By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A Microsoft turn around? The importance of games in gaming.

jlmurph2 said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

Looking at my collections:

PS3:  Beyond, Demon Souls, Disgaea 3, 4, GoW3, Ascension, Heavy Rain, infamous, 2, Journey, Killzone 2, 3, MGS 4, NNK, PSAS, Puppeteer, R&C x 6, Sly Theives in Time, Tales of Graces, Xillia, 2, Last of us, Uncharted, 2, 3, Valkyria Chronicles, Resistance x3, GT5, WNC, 2=37

360: Blue Dragon, Crackdown, 2, Forza Horizon, Gears x 4, Halo x 5, Fable 2, Lost Odyssey, kameo, Tales of Vesperia, SC Conviction, Viva Pinyata=19

37 vs 19 seems like a big difference to me.  

Edit:  Forgot LBP 1, 2, twisted metal, Starhawk make that 41.

Edit: Forgot B&C N&B, Alan Wake make that 21

.Why are you using your own game collections to argue the 360 doesn't have great games?

Who said the 360 doesn't have great games?

Around the Network

Both the Wii U and X1 have had and are getting some great games. For me so far, the PS4 is the only console I have no interest in buying anytime soon since Uncharted isn't enough to make me buy the console.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

I'm not saying you're wrong in disagreeing. It's all very subjective, and depends on what genres you like and how you value quality vs quantity. I'd rather have 4 incredible games then 14 good. The only PS4/Xbox One game I truly hate not being able to right now is the Witcher 3. (And Dragon Age if we neglect last gen version because I do own it on 360). 

Really? For me I guess it depends....14 good games might last me a lot longer than 4 incredible games....I can understand if you said 4 incredible and 14 medicore, but 14 good games just seems better to me I guess.

Yes, really. Of course it helps when the games have replay value. I played Brawl pretty much every week until Smash 4 released (7 years later?). And will do the same with Smash 4 until the next one releases. 

(Also, I have many unplayed games from previous gens so I can afford to be picky, as I'll always have something else to play anyway should I somehow run out)

Spending warm summer days indoors   

Writing frightening verse

To a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, WiiU, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, Mega Drive, Game Gear, PS1, PS2, PSP, XBOX 360, Atari Lynx

Burek said:

What I find most impressive is Microsoft's ability to persuade their customers that only the holiday season counts and that they can get away with not releasing a single game in the other 9 months.

And that fans actually can claim a superior lineup when all that is being released are two sequels and a third-party moneyhat.

And then in turn those same fans are shocked and dismayed that the rest of the population can choose to buy a console that is more powerful, has less corporate baggage, and has a much larger library of more varied game genres that releases on a continuous year-round schedule.

You said part of what I was going to say. To add to your post,I find it funny that people are now critisizing Sony for lack of exclusives when the PS3 easily had more than the 360 and Sony still owns more franhcies/companies than MS and they have more variety than Nintendo.All of that are facts that can not be disdputed.It's funny how people only mention the fall instead of the whole year.

The PS4 has way more games this year than the XboxOne,with the japanese games like Dragon Quest Heroes coming stateside,Persona 5,Disgaea 5,Hotshots Golf (possibly) and a few niche japanese games that have already released and will release this summer.It's really laughable how they have amnesia.MS only has 3 games built for the X1.One of which is another Forza and the other a timed exclusive ...very laughable indeed.

The PS3 also had a great 2013 while the Wii and 360 were dead,so it is understandable that the PS4 would be slower than the WiiU,which released a year first (so why even compare them? and the WiiU only has Mario games,Smash Bros and really Bayonetta which flopped) and none of those WiiU games are appealing looking at the sales for the console.

The next thing is that the XboxOne has nothing impressive at all no matter what this site says.None of the X1s games have sold better than the PS4 exclusives,so obviously the majority is pleased with sony's offering and everyone I know who has a PS4 is pleased and only one of them owns aother console (my nephew has a WiiU but prefers his PS4).

Back to the point about the fall.Well MS has absolutely nothing until october while I have 3 PS4 exclusives that have already released this year and quaslity is just subjective,but Sony has already released more exlcusives than MS as a whole and this year already. The only true exclusive games on the Xbox is 2 Forza games,Sunset (which MS does not own and could go to PC/PS4 and the sequel whill be multiplat), and Kinect Sport Rivals.If we count download games like Killer Instinct and Resogun,than Sony has more there also.

