By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can Nintendo/NX Save Japan Or Is It Too Late?

The Japanese market is really turning ugly if you look at recent Media Create sales, we recently hit the lowest tracked sales week in modern Japanese gaming history like a week ago, and numbers are similarily ugly this week. 

In short ... nothing is really doing great in Japan right now in the traditional gaming sphere. 

Can Nintendo rescue the market yet again? What does the NX have to do/be in order to change things? 

Or are companies like Konami correct and mobile is the future of Japan? Will even Nintendo themselves becoming increasingly reliant on mobile for profit now that they themselves are also conceeding support for mobile?

I'll say since I actually just recently returned from Japan, the "everyone is obsessed with mobile" thing is no joke. I basically spent 1-2 hours a day on the subway/metro every day there and it's all mobile domination right now. Yes you'll see the odd 3DS, and the even rarer Vita, but it's not looking good right now. 

Around the Network

Didn't u just make this thread a few weeks ago?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:

Did I? Link?

I do make threads about the Japanese market because I like Japanese games most so industry performance there is a concern of mine. I did make a thread about being in Japan, but that was just a general thread about my impressions of my trip. 

Soundwave said:
zorg1000 said:

Did I? Link?

I do make threads about the Japanese market because I like Japanese games most so industry performance there is a concern of mine. I did make a thread about being in Japan, but that was just a general thread about my impressions of my trip. 

It was very similar, I think it was titled "NX can't come soon enough in Japan" or something like that.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Home consoles in japan will continue to decline,maybe someday they'll have the average sales of XBOX 360 in japan lol

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network

If the NX is the Fusion system and its handheld part is affordable enough, it could help. Handheld gaming is designed to sessions no longer than 1 hour and half. Mobile is at its best with sessions shorter than 30 min due to poor battery life. If Nintendo combines its mobile presence with price models similar to those of Steam, it could help regain some ground, but in Japan mobile is there to stay.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Ka-pi96 said:
Won't change a thing. Handhelds already do comparatively better in Japan than anything else, so releasing another handheld there will just continue that.

The scary thing is handhelds are starting to slow in Japan too though. We know the situation with consoles is what it is. 

Nope. Nothing will save Japanese console gaming. Its why Nintendo is making the transition to mobile game development. Nintendo isn't going to abandon their machines, but they sure are not going to watch all those billions slip through their fingers.

Nope, Japan can't be saved (especially without games like Final Fantasy). PS4 will win this generation in Japan. 

Dr.Vita said:

Nope, Japan can't be saved (especially without games like Final Fantasy). PS4 will win this generation in Japan. 

won't matter if the region is a fraction of its former self. This isn't really a win/lose thing. Its that consoles in general are being phased out there.