By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A Microsoft turn around? The importance of games in gaming.

People always count out Halo, with every installment. Halo is the exclusive king, has been for a very long time, With a price break and Halo 5, Xbox will be selling very Nicely in NA and UK.

Around the Network
DJEVOLVE said:
People always count out Halo, with every installment. Halo is the exclusive king, has been for a very long time, With a price break and Halo 5, Xbox will be selling very Nicely in NA and UK.

Agreed, but I think this generation is basically set. XB1 will underperform the PS4 a little in the USA/UK, and a lot everywhere else. And the Wii U...poor Wii U.

AbbathTheGrim said:
true_fan said:

I guess to some Bloodbourne just erases the lackluster first party ps4 output so far this gen. I mean even the sony exec admits the games are sparse and the ones that have released haven't been the best received.

One thing is to say that Sony's output could be better according to Sony's standards and another that this directly makes Microsoft's better as default.

Right,people seem to suggest that the Xbox games are some how superior when they are barely selling and not even MCC has sold greatly and needed a bundle.If the Xbox games were so great then why have they not sold better on the console?Why did Ryse (also on PC not owned by MS),Sunset (not owned by MS),DR3 (another PC game not owned by MS) and Forza all flop?

The last 3 Forza games have sold less than the previous games.Halo and Gears are the only big sellers that MS has,which is typical.As I stated previously the only games that MS owns that they published at this point is Forza and Kinect Sports rivals.People can say that Sony's games are lackluster all they want,but Sony does at least own most of their exclusives released on the PS4 thus far and all of the games they published have went platinum.Can't say the same for MS.This similar argument was done during the last generation and the one before it.We all know the outcome of each of those generations and it is the opposite of this thread.

DJEVOLVE said:

No one ever counts out Halo as it is all MS has and Gears shares the same fanbase.That is exactly the problem.No variety or diversity.Correction,Halo is ther exclusive king only in North America,while Gran Tursimo sells more globally and has sold more overall since Halo debuted.Once again,global sales are allt hat matters,not NA and Uk.That's like saying Soccer does not matter,because it is not as big as the NFL in North America,even thpough globally it si easily bigger and I am a NFL fan.Stop trying to narrow things down to make MS look superior.

Coral said:
One last thing and it is hypocritical.People forget that before and during the launch all the way up until the death of Kinect (thanks to the PS4 crushing it) that games were not even the second reason why people were buying or going to buy an X1.

I remember clearly many people (a lot here) saying that Kinect,TV features,Windows 8,smart glass and other none gaming features made the Xbox more than a gaming console and made it a better value than the PS4,because the PS4 was just a "gaming" console while the Xbox was a complete entertainment system ala "all-in-one".

Now people want to talk only about games as if from day one the PS4 has not been selling primarily because of games,which is why the XboxOne is so far behind despite getting two price cuts -thank Sony for that.The last thing,everything MS has so called turned around was only because of sales and the fact that they copied Sony word for word.

It amazes me how people ignore these facts.MS literally mimicked all of what Sony has said and been doing since the PSX.The Xbox still lacks an identity as a brand and MS still only has the same games to look forward to.The last notable Xbox game was Halo 4 and the next is Halo 5.On the other side Sony had The Last of Us (best game of the generation) and afterwards Bloodborne,which is the best game currently of the generation exclusively.LOL! I'm done.

XBox lacks a identity is where you lost me , XBox is Master chief, Halo, Gears, XBOX LIVE(defined online gaming), Kinect may have failed but still gives you a opportunity to change up gaming habits. You can also say, Sony copied XBox just as much. So not sure what your getting at.

Yes Sony literally didn't have to say shit but, NO DRM and they won. Xbox really fugged them selfs with that one.  However NA and UK are still in the fight NA will be taken because of three releases, FORZA, HALO 5, TOMB RAIDER, most likely a HD remake of Gears.  I wouldn't underestimate that line up.

Netty said:
DJEVOLVE said:

Agreed, but I think this generation is basically set. XB1 will underperform the PS4 a little in the USA/UK, and a lot everywhere else. And the Wii U...poor Wii U.

Wii U took it in the pants. I own the system but yea it really has not won me over on games. I wrote them about a achievement system like 10 times. However there next idea has me intrigued..

I think Xbox will take back NA this holiday season, UK will be more of a fight. So essentially I agree with the OP.

Around the Network
DJEVOLVE said:

As far as I understand the new Halo is releasing this Holiday along with The Selling Out of Tomb Raider so I don't see any plausible way that the PS4 could sell more in NA than the Xbone with those heavy hitters.

Unless a lot of people are just waiting for Xmas to buy their PS4s that they have been craving throughout the previous months of the year and also a lot of people decide to buy PS4s for the upcoming games. But I would bet against that and say that the Xbone will have the edge in sells in NA.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

AbbathTheGrim said:
DJEVOLVE said:

As far as I understand the new Halo is releasing this Holiday along with The Selling Out of Tomb Raider so I don't see any plausible way that the PS4 could sell more in NA than the Xbone with those heavy hitters.

300$ price drop ?

Namiirei said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

300$ price drop ?

Could help as well but I don't know if it could be enough.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

One of the most interesting things I would highlight is that this generation has so far shown the importance of PR, not games. 90% of the games that we are playing today on Xbox One today were in development well before Phil Spencer even took charge. The problem with Microsoft is they did not talk about the games enough and were trying to capture the media headlines by talking about 'All in one entertainment'... aka ' TV, TV, TV'.

As soon as MS realised this wasn't what their audience wanted to hear, they changed their PR stance and instead highlighted the games that they were already creating. It wasn't that Microsoft were not creating games and/or didn't care about gaming, they did, they invested heavily. PR/marketing was misdirected however.

Same for a lot of the DRM stuff. It wasn't that this DRM was truly evil and anti-consumer, Steam have been using it for years and people love not using discs on PC anymore. It's just MS, coming from a PC background, assumed the console market (one where the concept of disc-less DRM was an alien concept) would adopt this method of 'ownership' without explaining the benefits properly. Instead, their PR promoted 'you can't do this, we are stopping this, you're limited to this'.

In conclusion, so far this generation has highlighted the importance of PR over games/technology (IMO).

XBL: NathObeaN | PSN: NathObeaN | Steam: NathObeaN

Sony needed a more powerful console this generation, they were desperate in that regard, with the lack of AAA games on PS4, they needed power, If the X1 was more powerful then the PS4 then Sony would have had no leg to stand on. However this isn't because MS didn't know how to build a console, this was because MS already knew what they wanted and had there focus on other parts of the console then just Hardware, and that's Software. The PS4 was originally going to be 4gigs of Ram compared to the WiiU's 2 gigs, Sony heard about MS using 8 gigs and changed there's to 8 gigs and made it GDDR5. Sony actually used the other consoles as there leaping stones.

However this gen is going to be interesting because both companies are going to be throwing punches all though this generation and in 2015 I see MS winning this round.