By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I pray the Steam Machine becomes a competitive console.

Your point is a bit convoluted.
You say you use the PC because you don't have to listen to people talk about which one is better...yet you are currently disparaging the consoles in favor of PC, and even acknowledge the PC Master Race meme exists. And you also say you don't need to pray which game comes to your system, but meanwhile, there are tons of exclusive that will never hit PC.

Like, OK.

Around the Network

Although I like more competition, I feel the shrinking console market isn't big enough for more than 3 console manufacturers.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

I'm praying the opposite. There is no need for another console in the gaming industry and I don't want it to give the wrong impression to manufacturer than a digital only console is okay.

The I3 model for the alienware alpha is around $400 and it does play next gen games. You'll probably want to upgrade to 8 gb of ram eventually but it does seem to run current gen games at least well enough to give users a good experience. For the 400, you are able to play current games but at the end of it, you have a window operating system not to mention the thing is tiny and you can upgrade it.Add up the value for all the parts including the xbox controller and adapater, windows, and the free games they give and  I actually thought it was a pretty good deal.

With that said, I'm not even sure there is enough room for 3 competitors as it is. I feel like if Nintendo doesn't hit a homerun or atleast a triple with their next console, they may find themselves pushed out of the console market. This along with a shrinking handheld market and you begin to understand why they are branching off into industries. They are making lots of changes, hopefully in a few years they land on their feet because I really enjoy their games.

Yeah because there's no fanboyism on PC gaming. *cough* AMD/Intel/Nvidia

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network

true, i hope we all buy steam boxes ,

i really can't stand the internet telling me PS4 is losing when in reality it has already won and it would definitely help nintendo next console to a win if xbox/ps fans bought steam boxes instead

I smell like the dark forest of Dwemereth in the morning mist                                                   fanboy til i'm bankrupt

They won't though.

Seihaku said:
Eddie_Raja said:
Steam machine really isn't a console. In reality it's just Steam OS, and it is attempting to be an alternative to Windows for gaming.

It's Steam OS, a game dedicated OS, running on its own standalone hardware. So technically it kind of is a console, but it's more of a HTPC.

Though if other companies do like Alienware and release a Windows 8.1 and Steam OS version of the same hardware for roughly the same price, you may as well get the Windows 8.1 version for the license and dual boot Steam OS. Or just have Windows 8 autorun Steam in Big Picture mode on boot.

FWIW, Steam Big Picture seemed almost like a side project initially, and it still worked better than the Xbox One or PS4 GUIs from a practicality standpoint.

It's not dedicated hardware at all.  All of these "Consoles" are made from off the shelf parts.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

how is this the worst gen?? social gaming, competitive online gaming..... all the Dev tools..... streaming BC .... this is all good? I mean u can stream every PS game on ps4 soon

mM
leo-j said:
how is this the worst gen?? social gaming, competitive online gaming..... all the Dev tools..... streaming BC .... this is all good? I mean u can stream every PS game on ps4 soon

I don't get what people are expecting. It has never been easier and more conveinent to game. I jump in and out of TV, the Web Broser, WWE Network, and games on my PS4 so quick and simpily it is rediculous. The shear amount of games already available on PS4 is way more than I can ever hope to experience. I am already having to skip out on stuff I want to play, just because I don't have the time.

Between natvie games, PlayStation Now, and all of the other services I am on my PS4 more than any device I have ever owned. 

Concerning Steam Machines becoming competitive, I hope they don't. The market is already getting extreamly split up, and it is causing massive development issues. Three or four big players is more than enough. At this point the market needs to figure out what it wants, and shift to that platform. Having 100's of diferent device configurations and dozens of operating systems is a sure fire way to cause a major electronics crash, and the game industry is by far the most susceptible.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL