By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Fans Vs. Third-Party Developers & Entitlement

RolStoppable said:
outlawauron said:

Third parties are picked apart by Nintendo fans, while Nintendo gets a free pass by the same crowd. That's pretty much it.

Specifically uses the verbage, "not living up to their promises".

Were any concrete examples mentioned?

I'm not sure he understood the whole story himself from the first 5-10 minutes I watched.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network
TheVoraciousFox said:
JRPGfan said:

The thing is... as a consumer are you happy that there are so few 3rd party games on the Wii U?

I am completely fine with the wii u not having third party support since the exclusives have been so good.

Ditto

We reap what we sow

Captain_Yuri said:

I think the issue with it the third party games is that other consoles are getting the "full" version with all the features where as the wiiU owners are getting the gimped version (not graphically but gameplay experience wise such as dlc and etc) so since that is the case, I think the wiiU owners have every right to whine and bash them.

Cause the thing is, if say Call of Duty had no DLC in all the other consoles and then came to the wiiU with no DLC, the I doubt anyone would whine or bash but when you have games on other consoles that have dlc/features that aren't on the wiiU but you are still expecting people to pay top dollar for it, then u are just riding the nonsense train. And the issue is that in terms of third party + wiiU, it is exactly like that hence why Nintendo fans don't support many third party games and it is fully justifiable as to why imo. There are of course exceptions to the rule but that is generally what has happened for most third party games

But with games like splatoon, everyone is getting the same version so when a game like splatoon doesn't have VC, while it sucks for anyone that wants VC, at the very least, everyone is getting a game that has the same experience hence why I think there is a lot less whining about it. Not to say that not having VC and stuff is a good thing but again, the main difference is that third party games = other consoles have all the content + far better optomized and etc  vs gimped + optomiozation issues on the wiiU + missing content like DLC where as Nintendo games = everyone on the wiiU getting the samething (obviously)

There is no reason for anyone to support a gimped version of anything. Why should wiiU owners pay a premium for less? There is no reason to when there are other games that are from Nintendo that offer the same version for everyone (obviously cause those games are exclusive)

Plenty of Nintendo fans support third party games. We just choose to buy them for our Playstation or XBox. 

There's no special cookie that we get for buying a third party game on a Nintendo console, and the online communities for PS/XBox titles on many of these games are just much larger than the ones Nintendo brings to the table to boot that even if the port was a good one, it's just kinda like "what's the point?". 

The fact that Nintendo has made technically inferior consoles for the past decade and has pretty much ruled out feature parity in most multiplats anyway, and the Wii U came 5-6 years after the PS3/360, you can't realistically expect third parties to prioritize a system with a user base of 0 that primarily fixates on Mario games versus the PS/XBox userbases of 80 million each that are proven to buy third party games in large numbers. 

JRPGfan said:
160rmf said:

Tell me how many 3rd party games helped NIntendo HW sales?

I have no idea how to Quantify something like that.... many? not many? no idea honestly.

My gut feeling is that lack of 3rd party support does hurt sales.

I certainly hope that's the case. If neither 3rd party support or Nintendo's own games can lead to great home console sales, they're going to be left betting on 'new' ideas. That, as we've seen, can be risky.

160rmf said:
TheVoraciousFox said:

I am completely fine with the wii u not having third party support since the exclusives have been so good.

Ditto

This is a perfectly valid stance. Hell, Wii U is my most used home console this gen and I love the games on it. However, it's not a well rounded lineup and will never attract a mass market to sustain it long term.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network

Every time someone tries to play the Nintendo fans give a free pass card I question if they're actually living in reality, Nintendo has the most critical fanbase out there. Want examples look at the Zelda cycle, look at the divide between Smash fans, look at the rift between Metroid fans and how OM has a mixed reaction, look at the constant calls for a 3D Mario game that's more like Galaxy, look at how Paper Mario on 3DS is hated or the angry reactions to DKTF being revealed.