People also seem to ignore the fact that Sony pwns all of their fanhcies,while MS does not.Which is why Ryse and DR3 went to the PC now.So those games are no longer exclusive and Titalfall (which was mediocre IMO) was ont he PC day one. So what are we really arguing here? Is it the quality of the games which is subjective,the number of actual exlcusives which Sony has more than MS,the variety of games which Sony has more than Nintendo and MS,or just first party games which Sony easily outstrips MS and most of Nintendo games are spin offs or 2D games that are not on the same level as either Sony or MS games?

For the topic of hype,no product int he history or sales have ever sold without it.No console has sold without hype.From the Atari to the NES and SNES,to the PSX and N64,to the PS2 then the 360 and Wii and now the PS4.So why try to discedit the PS4's success? Oh you people thought the Wii sold because of games? ROFL! No,it was the marketing and controller.The same way hype and Live sold the 360 while Kinect lept it going.The PS3 only had exclusives going for it and it sold,but still needed some hype from better promotion with a price cut.

Some of you people either have short term memory or just like to ignore the fatcs. When the 360 was easily weaker in exclusives to the PS3 all of you said you preferred third party games anyway and just like Live as well as other features on the 360. Then when the X1 was about to release none of the excitement was about games,but TV features,smart glass (whatever happened to that?) and Kinect 2.0.How contradictory of the people bashing Sony when their main focus has always been games while Nintendo uses gimmick/rehashes and MS mostly pushes Live and attaches themselves to third party games with DLC or timed exlcusives.

If exclusives were all that matters the WiiU would sell the most as stated,but notice hpw WiiU owners beg for third party games,which proves that they are not satisfied.Third party games sell better on Xbox than all of the exclusives combined,so obviously no one is buying Xbox for exclusives.The PS4 has sold the most hardware with all of their exclusive games going platinum regardless of reviews while MS games sell less and outside of the usual franhcises Nintendo games have flopped.That tells you that people are buying the PS4 for games period.

All in all the whole industry has been disappointing including Sony,but the PS4 is easily the best options. If oyu own all consoles then you should be satisfied regardless.I would like to own an XboxOne and WiiU someday,but truthfully neither console is worth the money at the current price because there is not a line up of games that are attention grabbing. Both only have about 2-3 games that I want personally,which none have released yet entriely and the masses prefer the PS4,so this conversation can end now.

The fact is Sony knew what people wanted with the PS4 and the features are also great,which for some reason are ignored in this thread just to spite the PS4.

User moderated for this post -RavenXtra

Coral said:
Burek said:

What I find most impressive is Microsoft's ability to persuade their customers that only the holiday season counts and that they can get away with not releasing a single game in the other 9 months.

And that fans actually can claim a superior lineup when all that is being released are two sequels and a third-party moneyhat.

And then in turn those same fans are shocked and dismayed that the rest of the population can choose to buy a console that is more powerful, has less corporate baggage, and has a much larger library of more varied game genres that releases on a continuous year-round schedule.

You said part of what I was going to say. To add to your post,I find it funny that people are now critisizing Sony for lack of exclusives when the PS3 easily had more than the 360 and Sony still owns more franhcies/companies than MS and they have more variety than Nintendo.All of that are facts that can not be disdputed.It's funny how people only mention the fall instead of the whole year.

The PS4 has way more games this year than the XboxOne,with the japanese games like Dragon Quest Heroes coming stateside,Persona 5,Disgaea 5,Hotshots Golf (possibly) and a few niche japanese games that have already released and will release this summer.It's really laughable how they have amnesia.MS only has 3 games built for the X1.One of which is another Forza and the other a timed exclusive ...very laughable indeed.

The PS3 also had a great 2013 while the Wii and 360 were dead,so it is understandable that the PS4 would be slower than the WiiU,which released a year first (so why even compare them? and the WiiU only has Mario games,Smash Bros and really Bayonetta which flopped) and none of those WiiU games are appealing looking at the sales for the console.

