By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has the Wii U irreparably damaged Nintendo's image?

Nintendo has struggled with their image ever since "Sega does what Nintendon't." The Wii U situation is probably doing more good than harm to their image right now, simply because everyone loves an underdog.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
At the rate it is going the Wii U will take another 2-3 months to break 10 million according to vgchartz! It will be lucky to be at 11 by the end of the year, even with Star Fox. Then as the new system comes next year hopefully and not this year it will struggle even more. The (most likely scenario) dual release Zelda game will not help much. Makes me sad and a little upset at the same time that Nintendo a billion dollar company could let it get this bad, this dire!

Well, no real widespread opinion of a must have game will do that, at least that we know so far for the year. A must have game could do wonders and E3 is just around the corner. Remember, 3D World, Legend Of Zelda, Splatoon, and Mario Maker were all announced at E3 to very high praise. If they were able to show something that they hid they could release this holiday, or Star Fox or Devil's Third really do something special and aren't delayed it could at least give a small boost to consoles. Get a price drop going, and with a 3D World bundle, a Splatoon bundle, a Xeno X bundle, and whatever else they could do would all help. I only see them barely selling over a million this year if they do nothing. 

spurgeonryan said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

I think you're jumping the gun and getting rather ahead of yourself. No system is releasing this year and next year isnt even a guarantee either.

Yes, I highly doubt this year, but next year is very plausible, especially with a Zelda delay till 2016. Unless they change it upand make Zelda a Summer or Spring release.

Oh its definitely plausible I agree,since they did say they're talking about NX next year,whatever it is. But its far from a done deal though

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

You are right Spurge. The Wii U will not surpass the Wii, or maybe even 15-17 million when it is all said and done, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is a bad system. It does have an excellent cache of titles. Issue is that marketing for those titles (minus a few), wasn't as big; Wii U not being marketed much amplifying this issue.

Like you said, you are a huge supporter, so you should know how well those titles are (some rare even now... or inflated in value). Either way, I do agree with you that if the next Nintendo console goes south, gamers who have supported the system will not take it as lightly as the Wii U.

" It has never been about acknowledgement when you achieve something. When you are acknowledged, then and only then can you achieve something. Always have your friends first to achieve your goals later." - OnlyForDisplay

spurgeonryan said:
bigtakilla said:
If the games released weren't (for the most part) far and beyond peoples expectations I could agree. But everyone who has played Smash, Pikmin, Kart, 3D World, Xeno X (Tach only so far, lol), and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze agree that those games are EPIC. Add the exclusives (for the most part) like Bayo and Bayo 2, W101, ZombiU, and a few others people are excited for like Fatal Frame V, Shin Megami Tensei, Pokken (mark my words this will be in Wii U), Hyrule Warriors, ect. Then add other 1st party upcoming games like Star Fox, Legend Of Zelda, ect and I do not see how it could leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth.

Consoles that have left a bad taste in gamers mouths would be like the Virtual Boy, or the Atari Jaguar, or even (to a lesser degree) the Sega Saturn.

Sure it has done better, and Nintendo easily dusted the virtual boy off their shoulders, but how much can people take? I know that many here can live with paying a hefty price for a few big games and calling it their back up or second console, but I think you'll find many cannot justify this.

And I want eveyone to know I am a full supporter of the U! 100 games is in my library and I know it could have been soo awesome!

Sega Saturn had a handfull of great games as well, enough to match the U's? I don't know, but seeing how gaming is much bigger these days, the U's 10 million sales can't be far off the Saturns. 100 million Wii's sold, 150 plus DS systems and 160 million PS2's sold since the days of the Saturn. Ten million is actually really bad and when other companies have as many great games as the U has in just a years time there is a problem, a bad taste.

Well of you like the taste of 4 hour long games, completely broken games, remakes, and online only games I guess we just have different tastes then. Not to say these are the only games to release on other systems, there are a few PS4 and Xbone games I think are amazing but the majority of them seem to follow a pattern. These are what is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Different strokes though. 

Also, the Wii U has outsold the Sega Saturn lifetime right now by about 200,000 and the gap will only get wider. It's (Sega Saturn's) best selling game was Virtua Fighter 2 which sold 1.93 million which has also been vastly outsold.

Around the Network

I think Nintendo's next console will be 200-250 Day 1. It will sell 25-35ish million and that is enough for Nintendo to make solid profits with their business model. I can pretty much promise you Nintendo will never make another console that sells more than 45 million units again

It is rather baffling since the Wii U is a very nice console. And the games I play on it are really good.

However, somehow the image got burned before and now plenty of people dismiss Wii U without even giving it a chance.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

spemanig said:
No. The Wii has.

Yeah, because Gamecube was a hot seller....

bigtakilla said:
If the games released weren't (for the most part) far and beyond peoples expectations I could agree. But everyone who has played Smash, Pikmin, Kart, 3D World, Xeno X (Tach only so far, lol), and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze agree that those games are EPIC. Add the exclusives (for the most part) like Bayo and Bayo 2, W101, ZombiU, and a few others people are excited for like Fatal Frame V, Shin Megami Tensei, Pokken (mark my words this will be in Wii U), Hyrule Warriors, ect. Then add other 1st party upcoming games like Star Fox, Legend Of Zelda, ect and I do not see how it could leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth.

Consoles that have left a bad taste in gamers mouths would be like the Virtual Boy, or the Atari Jaguar, or even (to a lesser degree) the Sega Saturn.

Perfect. Exactly this!

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

AlfredoTurkey said:

Yeah, because Gamecube was a hot seller....

He didn't ask if the wii u was a hot seller.