By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nikkei: Nintendo NX to use Android OS

the_dengle said:
Soundwave said:

To be honest I spend $250 for the 3DS this gen (bought it at launch) and $350 for the Wii U. That's a $600 hardware investment to (basically) play Nintendo games. 

The set up they have right now isn't cheap. 

If I'm spending that kind of coin, give me something reasonably powered. 

Buying consoles at launch? You walked into that yourself. I bought my 3DS for $160 and my Wii U for $225. I literally spent 35% less than you did for the exact same machines, and got some extra games thrown in for good measure.

From your perspective, the two consoles were underpowered, because you bought them. From mine, they were overpriced, which is why I did not. The difference is that I don't relate their power to their value, meaning the Wii U could have been twice as powerful as the PS4 and I still wouldn't have paid $350 for it unless it had an amazing lineup of releases that simply demanded a purchase.

Video games in general are not cheap which is why it's great to be able to buy a handheld and a home console for under $400 when the next-cheapest alternative is the PS4+Vita combo at $700. Next gen I want Nintendo to aim for that $400 combined price of both platforms, not $400 apiece.

PS4 + Vita is $650 for me both at launch ($400 for the PS4 + $250 for the Vita). So basically that was a whopping $50 more than I paid for the Wii U + 3DS. 

I don't even mind paying the price, but give my freaking money's worth. That's all I ask. I don't want a freaking super low resolution screen that the 3DS has. 

Yes, sure you can have fun experiences on 20-year-old Genesis too if that's what you want. Great games are great no matter what. But if I'm paying $500 for a hotel room, then it would be nice to have a robe and slippers in the closet and a few other amenities, not just a bare room with a rock hard bed in the middle and a fat tube TV from 1996. 

For a device I'll be using for hours and hours and hours for 5 years minimum, I don't have a problem dropping $300 instead of $200. The $100 is immaterial in the overall scheme of things. Just give my money's worth hardware. I think that's a reasonable ask. Don't fuck us as consumers. It's 2015. Give me a handheld that feels like it was actually made in 2015. 

I don't give two poops that 11-year-old Bobby might not be able to afford it because mommy & daddy can't buy one for him right away. He can wait a year for the price to go down, kids these days have too much shit anyway. I had to wait for the Super NES to drop in price before my parents would buy me one. 

Around the Network

This is a fantastic idea btw. I know people don't want to accept it but the handheld market is drying up. 3DS had a strong start but sales fell off a cliff after a couple years. The Vita never even got off the ground. At this rate Nintendo's next handheld will have a difficult time topping 50m units lifetime.

A Nintendo-branded tablet is the smartest idea moving forwars. You'll still have the same Nintendo games, but now you'll have a bunch more 3rd party support in addition. Plus you can use the tablet as a far more capable entertainment device than a 3DS could ever hope to be.

I don't really see the downsides here.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

I was hoping for something like this. It's a bold move but makes a lot of sense.

I believe that it would be android underneath and Nintendo on top. It wouldn't look like android. I am not an expert but I think Nintendo could build all the same anti-piracy tech they use right now on top of android if they so chose.

believe it when i see it :O

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network

a nintendo branded tablet which has nintendo exclusive, That is more game centric, has the 3rd party support, and the 3rd party apps in spades. This is actually really smart

Soundwave said:

PS4 + Vita is $650 for me both at launch ($400 for the PS4 + $250 for the Vita). So basically that was a whopping $50 more than I paid for the Wii U + 3DS. 

I don't even mind paying the price, but give my freaking money's worth. That's all I ask. I don't want a freaking super low resolution screen that the 3DS has. 

Yes, sure you can have fun experiences on 20-year-old Genesis too if that's what you want. Great games are great no matter what. But if I'm paying $500 for a hotel room, then it would be nice to have a robe and slippers in the closet and a few other amenities, not just a bare room with a rock hard bed in the middle and a fat tube TV from 1996. 

For a device I'll be using for hours and hours and hours for 5 years minimum, I don't have a problem dropping $300 instead of $200. The $100 is immaterial in the overall scheme of things. Just give my money's worth hardware. I think that's a reasonable ask. Don't fuck us as consumers. It's 2015. Give me a handheld that feels like it was actually made in 2015. 

I don't give two poops that 11-year-old Bobby might not be able to afford it because mommy & daddy can't buy one for him right away. He can wait a year for the price to go down, kids these days have too much shit anyway. I had to wait for the Super NES to drop in price before my parents would buy me one. 

You picked the more expensive Wii U model, so I picked the more expensive Vita model. My point stands, I hate to say it's your fault for buying the consoles at launch since it's Nintendo's fault for pricing them that high, but you knew how powerful they were. At the time you decided that power was worth what you were paying for it. Now you feel buyer's remorse.

I don't care what's in your $500 hotel room. I want a $300 hotel room. Why can't that be an option?

$100 is not immaterial, it's the price of two games -- $200 is less immaterial, it's the price of more than three games, and that's just for one of two platforms. We're talking about a difference of more than $200 between what you and I spent on hardware for the same machines, and still you're asking Nintendo to charge more for them so they can be beefier.

Your last paragraph is pretty indicative of your generally exclusionary attitude, I don't think you give two poops about what anyone wants or might be able to afford, other than yourself. You don't mind spending more so you want more power, okay. Buy a PC. Buy a PS4. Buy an Xbox One. There are lots of high-end options for gaming machines. It's good for there to be one single more affordable option. You claim to want "a better product for we the gamer" yet you are dismissive of Bobby, who is no less a gamer than you are. The under-16 demographic is huge not only for Nintendo but for the industry as a whole. Saying "screw them, make a machine tailor-made to my tastes" is not a healthy message for the market.

Honestly the way you condescend to other gamers is somewhat gross. I waited over a year to buy a 3DS and over two and a half years to buy a Wii U, would you like to tell me I had too much shit already and give me some patronizing schlock about mommy and daddy?

Android+VC (Nes/snes/N64/Gc/Wii/WiiU)=THE Ultimate gaming device. :)
Btw, this rumour means that the touchscreen will stay with Nintendo next gen. ;)

I'm an android fan....so I'm biased.

I'm pretty sure it will have two modes then then, a NX mode and a android mode. Just like Wii-U has a seperate Wii mode. Otherwise piracy would become waaay to easy.