The next thing is that the XboxOne has nothing impressive at all no matter what this site says.None of the X1s games have sold better than the PS4 exclusives,so obviously the majority is pleased with sony's offering and everyone I know who has a PS4 is pleased and only one of them owns aother console (my nephew has a WiiU but prefers his PS4).

Back to the point about the fall.Well MS has absolutely nothing until october while I have 3 PS4 exclusives that have already released this year and quaslity is just subjective,but Sony has already released more exlcusives than MS as a whole and this year already. The only true exclusive games on the Xbox is 2 Forza games,Sunset (which MS does not own and could go to PC/PS4 and the sequel whill be multiplat), and Kinect Sport Rivals.If we count download games like Killer Instinct and Resogun,than Sony has more there also.

People also seem to ignore the fact that Sony pwns all of their fanhcies,while MS does not.Which is why Ryse and DR3 went to the PC now.So those games are no longer exclusive and Titalfall (which was mediocre IMO) was ont he PC day one. So what are we really arguing here? Is it the quality of the games which is subjective,the number of actual exlcusives which Sony has more than MS,the variety of games which Sony has more than Nintendo and MS,or just first party games which Sony easily outstrips MS and most of Nintendo games are spin offs or 2D games that are not on the same level as either Sony or MS games?

For the topic of hype,no product int he history or sales have ever sold without it.No console has sold without hype.From the Atari to the NES and SNES,to the PSX and N64,to the PS2 then the 360 and Wii and now the PS4.So why try to discedit the PS4's success? Oh you people thought the Wii sold because of games? ROFL! No,it was the marketing and controller.The same way hype and Live sold the 360 while Kinect lept it going.The PS3 only had exclusives going for it and it sold,but still needed some hype from better promotion with a price cut.

Some of you people either have short term memory or just like to ignore the fatcs. When the 360 was easily weaker in exclusives to the PS3 all of you said you preferred third party games anyway and just like Live as well as other features on the 360. Then when the X1 was about to release none of the excitement was about games,but TV features,smart glass (whatever happened to that?) and Kinect 2.0.How contradictory of the people bashing Sony when their main focus has always been games while Nintendo uses gimmick/rehashes and MS mostly pushes Live and attaches themselves to third party games with DLC or timed exlcusives.

If exclusives were all that matters the WiiU would sell the most as stated,but notice hpw WiiU owners beg for third party games,which proves that they are not satisfied.Third party games sell better on Xbox than all of the exclusives combined,so obviously no one is buying Xbox for exclusives.The PS4 has sold the most hardware with all of their exclusive games going platinum regardless of reviews while MS games sell less and outside of the usual franhcises Nintendo games have flopped.That tells you that people are buying the PS4 for games period.

All in all the whole industry has been disappointing including Sony,but the PS4 is easily the best options. If oyu own all consoles then you should be satisfied regardless.I would like to own an XboxOne and WiiU someday,but truthfully neither console is worth the money at the current price because there is not a line up of games that are attention grabbing. Both only have about 2-3 games that I want personally,which none have released yet entriely and the masses prefer the PS4,so this conversation can end now.

The fact is Sony knew what people wanted with the PS4 and the features are also great,which for some reason are ignored in this thread just to spite the PS4.

I can't speak for everyone, but I certainly am not ignoring features to spite the PS4. I play more multiplats on my PS4 than my Xbox One - mostly due to more friends having the PS4.

But ultimately, I maintain an awareness that the Xbox One has more useful features than the PS4 (though, I got the Kinect version early on, so the gap is smaller for some).

Of course, most people will only get one of the two consoles - I think what keeps coming out in this thread, even amongst those who reckon the PS4 has better games by some metric or another, is that the gap in quality certainly doesn't come close to justifying the gap in sales.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

One last thing and it is hypocritical.People forget that before and during the launch all the way up until the death of Kinect (thanks to the PS4 crushing it) that games were not even the second reason why people were buying or going to buy an X1.

I remember clearly many people (a lot here) saying that Kinect,TV features,Windows 8,smart glass and other none gaming features made the Xbox more than a gaming console and made it a better value than the PS4,because the PS4 was just a "gaming" console while the Xbox was a complete entertainment system ala "all-in-one".

