By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A Microsoft turn around? The importance of games in gaming.

Burek said:

What I find most impressive is Microsoft's ability to persuade their customers that only the holiday season counts and that they can get away with not releasing a single game in the other 9 months.

And that fans actually can claim a superior lineup when all that is being released are two sequels and a third-party moneyhat.

And then in turn those same fans are shocked and dismayed that the rest of the population can choose to buy a console that is more powerful, has less corporate baggage, and has a much larger library of more varied game genres that releases on a continuous year-round schedule.

So much this lol. October-December are the only months that matter. Let's just ignore the wasteland in the months before that, compared to the stellar PS4 lineup.

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Around the Network
starcraft said:

There is no denying the brilliant performance of the Playstation 4 saleswise. A stroke of marketing genius, largely playing off Microsoft's marketing failures, has resulted in a very strong showing for Sony's console worldwide.

Then you have the marginal performance enhancement (again, its more a case of 'what was Microsoft thinking' over 'go Sony') playing into the narrative of a stronger console. All of this combined together to see the PS4 come hard out of the stables.

But its difficult to avoid the fact that for both Sony and Microsoft, the first year was characterised more by a lack of gaming strength than any brilliant new innovations. But where this has been true for both, it has been most true for the PS4. Indeed, before Bloodbourne, it was hard to look at the PS4 and say "gee, I really need that console for game/games "X."

As we look ahead to the end of this year, it is becoming clear that Microsoft has a relatively strong line-up of announced games, compared to Sony. Indeed, putting sales to the side, its easy to wonder exactly where and how Sony have apportioned their gaming resources for the first few years of their console's life, and how many resources were put in place to begin with.

Of course, the words 'turn around' are a bit of a misnomer. Japan and much of Europe seem all but lost to Microsoft. But with what would seem to be a tangible advantage in playable and high profile exclusives on the immediate horizon, Microsoft may well have a shot at damaging the notion that Sony will have this generation all to itself.

I'd be keen to hear what others think. This generation has shown us, arguably for the first time, that you dont have to have the best games to be the lead console. Arguably, both the Xbox One and the WiiU have better games than the PS4, and yet they are being beaten (almost combined) in global sales.

Does this year represent an opportunity for Microsoft to shift perceptions?

Hi yahh all.

Every year is a opportunity, but the perception remains and will remain as sony wont let it change and they shall do all they can to maintain it. 

Arguably, meta proves PS4 has more better rated games.  You can argue metas worth but it shows PS4 as the winner games wise.  Doubtfull MS manges any real damage if any at all, given we know what is in the pipe from sony and potential of a PS4 price cut and the potential of PS Vr.

What this gen has shown us is how easily you can lose a gen and how one mistake can haunt you for the entirety of it.  

All of this has been in the roadmap.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say ps4 library has the highest meta just becayse it has one new title scoring higher. If you look at the other games the meta is quite lower so I don't think the argument fits tbh

Goodnightmoon said:
GameMasterPC said:
Goodnightmoon said:

I think  at the end of the year

Xbo exclusives 2015 >>> Ps4 exclusives 2015

I think they can deliver a surprisingly good E3, maybe.

Lets not count the chickens before they hatch. PS4 already has an exclusive whch many consider a masterpiece, and Sony isn't done yet with all its exclusives this year. Meanwhile XB1 has no exclusives this year so far.

People says the same about WiiU, don´t you realize that at the second half of the year is when Nintendo and Microsoft release all their bombs?

Microsoft has more important exclusives coming that Sony, that´s almost a fact. Now the E3 can changue things, but I really thing Sony E3 this year is gonna be lame.

If we look back at last years E3, sony anounced mostly games coming with in a year of that E3, aside from uncharted and rachet and clank wich got delayed even more. so we really dont know much aside from what they have told us and by this E3 they could do the same, just like lbp3 was anounced at e3 and released that holliday while the order was delayed.

While MS anounced MCC on e3 and it did released that very holliday, then quantum brake got delayed much more than what the order was delayed. so they both had equal anouncedments that released for that holliday. Then the diference of all thouse games at last e3 was that sony mostly showed and delivered games with in that year they promised, like bloodbourne, ffx/x2, the order, mlb, persona, disegea, there are a few of yet unreleased but promised to come soon like killstreak, until dawn and a few others, while MS dosent even have anthing else aside from halo 5 and tomb raider timed, the rest are coming so far away that have no time than at earliest 2016. They could even be coming also next hollidays and be another baren 10 months like this year seem to be.

SO to me at least, it sounds like sony promised and delivered last/this year, and has the bigest shot of doing the same this/next year. Hyping games that are coming over 2 years away seems to m exactly what the op does want sony critizied for but not MS.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
PwerlvlAmy said:
Burek said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
Burek said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

To be honest,at this point in time,Microsoft does have the better exclusives as a whole though

and your last statement in the last few lines applies to all the big 3. Everything stated in those lines is exactly what sony/microsoft/nintendo fans do as a whole,its not just exclusive to one fanbase

To be honest, we have to assign that to personal taste, as it is a fact that PS4 has so far the best single exclusive game, and that by a huge difference from XOne's best rated exclusive which is Forza Horizon 2.

Factor in the fact that PS4 exclusive games come out at significantly shorter intervals than XOne's, it is very hard for Microsoft to defend a position of exclusive superiority.

What you just stated in the first line was personal taste as well and not a fact. you cant write off someone elses view point and deem it as an opinion but then claim your own is fact.  not how it works  sir

I am sorry, but my statement of fact is a statement of fact based on critical reception (aka Metacritic score). Sure, arguably that is also just a collection of personal tastes, but it is still the only tangible, measurable tool of quality that we have available.

Your statement is opinion and person taste,nothing more. so agree to disagree time :)

Metacritic is mass popular opinion, not his. Its the only thing that comes close to not sounding bias like the rest that people say in this thread. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

GamechaserBE said:
jlmurph2 said:

We'll have to see at E3

That would be kind of amazing if they have games to announce for June/July/August =D.

Have MS ever anounced something at E3 that came so early? I really dont know. Not trying to sound insulting, but I highly doubt that is the case and I hyghly doubt they will anounce somthiing for outside the hollidays that was not a third party moneyhat.

OP could have simply said he preferred Xbox games and saves us the barricade of Subjectifacts.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

jlmurph2 said:
GamechaserBE said:

That would be kind of amazing if they have games to announce for June/July/August =D.

Most E3's there's something that's shown and they say "Releasing today/tomorrow". 

I'm expecting that this E3 too

But from MS? 

maximrace said:
I think it's a bit of a stretch to say ps4 library has the highest meta just becayse it has one new title scoring higher. If you look at the other games the meta is quite lower so I don't think the argument fits tbh

Thats just not true. But we cant come to a conclusion cuz this kind of thing can only be prooved by a list war. but then some will argue that somethings dont belong on either side and bla bla bla. So I see why its best to avoid it.

If we could all be civilized and pre agree what belongs to  a list, then find the metracritic for the items, it can be done. Or make multiple list, like one for AAA, indys, real exclives, console exclusives. Either way i belive the ps4 will win, even if not by highest score at least by the sheer number of games.