By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do people on this site think Splatoon is going to do so well?

Splatoon sales prediction

<500k 91 13.28%

500K-800k 123 17.96%

800k-1.2 million 131 19.12%

1.2million-1.6 million 100 14.60%

1.6million-2million 70 10.22%

2 million+ 170 24.82%

Total:685

its a new take on the stale and dried out shooter genre for a start. i mean seriously? jet packs? rocket jumping? thats all we get for 8th Gen innovation?

Around the Network
tivec said:
If Splatoon couldn't beat Witcher 3 in UK in first week, I don't see any chance for this game to go over 2m sales.

The UK is a not even close to the largest market and is Nintendo's weakest market by far.  Using that to say a game will do bad is like saying an Xbox exclussive will bomb because it does piss poor in Japan. 

Miyamotoo said:
midrange said:

You're right, we are not getting anywhere with this. Best just to wait for the numbers.

So I'll just give facts as to why I think splatoon will sell an average amount (800k-900k lifetime):

-fun game, but hindered by limited content

-due to limited content and childish atmosphere it gives off a indie/budget game vibe to those unaware of the game

-adds great atmosphere and gameplay to the shooter genre, but also removes the very basic standards of shooters (voice chat, customization, local 4 vs 4)

-the testfire demo only reconfirmed the purchase of those who were already going to purchase the game, not convince new gamers to buy it.

-Splatoon is competing against huge and proven franchises (mario kart, smash bros, mario 3d world, donkey kong country,...) in a limited space

-solid reviews for game, not so great for a game that was supposed to be the NEXT BIG thing

Because we already wrote about all that same things, I will just answer to bold part.

Not true, I didn't have plan to buy game before Test Demo, after I try game at Test Demo I decided to buy game day one digital, and here on forum I saw that I am not alone.

I won't try to argue with you there, but I will say this. Most people on this site represent the very passionate and a very small portion of wii u owners that were willing to give the inconveniently timed test demos a try(destiny beta was out for weeks, splatoon test fire should have been out for a full day so many wouldn't miss it). Moreover, the test demo was only available to the wii u, which should represent 20% of the gaming population at best currently. So if the test demo had an impact, it was most likely a small impact at that, not something that will have splatoon sales skyrocketing

Nogamez said:
ninjapirate42 said:

In all fairness Kirby and the Canvas curse on DS only sold 720K accoridng to vgchartz on the DS's userbase, so the 150K on Wii U isn't horrible honestly.

I do think Splatoon will do fairly well, the reviews have been pretty positive, people generally enjoyed the testfire demos a lot and Nintendo is pushing the marketing pretty hard. And at a few of the local EB Games here they actually had Splatoon posters covering the outside windows! Nintendo never gets that kind of advertising from there here.

Dk tf - 1million +

Hyrule warriors -1million +

Zombiu - 800k +

Windwaker hd- 1million +

Games outside Mario can sell suprisingly well on such a small user base.

Kirby was never expected to sell well at all

not many games outside Mario sell well on Wii U   You actually listed most of them

Re Kirby-   They prob didn t expect 1million+ for Wii U but 150k IS terrible and no question far below Nintendo s projections-  

I have had the wii u since launch and it is more of a Mario/platformer box for most-  outside of Mario and platformers most games have not sold well even though there are some high quality non Mario/platforming games available_ I m one of the exceptions that have bought alot of the better non Mario and 3rd party games (wii u is our only home console)

comparing sales on the Wii u to the DS or any other console is really "apples and oranges"

thatguymarco said:
tbone51 said:

Splatoon is probably going to outsell Bayo2 current lifetime in its first week. How are the same?

And the genre doesnt matter, again japan is proving that with over 135k sales FW with sellouts all over the place (not many games get over 100k FW in japan and this is a new ip on a terrible selling console

Eh, still don't buy that this game is going to do as well as you guys are saying. Let's leave it at that.

You dont have to believe it, japan sales alone are close to half of bayo2 lifetime. vgc has it overtracked. probably 300k-350k sold currently

Around the Network
tivec said:
If Splatoon couldn't beat Witcher 3 in UK in first week, I don't see any chance for this game to go over 2m sales.

Splatoon outsold witcher 3 FW in japan, how is that for an analysis?

FW=/=Lifetime, look at tomodachi life in Europe.

midrange said:
Miyamotoo said:
midrange said:

You're right, we are not getting anywhere with this. Best just to wait for the numbers.

So I'll just give facts as to why I think splatoon will sell an average amount (800k-900k lifetime):

-fun game, but hindered by limited content

-due to limited content and childish atmosphere it gives off a indie/budget game vibe to those unaware of the game

-adds great atmosphere and gameplay to the shooter genre, but also removes the very basic standards of shooters (voice chat, customization, local 4 vs 4)

-the testfire demo only reconfirmed the purchase of those who were already going to purchase the game, not convince new gamers to buy it.

-Splatoon is competing against huge and proven franchises (mario kart, smash bros, mario 3d world, donkey kong country,...) in a limited space

-solid reviews for game, not so great for a game that was supposed to be the NEXT BIG thing

Because we already wrote about all that same things, I will just answer to bold part.

Not true, I didn't have plan to buy game before Test Demo, after I try game at Test Demo I decided to buy game day one digital, and here on forum I saw that I am not alone.

I won't try to argue with you there, but I will say this. Most people on this site represent the very passionate and a very small portion of wii u owners that were willing to give the inconveniently timed test demos a try(destiny beta was out for weeks, splatoon test fire should have been out for a full day so many wouldn't miss it). Moreover, the test demo was only available to the wii u, which should represent 20% of the gaming population at best currently. So if the test demo had an impact, it was most likely a small impact at that, not something that will have splatoon sales skyrocketing

I saw my experience on other gaming sites too, point is that Test Demo persuaded many Wii U owner too buy game evan they didn't have any particular interest in game before Demo, so Demo had big impact on Wii U owners.

I think if you played game yourself you probably would change thinking about game itself and sales. You need to try really hard to find someone who played at least Demo and thinking negative about game or sales. Before I played Test Demo and before strong Nintendo marketing, I thouth this is will be around 1m LT game, and after that, I think this is easily 2m+ game and I am certain that this is next big Nintendo IP.

Dunban67 said:
Nogamez said:

Dk tf - 1million +

Hyrule warriors -1million +

Zombiu - 800k +

Windwaker hd- 1million +

Games outside Mario can sell suprisingly well on such a small user base.

Kirby was never expected to sell well at all

not many games outside Mario sell well on Wii U   You actually listed most of them

Re Kirby-   They prob didn t expect 1million+ for Wii U but 150k IS terrible and no question far below Nintendo s projections-  

I have had the wii u since launch and it is more of a Mario/platformer box for most-  outside of Mario and platformers most games have not sold well even though there are some high quality non Mario/platforming games available_ I m one of the exceptions that have bought alot of the better non Mario and 3rd party games (wii u is our only home console)

comparing sales on the Wii u to the DS or any other console is really "apples and oranges"

Only Nintendo Wii U game that didnt sell well for now is Kirby and W101 (that game bombed, but its developed by Platinum).

ive been watching the yankees kick the mariners ass this series and there are a lot of splatoon advertisements. i wish that nintendo would advertise in more stadiums besides safeco field.

Miyamotoo said:
Splatoon is fifth fastest selling Wii U game in UK, that's pretty good, also UK is one of the weakest markets for Nintendo.

it is by far the weakest market for nintendo, yet nintendo treats them like fucking royalty compared to americans. its complete bullshit.