Now people want to talk only about games as if from day one the PS4 has not been selling primarily because of games,which is why the XboxOne is so far behind despite getting two price cuts -thank Sony for that.The last thing,everything MS has so called turned around was only because of sales and the fact that they copied Sony word for word.

It amazes me how people ignore these facts.MS literally mimicked all of what Sony has said and been doing since the PSX.The Xbox still lacks an identity as a brand and MS still only has the same games to look forward to.The last notable Xbox game was Halo 4 and the next is Halo 5.On the other side Sony had The Last of Us (best game of the generation) and afterwards Bloodborne,which is the best game currently of the generation exclusively.LOL! I'm done.

true_fan said:

I guess to some Bloodbourne just erases the lackluster first party ps4 output so far this gen. I mean even the sony exec admits the games are sparse and the ones that have released haven't been the best received.

One thing is to say that Sony's output could be better according to Sony's standards and another that this directly makes Microsoft's better as default.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Coral said:
One last thing and it is hypocritical.People forget that before and during the launch all the way up until the death of Kinect (thanks to the PS4 crushing it) that games were not even the second reason why people were buying or going to buy an X1.

I remember clearly many people (a lot here) saying that Kinect,TV features,Windows 8,smart glass and other none gaming features made the Xbox more than a gaming console and made it a better value than the PS4,because the PS4 was just a "gaming" console while the Xbox was a complete entertainment system ala "all-in-one".

Now people want to talk only about games as if from day one the PS4 has not been selling primarily because of games,which is why the XboxOne is so far behind despite getting two price cuts -thank Sony for that.The last thing,everything MS has so called turned around was only because of sales and the fact that they copied Sony word for word.

It amazes me how people ignore these facts.MS literally mimicked all of what Sony has said and been doing since the PSX.The Xbox still lacks an identity as a brand and MS still only has the same games to look forward to.The last notable Xbox game was Halo 4 and the next is Halo 5.On the other side Sony had The Last of Us (best game of the generation) and afterwards Bloodborne,which is the best game currently of the generation exclusively.LOL! I'm done.

The reason the PS4 is selling is because it's more powerful than the Xbox making it have the superior version of almost all multiplayer games.  If the situation was reversed you'd see a huge difference in perception and sales of the PS4.    That coupled with the other mistakes Microsoft made coming into this generation practically gave the race away to Sony.

I'm sure some people will say it's not because the PS4 is more powerful and then produce a list of indie games, Japanese niche games, and mediocre to average exclusives and state that's the reason it's been selling at a record pace but lets get real.  If those games sold a lot of hardware the Vita would have been a massive success.

As for Bloodborne, the PS4 was selling well before that game ever came out and it's doubtful that Sony's first part offerings is the reason tons of hardware is being sold.  if it was the case they would actually be far more concerned about having major AAA games this holiday to combat Halo 5, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Forza 6.

Also you've mentioned copying which they're both actually guilty of.  Look at the PS4 and compare it to the PS1/PS2/P3 and then compare it to Xbox/Xbox360.  It's very obvious that Sony went with the Xbox philosophy of being able to easily port games between console and to develop on.  They're also now charging for online which to be honest sucks but do you really think they'd be doing that if Microsoft never charged for Xbox Live?

Games are the most important thing and the only way the Xbox One is going to go from distant second to close second this generation is to basically copy what Sony did with the PS3 which was to invest heavily into first party studios or be prepared to give out a lot of money hats.  if they don't do that they'll likely just play it safe and try to get as much profit as possible which will be very difficult if they allow the gap to increase to the point where they're no longer important at all.

I think that this gen is only reinforcing sony's dominance as console maker and the main platform to play games on. Sony only needs to deliver a library of games to the PS4 that's similar to the previous playstation consoles' libraries.  It's not a secret that historically, playstation consoles start off slow and take some time to start building up a library of games.  It's not a matter of convincing nintendo fans or xbox fans. It only needs to satsify it's large fanbase and their expectations. It's well on it's way to doing that. 

The PS4's lead isn't hard to understand at all:
-Great pre-release coverage (for good reason)
-Best console hardware
-Usually the best versions of cross platform games
-A handful of great exclusives
-Japanese support
-A history of well supported and long lasting console platforms