By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Do you support Polyamory? Polygamy?

Do you support Polyamory? Polygamy?

I support both. 78 48.75%

I support neither. 62 38.75%

Polyamory only. 20 12.50%

Total:160

I support neither but I'm less offended by polyamory more then likely their is less drama for the most part in that arrangement since probably not all the parties involved know each other.

Around the Network

Do your left and right hand count as polyamory?

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

AbbathTheGrim said:

Do your left and right hand count as polyamory?

If you consider masturbation a romantic relationship with yourself, then yes.

Personally, I'm all for polyamory and wish that I knew any women who were as well.

Alas, it's not so ...

Zappykins said:

Usually in nature, the more helpless the offspring, the more monogmous the animal.  Humans by nature I think are supposed to be together for about 7 years to raise a kid (or longer if they have more kids or choose etc.)  Although some people aren't like that.  Some people just can't be monogomous and other the oppisite.  Then there are a few asexual.

I guess that could be true, but even in humans there is variety. I read a hypothesis that most peoples who lived in the tropic were polyamorous in their relationships because they focused more on having as many successful offspring as possible rather than nurturing the few they had, whilst people in more temperature latitudes had to be more monogamous in order to give select few children attention. Obviously the later isn't an issue in the modern context, with our relative affluency. Although, I think six adults raising six children (lets say 1 child: 1 adult) would be able to raise said six children more than two adults rasining two, just because they would have more diverse occupations and financial stability by numbers. 

Polygamy is too complicated to work flawlessly, polyamory looks simpler to me.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

I support neither !

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

To me, it all seems a bit seedy. My perception is that in most cases, you're going to have one manipulative individual exploiting two or more other individuals.

Then again, that perception probably comes from the fact that most modern well-known examples of polygamy come from those cults you see on Channel 4 documentaries, where you have one manipulative individual exploiting two or more other individuals.

---

I think I could handle an "open" relationship, providing there were some ground rules. Like, no repeated encounters with the same individual, safe sex only, not in our home, make sure it's not with anybody we both know, that kind of thing. It's not necessarily what I'd want, but I would do it if my girlfriend / wife asked for it. At the end of the day, just because we're not satisfying each other's lust anymore isn't necessary grounds for the end of a relationship (particularly if we had kids or something), so as long as we were honest and respecting our partner's dignity, why not?

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Polygamy is too complicated to work flawlessly

State-recognized marriage in general is too complicated to work flawlessly. Ideally all people would be treated equally, and married persons wouldn't be given any more special privileges (such as tax breaks) than anybody else. But, alas, that is not how it is. 

Icy-Zone said:

With polygamy, and a fairly even split of male-female ratio worldwide, if every relationship involved 2 women per man. 1.5 billion men would not have a spouse and would lose the ability to have children of their own. Due you understand the implications this would have on society, or is everyone here simply looking inside the box while saying "as long as it doesn't harm anyone"? How about if as many men as possible had 4 wives... You see where this is going?

It's also been documented that boys born into polygamous cultures are often cast away by powerful elderly men as to limit competition. These boys often become delinquents, join gangs, commit crimes, etc.

Just saying, if I had no woman due to other men hogging more than 1, I'd find the man with the most wives and off him. You'd force a lot of hands with this setup. Terrible idea.

Your examples only work in your favor if the entire world switches to polygamy.  Are you also against people opting to be single?  Or perhaps being in a non-marriage monogamous relationship for their entire life?  Many people live different "non-traditional" lives with different "non-traditional" relationships these days.

SamuelRSmith said:

To me, it all seems a bit seedy. My perception is that in most cases, you're going to have one manipulative individual exploiting two or more other individuals.

Then again, that perception probably comes from the fact that most modern well-known examples of polygamy come from those cults you see on Channel 4 documentaries, where you have one manipulative individual exploiting two or more other individuals.

---

I think I could handle an "open" relationship, providing there were some ground rules. Like, no repeated encounters with the same individual, safe sex only, not in our home, make sure it's not with anybody we both know, that kind of thing. It's not necessarily what I'd want, but I would do it if my girlfriend / wife asked for it. At the end of the day, just because we're not satisfying each other's lust anymore isn't necessary grounds for the end of a relationship (particularly if we had kids or something), so as long as we were honest and respecting our partner's dignity, why not?

I completely agree, but in my experience, men can see this difference betweeen 'love and lust' moreso than women can. To most women, they are the same thing.

Not trying to speak for everyone of course ... just my experience.