By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I pray the Steam Machine becomes a competitive console.

I pray they don't. I don't want their DRM infested approach on consoles too. People should start supporting GoG on PC, because that's a gamer-friendly approach.

Steam sells games cheaper because they aren't selling the same games that GoG/Sony/MS/Ninty. They are selling always online, DRM infested version that can have the pull plugged anytime.

Anyway, it will probably flop and it will be lovable to see MS/Sony/Nintendo kick them out of the console market. Hopefully, it can also damage the company or at least their image.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
I think SteamMachines are the ones with the most to fear actually.

If Windows 10 upd for Xbox makes it able to play "normal" pc games, that alone would kill anything the steammachines could hope to achieve. I dont really think theres any reason MS wouldnt want their consol able to be a 2-in-1 type (both a normal pc, and a gameing consol).

It won't, but besides that there's too many obstacles in letting the Xbox One play "normal" pc games, namely games that don't take proper advantage of the architecture will not run particularly well. But it'd allow a limited library of older titles to be played quite nicely.

With how poor the CPU is in both consoles and the fact the GPUs are basically 7870's on a good day, I can see the SteamBox's outperforming them in a couple iterations without breaking a sweat, for now that form factor is crippling them like crazy.

Ryudo said:
Steam Machines will flop. They don't appeal to most consoles gamers as they will get a PS4,Xbox or Wii U. They don't appeal to PC gamers as they build their own. So who is this for? A few curious people and money burning a hole in their pocket? Sorry not going to cut it.

Industry can barely handle 3 systems it will implode with 4.

I know how to build a PC but I don't enjoy doing it and its still expensive compared to a X1 or PS4.

If I could simply go to the store like Walmart and grab a PC with specs at par of 8th gen consoles for around $400 I would get one. It doesn't look like Steam machines offer that either.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

torok said:
Steam sells games cheaper because they aren't selling the same games that GoG/Sony/MS/Ninty. They are selling always online, DRM infested version that can have the pull plugged anytime.

You don't have to be online to play steam games.....

Seihaku said:
JRPGfan said:

If Windows 10 upd for Xbox makes it able to play "normal" pc games, that alone would kill anything the steammachines could hope to achieve. I dont really think theres any reason MS wouldnt want their consol able to be a 2-in-1 type (both a normal pc, and a gameing consol).

It won't, but besides that there's too many obstacles in letting the Xbox One play "normal" pc games, namely games that don't take proper advantage of the architecture will not run particularly well. But it'd allow a limited library of older titles to be played quite nicely.

What makes you think that? With DX12 cpu requirements will drop like a rock, for gameing.

That 8core 1.7ghz? cpu from amd will be plenty to play games, and gpu wise, they have enough grunt to make pc gameing viable.

MS makes a APP you hit that "auto" sets a "best possible" config for XZY games... 

So you buy a pc game via microsoft, hit the app, and its running on your xbox, like it would on a normal pc.

Around the Network

Steam machines are a very silly thing. They're just PCs sold as consoles...

Anyway don't worry everyone has a PC at home and so has acces to Steam whenever he wants (125 million users and growing). PS4 is selling well yes but 8th gen's overall sales will be much less than 7th and so on, and consoles will disappear in a few gens if they keep abusing with things like online subscription payment and games more expensive than on PC, so don't worry Microsoft and Sony's worst enemies are themselves.

They will flop - console gamers don't want it, PC gamers laugh at it. And playing with that controller against anyone with kb/m is an exercise in futility.

JRPGfan said:
Seihaku said:
JRPGfan said:

What makes you think that? With DX12 cpu requirements will drop like a rock, for gameing.

That 8core 1.7ghz? cpu from amd will be plenty to play games, and gpu wise, they have enough grunt to make pc gameing viable.

MS makes a APP you hit that "auto" sets a "best possible" config for XZY games... 

So you buy a pc game via microsoft, hit the app, and its running on your xbox, like it would on a normal pc.

Despite what's being sold, requirements don't "drop like a rock" like that, it's been promised in the past and always gets quietly "swept under the rug" is all. 

I own a PS4 and Xbox One, and have a slightly superior PC to either that Steam Streaming works extremely well on (for single player games) streaming to an old laptop. So I'm good without one either way, I do like the form factor though. I would like to test out that controller.

And props to nVidia and ATI for getting even low-mid range cards that ability to run 1080p/45 - 60fps on high in almost everything these days. I'll worry about 4K when 4K projectors become affordable.

I pray you stop praying.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Rather have Samsung to join but okay.