By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Witcher 3 Is Not Fun To Play (But The Quests Are Godly)

irstupid said:
Aerys said:
Thé gameplay is not boring, its really bad when it comes to how thé character/horse move, it lacks of precision, its so lame, but in combat, thé gameplay is quite good

Im surprised no reviewers talked about that big flaw... Fanboys or...?

I imagine the fact it seems many put like 100 hours into this game and even if the game controlled like pure garbage you woudl get accustomed to it in that time.

But its just some momentum thing the devolpers gave Geralt.  Only take a couple hours before your used to it.  Only time it really bugs me is sometimes grabbing loot is tricky.  But you can't loot till fighting is over so its not like it ever gets me ragging. 

Being accustomed to it doesnt make it less bad, i loved Deadly Prémonition so i closed m'y eyes on thé bad gameplay but it was bad.

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
irstupid said:

Pretty much zero luring in this game, enemies work in groups as they should.  Always kind of annoying how you can have a group of enemies and then lure one away and be fighting it with all the yelling and growling ect 10 feet away and all their buddies ignore you.

As someone else said, sounds like you forgot some controls, not the games fault.

Rolling away is the wrong thing to do in this game.  Seeing as that was how you basically fought in Witcher 2, I can see many stick to it, but the small dodges are 1000x better.  When you roll away you roll so damn far you can't counter attack back, so it basically is just a way of escaping from being surround or squaring up to the enemy again.  Hardly practical in actual fighting.

Must not have the PC version of the game.  Loading for me takes like a couple seconds at best.  Basically reloading after a death is about same time it takes to fast travel load, and htat is also just a couple seconds at most.  

Also bombs, potions, oils, ect cost zero money.  YOu just find the ingredients in  the wild and craft them yourself for free.  Then to refill them ALL, you just meditate and if you have some hard alcohol in your inventory they all get refilled, bombs, potions, oils, ect.  Way better than last game wher eyou had to have the ingredients to remake them again.

Don't want to get into wether you suck or not at the game, the above is just some hints/tricks to help you out and enjoy the game better.

As for the chase scene and other bugs you may have encountered, hopefully they are small for you.  Had zero bugs so far for me, zero crashes, no lag, fast loads, ect.  And my pc specs are not the "recommended" they are below that.  So I'm not runnign some super computer or anything.  Experienced witcher?  No shit you start at lvl 1.  All games do this.  Do you bitch when in God of War 3 or whatever that your level one when you have done all you did in earlier games?  Though at least you can do everything in Witcher from lvl 1 basically.  You have all your signs available from start, you can make potions if you hav eingredients and know recipe.  You have both weapons and are fully armored up.  Then at this point you decide which skills you want to become more proficient in. And you can't do them all.  You can't max out every skill if you didn't know.  

The 'problem' with these kind of rpgs is that they start out unforgiving and kinda annoying with quick deaths, and then become very easy later on. You can say that's part of getting more powerful, yet having all the risk up front is not a nice learning curve and turns these games into a big todo list with little sense of meaningful progress after the initial bump.

I figured you can't get all skills, yet I do hope you can reset them at some point as I have no idea yet what I'll need or want in 40 hours.

Meanwhile I'll keep dreaming of an RPG where you care for, maintain, and enhance you armor and weapons instead of picking up tons of fodder to replace anything as soon as something with a green stat comes along. One where tracks, rumors, treasure maps, smoke from camp fires, lights at night, strange sounds, something luring you, is enough to draw your attention instead of adding ! and ? to a map. One where you have no map at all, but can ask people where something is and they'll direct you to follow the river until you get to the broken bridge, or look for the windmill and head west. One that doesn't say, you should do errands and level up to suggested level 3 before continuing.

Well you could start at lower difficulty and then raise as you improve.  You can change it.

I read you can buy some potion of respec from like two diffrent vendors for like 1000 crowns that lets you respec.  So you can, its not cheap though.

I do agree that the question marks are a little exessive.  Be nice if they didn't have them at all.  Let me find the place of power on my own. I can see a monster nest easy enough when I encounter a group of monsters.  There have been side quests that have me go to half the quetsion marks while doing it, no need to point it out.  I loved it when I would raid some camp at a question mark, fidn a note that woudl lead me to another question mark, that lead me to the place of power that lead me to the church and the wraith all completing the viper weapon set.  There was no need for the question marks, the game's lore and books set me from one to the next.  I suppose I'll just download a mod that removes question marks.