Fact is Nintendo fans are even more critical then other fans it's just that the games for most part are still great to play and the's no free pass so when you get third parties who try to half ass things or aren't as consistent you're only going to see them get ripped to shreds by the fanbase. The reason third parties have issues on the platforms is because most of them only follow the mainstream while anyone who has a Nintendo platform is going to have a specific taste.

Soundwave said:
Captain_Yuri said:

I think the issue with it the third party games is that other consoles are getting the "full" version with all the features where as the wiiU owners are getting the gimped version (not graphically but gameplay experience wise such as dlc and etc) so since that is the case, I think the wiiU owners have every right to whine and bash them.

Cause the thing is, if say Call of Duty had no DLC in all the other consoles and then came to the wiiU with no DLC, the I doubt anyone would whine or bash but when you have games on other consoles that have dlc/features that aren't on the wiiU but you are still expecting people to pay top dollar for it, then u are just riding the nonsense train. And the issue is that in terms of third party + wiiU, it is exactly like that hence why Nintendo fans don't support many third party games and it is fully justifiable as to why imo. There are of course exceptions to the rule but that is generally what has happened for most third party games

But with games like splatoon, everyone is getting the same version so when a game like splatoon doesn't have VC, while it sucks for anyone that wants VC, at the very least, everyone is getting a game that has the same experience hence why I think there is a lot less whining about it. Not to say that not having VC and stuff is a good thing but again, the main difference is that third party games = other consoles have all the content + far better optomized and etc  vs gimped + optomiozation issues on the wiiU + missing content like DLC where as Nintendo games = everyone on the wiiU getting the samething (obviously)

There is no reason for anyone to support a gimped version of anything. Why should wiiU owners pay a premium for less? There is no reason to when there are other games that are from Nintendo that offer the same version for everyone (obviously cause those games are exclusive)

Plenty of Nintendo fans support third party games. We just choose to buy them for our Playstation or XBox. 

There's no special cookie that we get for buying a third party game on a Nintendo console, and the online communities for PS/XBox titles on many of these games are just much larger than the ones Nintendo brings to the table to boot that even if the port was a good one, it's just kinda like "what's the point?". 

The fact that Nintendo has made technically inferior consoles for the past decade and has pretty much ruled out feature parity in most multiplats anyway, and the Wii U came 5-6 years after the PS3/360, you can't realistically expect third parties to prioritize a system with a user base of 0 that primarily fixates on Mario games versus the PS/XBox userbases of 80 million each that are proven to buy third party games in large numbers. 

Yes, I understand that but that doesn't mean that it is alright for them to sell gimped versions of games on Nintendo platform + charge a premium and expect it to sell well... If they want a game to even have a chance of selling on the wiiU, they have to give the owners the full game with all the DLC cause if they don't, then they broke any legs that the game had from the start. Now I am not saying that the game will sell on the wiiU the same amount as any other console but when you are releasing a game that is inferior in every way other than graphics that directly effects the enjoyment of the overall game such as missing content, then they are riding the nonsense train.

I get why they don't want to prioritize the wiiU version but that doesn't mean that it is okay to sell a gimped version. If they don't want to give the full version, then don't bother releasing it at all cause no one in their right mind would actually pay for a gimped version when they can easily get a fully featured version on 5 other platforms. I expect them to either release a game that is fully featured or don't release one at all and not in the gray area of half assing it while charging a full price. And Nintendo fans have every right to bitch about it

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

deskpro2k3 said:
Nintendo fans keep askin for third party support, and when they get it, they don't go and buy them.

What 3rd party games have been brought to the Wii U with proper support?

TheVoraciousFox said:
JRPGfan said:
@160rmf

Arnt nintendo too? No 3rd party and consol sales are down by alot.
Ofc that just means more sales of nintendo developed games = more profits.

The thing is... as a consumer are you happy that there are so few 3rd party games on the Wii U?

well b-tier 3rd party games would be nice. indies and nintendo alone lacks something sometimes. i would like another rayman.

or another final fantasy CC.

Pavolink said:
I think third parties will be succesful on NX. Most Nintendo fans are happy now with inferior sequels, patchs, updates every day, DLC, content cut and all that.

Owwww you didn't, ohhhhh you did.

So very clever in so many ways.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."