By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has the Wii U irreparably damaged Nintendo's image?

It wasn't just the Wii U but every console in between starting from the N64 played a part in Nintendo's downfall damaging its' name.

Around the Network

What I think I ll remember Wii U for:

1) The gamepad I disliked playing with, that made the system more expensive that it should have been.
2) The first mario game (not a spinoff type game) that kinda dissapointed me (SM3DW).

I dont think it really hurt the brand much.... and im pretty sure they can easily turn it around.
They just need to not design the consol around the controller.

Id love to see a normal controller for the next consol, spending 80$ on the gamepad for a consol you plan to sell at 300$ is way to much for a controller. Think how much better the consol would have sold if it was ~60$ or so cheaper all gen (with a normal controller)? Nintendo shot themselfs in the foot, when they designed this consol.

*edit:

Am I wrong to say that alot of it, is hardware decisions?

Nintendo always seems to think they need to be different in order to succeed (since N64 at least).
While I agree with this attitude. i think it's their software that sets them apart not the strange hardware choices they seem to keep making.

The last 4 Nintendo consoles build up problems for Nintendo. Wii U is just the combination of them :(.

With the Fusion concept, most of those problems could be solved. I hope.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

spurgeonryan said:
At the rate it is going the Wii U will take another 2-3 months to break 10 million according to vgchartz! It will be lucky to be at 11 by the end of the year, even with Star Fox. Then as the new system comes next year hopefully and not this year it will struggle even more. The (most likely scenario) dual release Zelda game will not help much. Makes me sad and a little upset at the same time that Nintendo a billion dollar company could let it get this bad, this dire!

Considering the Vita, a legacy console that never really had success itself is outselling the Wii u (and may contiue to)  it is inexcusable that Nintendo could not do better-  But that is what happens twhen the mail it in re a console gneration-  Yes there are soe good games for the Wii u but they did not follow thru on their onw sales pitch, too many huge droughts and genearally gave up on it themselves-    I think it will make getting traction early on their next console very difficult

Around the Network

Since they need to make a "fusion" concept handheld along with the consol.
What are the chances they go with a advance processing node for developement of the chips?

They made the Wii U on 45nm... when I think 28nm could have been possible at the time.
Which limits what they can make and still keep it "very low noise friendly" so moms dont complain about noise of the consols.

Who wants to bet this time Nintendo, go with 28nm instead of doing something like 16nm FinFETs ?
I really want nintendo to do well on the next one, and it starts with them accepting they need to pack quite a punch into their handheld version (so it doesnt limit too much the consol version of games).

The best way to do that, is by useing the most advanced node of manufactureing they can pick.
Yet something tells me Nintendo will cheap out and go with a older node next gen again.

It would be super fun to design a consol... I wish I was in a position to make that a reality.
"this consol is made by fans, for the fans" :)

Yeah, I don't see what they can do to make the next console any better than the Wii U. Gamers and third parties will already approach it with a skeptical eye, meaning it will probably lack the support the Wii U did out of the game. People forget how important that first 3 months were. That was a third of all Wii U sold.

That was the Wii once its motion-control-casual-friendly novelty fell off, AKA 2009 - 2010.

I'm now filled with determination.

No, because despite the console's problems, the games are quality.

Besides, if the Virtual Boy didn't do irreparable damage to Nintendo, nothing will.

I don't think it has. Yeah, most people don't want it, but they can always redeem themselves with their next console. I hope the gamepad is better, so i'll actually want to buy it. The Wii U is the first Nintendo console since the NES, that i didn't want to own.