By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I pray the Steam Machine becomes a competitive console.

I wish they were too but they won't. Valve should have gone with ONE graphics/hardware manufacturer and delivered 2 machines.

$499 (high)
$599 (ultra)

The goal would be delivering each respective settings at 60fps, 1080p. unbundle HDMI and controller if costs are that tight, but making it an open market with dozens of different configurations will not help them lower prices and kind of negatesthe point of it being a "console".

Around the Network

Out of interest, how has this generation been the worst for you other then graphics? How are Sony/MS/Nintendo at fault?

qwertyDANIELqwerty said:

For 3 generations in a row, it has been Nintendo VS Playstation VS Xbox. To me, this generation is the worst out of all generations for gaming. I have never had any reasons to dislike gaming in my life until now. I enjoy the Wii U, but that is not to say it has some HUGE issues with the console, don't get me wrong. So, I have been getting into PC gaming much more simply because they are doing it right and consoles are doing it wrong. I don't play PC because I want to see an extra few frames a second just so I can brag to "console peasents" because I am "Master race". No, none of that. I enjoy it simply because I don't have to be in constant fire of which console is better. I don't need to pray which game comes to my console. I don't need to have any of the problems with this generation. If the Steam Machine is a console killer, it will be a wake-up call for all 3 companies that they ALL need to get their act together. 

Mark my words, if it stays at just these 3 companies with dominant consoles next generation, I feel the game market doesn't go a decade without crashing from today. I am getting sick of the crap going on in the game industry, and we need a console to save it. That's my opinion at least.

when was the last time you saw a game developed or financed by valve or nvidia? now compare that to sony, microsoft and nintendo and then think again.

0815user said:
qwertyDANIELqwerty said:

For 3 generations in a row, it has been Nintendo VS Playstation VS Xbox. To me, this generation is the worst out of all generations for gaming. I have never had any reasons to dislike gaming in my life until now. I enjoy the Wii U, but that is not to say it has some HUGE issues with the console, don't get me wrong. So, I have been getting into PC gaming much more simply because they are doing it right and consoles are doing it wrong. I don't play PC because I want to see an extra few frames a second just so I can brag to "console peasents" because I am "Master race". No, none of that. I enjoy it simply because I don't have to be in constant fire of which console is better. I don't need to pray which game comes to my console. I don't need to have any of the problems with this generation. If the Steam Machine is a console killer, it will be a wake-up call for all 3 companies that they ALL need to get their act together. 

Mark my words, if it stays at just these 3 companies with dominant consoles next generation, I feel the game market doesn't go a decade without crashing from today. I am getting sick of the crap going on in the game industry, and we need a console to save it. That's my opinion at least.

when was the last time you saw a game developed or financed by valve or nvidia? now compare that to sony, microsoft and nintendo and then think again.

:(

(I guess the proper answer would be Dota 2, two years ago... All I want is another Half-Life and another Portal, or similar. Dammit.)

qwertyDANIELqwerty said:

To me, this generation is the worst out of all generations for gaming. I have never had any reasons to dislike gaming in my life until now. I enjoy the Wii U, but that is not to say it has some HUGE issues with the console, don't get me wrong.

You dont really enjoy the Wii U that much do you?

Around the Network

Steam consoles have no target market to aim for, and will flop. Even if they don't outright fail, they will never be a serious competitor to MS and Sony.
As for your predicament, I would suggest to try to overcome that irrational fear/hate for XBox and PlayStation, choose one and you will be much better off than with a Steam Machine.

Barkley said:
torok said:
Steam sells games cheaper because they aren't selling the same games that GoG/Sony/MS/Ninty. They are selling always online, DRM infested version that can have the pull plugged anytime.

You don't have to be online to play steam games.....

It allows you to be offline for an ammount of time (30 days, if I'm remebering it right). It's the Steam offline mode. However, if the servers were turned down, the games would eventually stop working.

torok said:
Barkley said:

You don't have to be online to play steam games.....

It allows you to be offline for an ammount of time (30 days, if I'm remebering it right). It's the Steam offline mode. However, if the servers were turned down, the games would eventually stop working.

According to valve there is no time limit on offline mode - http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/864969953572102601/#c864969953730401285

It's unimaginable at the moment that steam could ever go under with it's current monopoly on pc gaming. Even if the unthinkable happened they would just be bought out. If for whatever reason they had to cease business and no one else would take up the reigns then I'm sure they would disable the DRM which is built into the steam dll files not the games themselves so disabling it across the entire library would be a simple task.

Seihaku said:
0815user said:
qwertyDANIELqwerty said:

:(

(I guess the proper answer would be Dota 2, two years ago... All I want is another Half-Life and another Portal, or similar. Dammit.)

There are ALOT of games like half-life, in gameplay.

portal like games:

The Talos Principle  (soon to be on ps4) 

Pneuma: Breath of Life (soon to be on ps4)

Scale (soon to be on ps4)

The Witchness (soon to be on ps4)

The ball (on pc, steam/gog)

Q.U.B.E ( pc)

Antichamber (pc)

Barkley said:

According to valve there is no time limit on offline mode - http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/864969953572102601/#c864969953730401285

It's unimaginable at the moment that steam could ever go under with it's current monopoly on pc gaming. Even if the unthinkable happened they would just be bought out. If for whatever reason they had to cease business and no one else would take up the reigns then I'm sure they would disable the DRM which is built into the steam dll files not the games themselves so disabling it across the entire library would be a simple task.

That's pretty much debatable: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/291-steam/63506584. People also observed this behavior: http://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/1i5lkh/2_week_limit_in_offline_mode/. Valve claims that it's a bug and it's not "by design". I don't buy this. Even the link you posted contains several people that had set up it on offline mode and it just required a connection weeks or months later. Not very offline at all.

There are situation that force the Steam client to require an active internet connection to resync data and then you can re-enable offline mode. They can't provide more details about it, but they confirm that it exists.

Every company can go under. I could list several cases of monopolies that aren't here anymore. We can't be sure that they would disable the DRM because:

- It's a closed system that we don't know nothing about, except what Valve says.

- We don't know if Valve can do it or if they need the game's publisher authorization. Steam games are cheaper than other digital storefronts and few publishers try GoG. It seems like the DRM is interesting enough to make them sell the games cheaper and give huge discounts. Remember, there is no free lunch.

- Even in offline mode, they could still pull the plug if they wish. You can't be sure that it is 100% offline unless you really cut the network communication on your PC or block the client on the firewall.