By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon: Nintendo why do you insist on bad ideas for great games?!

the motion controller is actually pretty sweet. the fact that you can reset it by hitting Y is huge and I'd go as far to say if you're not using the motion you're at a disadvantage in terms of speed in aiming

Around the Network
JNK said:
superchunk said:

There is NO damn reason local multiplayer should be limited to 1v1. This mode should allow 4v local OR 4 local vs 4 online

Did you ever played local 1vs1? the framerate decrease dramaticaly, i doubt the wii u could handle 4 players.

It could if it were not trying to display two screens. Just split-screen on TV done. Samething they've done countless times before.

Bofferbrauer said:
The problem with local multiplayer is that only one player would have the map, and thus he would be the only one who can make superjumps. Kinda destroys the balance.

You could probably however turn that feature off for local multi, then 2 vs 2 would be much better. Heck, you could even do console vs console 4 vs 4 that way

A free for all has the problem that it would need the same amount of bases as players and just as many colors, which would be very confusing and impractical for turf wars. Remember, it's not a standard shooter where the main goal is to shoot everybody, but to ink your turf in your color.

Having Bots would be a nice thing, but I don't know how big the hurdle for such an AI is, constantly switching beween coloring the ground and inking ennemies with non-too-perfect aim (no perfect play AI) sounds very complicated to do imo, so I guess while Nintendo might be able to pull that off, it's gonna take a while until the result is satisfactory.

Why can't so many of you think outside of the box? You don't need a touchscreen to do a superjump feature. Your spawn screen can easily show a mini map and you can select between the at most 3 other people with the stick. Its just not that hard people.

Also in 1v1v1v1 local (which is where this comes into play) there is no one to jump to as you are not a team and you have random spawn points.

superchunk said:
Bofferbrauer said:
The problem with local multiplayer is that only one player would have the map, and thus he would be the only one who can make superjumps. Kinda destroys the balance.

You could probably however turn that feature off for local multi, then 2 vs 2 would be much better. Heck, you could even do console vs console 4 vs 4 that way

A free for all has the problem that it would need the same amount of bases as players and just as many colors, which would be very confusing and impractical for turf wars. Remember, it's not a standard shooter where the main goal is to shoot everybody, but to ink your turf in your color.

Having Bots would be a nice thing, but I don't know how big the hurdle for such an AI is, constantly switching beween coloring the ground and inking ennemies with non-too-perfect aim (no perfect play AI) sounds very complicated to do imo, so I guess while Nintendo might be able to pull that off, it's gonna take a while until the result is satisfactory.

Why can't so many of you think outside of the box? You don't need a touchscreen to do a superjump feature. Your spawn screen can easily show a mini map and you can select between the at most 3 other people with the stick. Its just not that hard people.

Also in 1v1v1v1 local (which is where this comes into play) there is no one to jump to as you are not a team and you have random spawn points.

You can superjump at any point during the game and on the GamePad you are able to see the map at all times. With that being said, there are so many unused inputs that they could have mapped the buttons to a Pro Controller and make the map (and all the other features like Squid Jump or the missile) appear on screen. In that regard the GamePad would offer an "advantage" but it isn't absolutely necessary.

superchunk said:
JNK said:

Did you ever played local 1vs1? the framerate decrease dramaticaly, i doubt the wii u could handle 4 players.

It could if it were not trying to display two screens. Just split-screen on TV done. Samething they've done countless times before.

well that was something i found bad about mario kart. You got 2 damn screens so use them for local 2 player mode.

Maybe they will lower the resolution on tv and lower the graphics a bit and be able to make 2 player 60 fps. Its working on call of duty too.

i think the fps issue is the only reason for no online local 2 player mode. It wouldnt be fair to play 30 fps vs. other guys 60 fps. 

The superjump buttons could easily be mapped on the dpad (dpad up- jump teammate 1; dpad right - jump teammate 2 etc.). Scince many people want a local 2 player online mode they might add it in the big august update. I wont say its impossible.

i wont expect a local 4 player online mod though. there is no way for 60 fps. Mario kart doesnt work online 4 player for that reason.

Around the Network
ohmylanta1003 said:
Cream147 said:
If you're using dual analog, you're handicapping yourself. The motion controls are objectively better than dual analog - they just take more time to get used to.

And yeah, the framerate is already bad enough in the local mode, so I doubt they could have done much more with that.

Completely disagree. I am always the top player on my team and I use dual analog. I find motion controls (for me) inferior.

You're the second person who has used that ridiculous argument with me in the past couple of days. Just because you're good at the game, doesn't mean you wouldn't be better if you mastered the motion controls. Again, you objectively would, because they simply allow for more precision (edit: and speed of movement). If this game ever gets played at a properly competitive level no one will be using dual analog.

superchunk said:
Bofferbrauer said:

I second this. There may be some disadvantages to using a normal controller but they are minor. 1v1v1v1 and 2v2 local matches would be awesome. The positive aspects would far outweigh the small negative ones. 

Cream147 said:

You're the second person who has used that ridiculous argument with me in the past couple of days. Just because you're good at the game, doesn't mean you wouldn't be better if you mastered the motion controls. Again, you objectively would, because they simply allow for more precision (edit: and speed of movement). If this game ever gets played at a properly competitive level no one will be using dual analog.

I'm definitely going to give the motion more time. Seems like a lot of positive feedback can be found on the various sites on this.

Cream147 said:
ohmylanta1003 said:
Cream147 said:
If you're using dual analog, you're handicapping yourself. The motion controls are objectively better than dual analog - they just take more time to get used to.

And yeah, the framerate is already bad enough in the local mode, so I doubt they could have done much more with that.

Completely disagree. I am always the top player on my team and I use dual analog. I find motion controls (for me) inferior.

It's a valid argument and certainly not as ridiculous as you make it seem. I disagree entirely that the best players would use motion controls and until someone proves me wrong, I'm going to continue thinking that. Sensitivity can also be changed, which means that your speed of movement argument falls apart. And I don't know why you get to say that motion controls are more precise, so I'll just state my opinion that not using motion controls allows for more controlled play. Let's not act like your statement isn't an opinion as well. If you would like to believe motion controls are better, you're entitled to that. But you cannot say at this point in time that regardless of the player, situation, etc. that motion controls are better than dual analog.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

ohmylanta1003 said:
Cream147 said:

It's a valid argument and certainly not as ridiculous as you make it seem. I disagree entirely that the best players would use motion controls and until someone proves me wrong, I'm going to continue thinking that. Sensitivity can also be changed, which means that your speed of movement argument falls apart. And I don't know why you get to say that motion controls are more precise, so I'll just state my opinion that not using motion controls allows for more controlled play. Let's not act like your statement isn't an opinion as well. If you would like to believe motion controls are better, you're entitled to that. But you cannot say at this point in time that regardless of the player, situation, etc. that motion controls are better than dual analog.

I second this, dual analog has been a staple in most games because it is naturally precise and quick. Otherwise motion control would have replaced the dual analog stick for the motion controls found in metroid prime (the kinect and in built gyroscopes in controllers would have allowed this to happen). You can prefer motion controls, but dual analog sticks won't be replaced in competitive tournaments for a while. Sometimes the old control schemes are the best and cannot be replaced, which is why the gamecube adapter was created for competitive play in smash bros.