like that during E3. Pergaps with the NX (if it even is a home console) they regain some third party support to fill the gaps and be more innovative in their game releases like Sony and arguabaly even MS. (Even if they bought or let others develop most new IP's)

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Qwark said:
Miyamotoo said:

I will always prefer great high quality sequel over mediocre new IP. Situation when you get great and new IP are very rare, but Splatoon done that.

Bloodborne, Uncharted, TLOU, Gears of War, LBP, Xenoblade were great new (exclusive) IPs, Splatoon is a good one liek sunset overdrive and driveclub in it's current form at best since it lacks some noticable functions like crosschat for a strategic shooter in which a good strategy which have to be communicated could really pay off.

That's not very impressive number of great new IPs because you count previous gen too.

From this gen for now, only great and new IPs are Sunset, Bloodborne (lot of fans calling this game a spiritual successor to Dark Souls) and Splatoon.

PAOerfulone said:
Retrogamer7 said:
The fact that they did not make a 3D Mario is disappointing. No Mario Galaxy 3 or Mario Universe. There should have been a proper 3D Mario sequel. I don't count 3D World. Delaying Zelda. No Metroid. Very poor Virtual console support. Yes, Wii U deserves failure status.

As for Vita, If you like Japanese games, PSP support, PS1 classics on the go, etc. It is worth owning. However, it's ridiculous high price, and the newer models having an inferior screen that has off tint color, Vita is deserving of only little more success than Wii U in my opinion.

-3D World DOES count. It IS a 3D Mario game, and a damn good one too. I loved Galaxy 1 and 2 as well, in fact they're the 2 best games I've ever played. But I don't need a Galaxy 3, would it be nice, yes. Does any other Mario game that doesn't have it's gameplay style automatically suck? Of course not, that's a completely unintelligent assumption to make.
- a) It's Zelda, of course it would get delayed. Which Zelda game to this point hasn't already. b) They're doing it to make the game the best it could possibly be. After what happening with Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed: Unity, and the Master Chief Collection last year. I really, REALLY don't want Zelda to go down that route. Do you really want to see one of gamings longest standing and greatest franchises become a broken, rushed shell of its former glory?
- The Wii U still has 1-2 years left in its cycle, and we haven't heard a peep out of Retro since Tropical Freeze came out, and E3 is right around the corner. So I wouldn't right off the possibility of a Metroid game for Wii U just yet.

I completly agree.

I will just add this, even if Virtual Console was poor, now its pretty good, it have GBA and DS game, and now we have N64 game too.

Around the Network
Jranation said:

Well i can say that:
- Nintendo has released AMAZING games on the Wii U, you can check that by reviews/meta or by friends/forums. BUT! NO ONE BUYS THEM! And the problem with that, is Nintendo's marketing.
- Nintendo released the very first AMIIBOS on Wii U. Not on 3DS which has an install base of 50mil+, but on Wii U which has 9mil+. Not even on the Wii or on the DS which both got 100mil+.
- Like you said, Nintendo does play safe. They dont add things like Online Multiplayer in majority of their games. This alone can add lots of replayability, and perhaps more sales.
- Yes Wii U really needs third party support. But who should we blame for that? Nintendo for not making a superior hardware like Xone and PS4? ( but is better than the X360 nd PS3) or the Consumers for not buying the Wii U?

- As you can see with last years e3, the directs and news articles, Nintendo does A LOT of stuff for the Wii U, While SONY barely mentions the PsVita.
- Sony basically used the PsVita as a second controller for the PS4. YES Sony is trying to make the PSVITA a CONTROLLER! Not a Handhled/Console device which you can play exclusive games on it.
- We know there will be tonnes of Wii U games coming in this years e3 ( since Nintendo announced it ), how about for the VITA?
- Basically Sony is moving on with the Project Morpheus, while leaving the Vita in Japan

In the end:

Edit: Lastly i want to say that Sony is WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY bigger company than Nintendo. Sony makes more products than Nintendo (TV,Phones) SO basically Sony has more departments which they can advertise the PS4 and the Vita in ( like with the Xperia remote play) and they have more people working across the world. 

Nope but I got a Wii U, but since both consoles have absimal sales it is just a simple analyse of why these consoles (or console and hh) have low sales. To your question of who's to blame Nintendo should have made the console we want. Which was a console in the middle of X360and PS4, not barely better than 7th gen, with a worse CPU. Not adding things is exactly the problem, it's all the same old even though well executed once in a while I want to play something new, not claiming PS4 or Xone does everything perfect but Ninty can defenitly learn something from them.

Sony's threatment of the Vita was for except the first 2 years terrible, it launched quite well with an Uncharted and Wipeout, but letting it bleed to death like that was stupid. The only thing what makes the Vita not entirely worthless are some PS+ Indiegames and Japanse games if that's your piece of pie. If the Vita hits the bargain bin for around €125- I will perhaps use it as travel companion (Wipeout, Uncharted, Killzone, LBP, Tearaway and recistance seems enough for that) and PS4 controller.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

I think Wii U deserves better sales at least one pair with GC. Vita deserves what's getting.

Even if Nintendo made some big Wii U mistakes like bad name, bad marketing, software drought...Nintendo gave Wii U 100% support and thats why Wii U have fantastic Nintendo games and more are coming.

On other hand, Sony too made some serious Vita mistakes, but unlikely Nintendo, Sony completely abandon Vita, and everywhere except Japan it's only Indie console.

They don't actually have feelings......yet.

Qwark said:
Jranation said:

Well i can say that:

In the end:

Nope but I got a Wii U, but since both consoles have absimal sales it is just a simple analyse of why these consoles (or console and hh) have low sales. To your question of who's to blame Nintendo should have made the console we want. Which was a console in the middle of X360and PS4, not barely better than 7th gen, with a worse CPU. Not adding things is exactly the problem, it's all the same old even though well executed once in a while I want to play something new, not claiming PS4 or Xone does everything perfect but Ninty can defenitly learn something from them.

Sony's threatment of the Vita was for except the first 2 years terrible, it launched quite well with an Uncharted and Wipeout, but letting it bleed to death like that was stupid. The only thing what makes the Vita not entirely worthless are some PS+ Indiegames and Japanse games if that's your piece of pie. If the Vita hits the bargain bin for around €125- I will perhaps use it as travel companion (Wipeout, Uncharted, Killzone, LBP, Tearaway and recistance seems enough for that) and PS4 controller.

Oh! thats makes sense, to why you wrote less about the Vita. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Qwark said:

Now the Wii U has better support, but where MS is getting crap for releasing sequels, Nintendo does seem to come away with it easily. If we count only true new games from Nintendo and not direct sequels or some sort of spinoffs, Splatoon and the W101 are the only games which are actually new, for the sake of it I like Nintendo reviving bayo 2, but there was no way this was going to be a succes. If we count this year, except Splatoon I have to see what other game is really worth buying. While the Twins already got The Witcher 3, Pcars and Mortal kombat X. 

Sorry, you lost credibility here. You do realize both of the bolded are sequels?