By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Congrats Ireland! First country to recognize Same Sex Marriage by Pop Vote!

Mr.Playstation said:
Great for Ireland, wasn't such a surprising result though. Any Irish celebrity was in favour and Pro-equality.

Every youtube vid watched in Ireland for the past month has come with a 3min long add about how you should vote no for the good of the gays.... must have been a massive amount of money poured into that advertising campaign if anything it was so obnoxious the way it was put forwards that I think it would have turned No voters into a yes just out of annoyance at the advert.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
Lafiel said:
ganoncrotch said:

The end of the vid makes me a tiny bit sad, one county of the 26 in red, a really kinda backwater area slightly called Roscommon, shows up fairly badly for them if anyone was considering holidaying there to know they are a bit backwards in their views still, could be costly to business there.

it's funny that Roscommon sort of looks like a cross aswell ;) - well, even there it was very close and almost in favor of same sex marriage, so I think they'll come around to it once they notice that the sky won't be falling down on them

Yeah I had a quick check this morning when I woke up, the Sun was in the sky in place of the promised rain of locusts and my cat wasn't off looking for a dog to marry like some had suggested it would be.

On a serious note come September I'll be married for 5 years and the Vows me and my Wife took those years ago were in no way weakened or changed when we voted yes to allow others to share in the same commitment to love each other that we did years ago. As my status says, never been prouder of Ireland in all my years alive here.

(on a less serious note I think roscommon is in the shape of a spooky ghost.)

Hours in photoshop!

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

ganoncrotch said:
Mr.Playstation said:
Great for Ireland, wasn't such a surprising result though. Any Irish celebrity was in favour and Pro-equality.

Every youtube vid watched in Ireland for the past month has come with a 3min long add about how you should vote no for the good of the gays.... must have been a massive amount of money poured into that advertising campaign if anything it was so obnoxious the way it was put forwards that I think it would have turned No voters into a yes just out of annoyance at the advert.

Probably true LOL. I definitely would have done the same and changed my vote into a Yes.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Frank_kc said:
Sad day indeed and against family and human nature.

So who gets to define what a family is in this day an age? You?

I would argue that witholding the right to marry from gay couples is in itself 'against family'.

With regards to Roscommon voting No. You have to remember that Roscommon was one of the worst counties affected by the recession. Its youth population would have been decimated by emigration and also a lot of people voting No in opposition to the government regardless of what the election stood for as a form of protest.

Around the Network

There is hope.

I'm now filled with determination.

How hard is it to understand that you can hate whatever group of people as much as you want, just don't ask for them to have fewer legal rights than you? It shouldn't even be worth arguing.

garywood said:
How hard is it to understand that you can hate whatever group of people as much as you want, just don't ask for them to have fewer legal rights than you? It shouldn't even be worth arguing.

Some people think the law should back up hatred of a minority.

hsrob said:
Frank_kc said:
Sad day indeed and against family and human nature.

So who gets to define what a family is in this day an age? You?

I would argue that witholding the right to marry from gay couples is in itself 'against family'.

Not trying to disrespect you, but this is none sense. How could gay couples form a family when they can’t have children? Being gay is against human nature and this is reality. Men and women together is the natural instinct of human beings, while Gay marriage is an atrocious and obscene act which belongs to unsound nature. Marriage does not mean sexual enjoyment only but also the establishment of a family on hygienic and safe foundations.

Human rights should not be extended to include human destruction and diverting from the human nature and the principles on which this universe was created.

Mod edit:

User was moderated for this post.

--Veknoid_Outcast

Please try to keep this conversation as civil as possible. I know there are strong feelings on both sides of this issue, but please communicate your beliefs in a respectful way, and please show tolerance for opposing beliefs.