By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Until Dawn Launches on PS4 August 25th

d21lewis said:
What's the early buzz on this game? Positive?

Pretty non existent I'd say. Though there isn't much negativity because the game is very open about what it is and isn't trying to be anything else.

Around the Network

So I mentioned this briefly before, but I am concerned with Until Dawn's commercial chances.
Since the game is confirmed to release on August 25th, it also happens to be the same date as Madden NFL 16. Now these audiences are very different and [in theory] shouldn't detract from each others' sales. However, advertising space will be limited based on both releasing on the same day.

Let's not forget that many consumers may be waiting for MGSV or Mad Max, which release a week later. Consumers holding out for either of those games will be less inclined to pay $60 or more for a game one week prior to a more anticipated one, regardless of exclusivity. This also hurts Until Dawn's advertising, since both of those games will probably be heavily advertising by the time Until Dawn is trying to make a mark.
(I'm still fuming over Nintendo's decision to release the Wonderful 101 a week prior to Grand Theft Auto V first release. Honestly, what did they expect? All of their marketing got swallowed up and only Nintendo fans really payed any attention to the game.)

Is anyone else troubled by the release date?

I don't think Until Dawn is a true AAA in the sense that Sony expects or demands a significant profit from it.
To me it seems as a interesting project that will add to the PS4's variety and will attempt to attract people who are not gamers in the first place. Horror slasher movies are never big budget affairs, and I doubt that this game is either.
As I said earlier in the topic, I think that half a million copies breaks this game even (so about a $15 million budget), and that the success of the game will not be measured in sales, but in critical and customer reception/feedback.

I don´t think this game will sell gangbusters, but it will most likely still be profitable (Dunno maybe 500-700k to be profitable?). But Sony will most likely profit from this game in the long run as it really diversifies the library and is kind of predestined for a second "release" during halloween as a bundle-in game.

As for me: I´ll probably buy the game! Day one depends on wether or not I´m too invested in another game at the time of release^^

Yup...RO friggin rocked  
Tyritorious said:
The decision to release this game prior to October is baffling to me. Horror is meant for that month, so why not capitalize on that? Besides, Aug 25th is just one week from the release of Metal Gear Solid V and the Mad Max video game.

Until Dawn is going to get floored.

Perfect time to release then... well for me anyway. I can play it before MGSV releases and carries me through to 2016

Around the Network

sweet, ill be getting it!

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Here's the box art, which I think is pretty good:

The PS5 Exists. 

As with most games like this, I don't care how well it does commercially. It's a story driven "popcorn game" and for whatever reason, I eat them up. If the reviews are decent, this will be a day one buy. Toss in some boobies and I'll pre-order!

After both Uncharted 4 and Ratchet & Clank got delayed to early 2016, Until Dawn remains one of my most anticipated PS4 exclusives for this year.

I really like cineamtic games with focus on visuals and story. I loved Heavy Rain back at the day. And i see alot of similarities between Until Dawn and Quantic Dream's masterpiece. Its the said cinematic fashion, QTE-packed gameplay-sequences, several characters to play, one central topic, consequences after certain actions up to permadeath for certain protagonists with no "game over" screen that makes both titles comparable.

That's why i can imagine some good reviews. Heavy Rain managed to get a 87 metascore, so Until Dawn can possibly land in the 80s as well. Even though, Supermassive Games's score distribution on Metacritic says otherwise until now... It all comes down with pacing, atmosphere and replayability, though. Holding high hopes for this. =)

Glad we finally getting a release date and actually before E3. I'll be waiting for offical news regarding the content each version comes with, to decide which will be mine. Oh, and awesome box art!

Looks like a worse version of Heavy Rain.