The lvl requirement thing isn't super bad.  Wish it didnt' say level, more just Red or Green.  Like green if your within 5 levels or something.  I mean recently I grabbed a mission off a board and it says Lvl like 34 or something.  I'm lvl 5 maybe.  And its like the first place it sends you when you leave the prologue area.  Why woudl they make that requrest show up on the board when your are so far away.  The game shoudl have new requests that "FIT" your level show up on the boards.  You know like you get lvl 10 a couple new request show up on every board on the whoel map.  Again ever 5-10 levels.  I suppose it is kind of neat seeing end level side quests fromt he get go, but don't want to talk to some npc and he gives me all this neat dialogue and then have to wait like 50 hours to complete it.  Woudl forget his mission details and lose immersion.

I woudl have to say though that this game has set a new bar for immersion.  The diverse side characters and detail put into the side quests and the how the world feels lived in and places and people where you would expect themt o be is quite amazing.  Everything jsut fits.  You mentioned finding a Pan.  I thought thatm issions woudl hilarious and cool.  So pointless and yet just filled out the world more.  The amount of effort that seemd to be put into a quest for finding a pan inside a house the woman who gave you the quest was great.

Then some side misions like the well are expanded upon even beyond the just go and do.  Like you read the diary she left that is half burnt.  The herbalist has info about them if you go and talk to her about it after doing it.  The hunter/tracker guy you find out was gay and the lover of the lords son and probably that secret was the reason they were killed.  ect.  So many extra details that are forced upon you doing the quest but found out if you go the extra mile and listen to others dialogues and piece together or go back and talk to someone that another mentions in the tale.  The quest doesn't send you to talkt o them, but you can go yourself.

It's those things that give it this amazing world that you so want, minus the question marks.

Why, oh why, did this game have to be made by a development team obsessed with performance? It's a train wreck at times but sometimes I catch a glimpse of what they were hoping to achieve. It's almost there but not enough to make it memorable. I want to believe in it ... I want to invest in it, but the fighting, the traversal, the 'feeling' of it just won't let me. I'm so annoyed with this game. I love it at times but suddenly HATE it when the wheels fall off. Damn it! Patch it!

I'm forcing myself to play it for extended periods. That's when I know I'm not 'feeling' it. A good game gobbles up time before I know it and leaves me wishing I hadn't played so long. This game makes me feel as if I wished I could play longer but for some reason I can't be bothered.

The PS5 Exists. 

irstupid said:

Well you could start at lower difficulty and then raise as you improve.  You can change it.

I read you can buy some potion of respec from like two diffrent vendors for like 1000 crowns that lets you respec.  So you can, its not cheap though.

I do agree that the question marks are a little exessive.  Be nice if they didn't have them at all.  Let me find the place of power on my own. I can see a monster nest easy enough when I encounter a group of monsters.  There have been side quests that have me go to half the quetsion marks while doing it, no need to point it out.  I loved it when I would raid some camp at a question mark, fidn a note that woudl lead me to another question mark, that lead me to the place of power that lead me to the church and the wraith all completing the viper weapon set.  There was no need for the question marks, the game's lore and books set me from one to the next.  I suppose I'll just download a mod that removes question marks.

The lvl requirement thing isn't super bad.  Wish it didnt' say level, more just Red or Green.  Like green if your within 5 levels or something.  I mean recently I grabbed a mission off a board and it says Lvl like 34 or something.  I'm lvl 5 maybe.  And its like the first place it sends you when you leave the prologue area.  Why woudl they make that requrest show up on the board when your are so far away.  The game shoudl have new requests that "FIT" your level show up on the boards.  You know like you get lvl 10 a couple new request show up on every board on the whoel map.  Again ever 5-10 levels.  I suppose it is kind of neat seeing end level side quests fromt he get go, but don't want to talk to some npc and he gives me all this neat dialogue and then have to wait like 50 hours to complete it.  Woudl forget his mission details and lose immersion.

I woudl have to say though that this game has set a new bar for immersion.  The diverse side characters and detail put into the side quests and the how the world feels lived in and places and people where you would expect themt o be is quite amazing.  Everything jsut fits.  You mentioned finding a Pan.  I thought thatm issions woudl hilarious and cool.  So pointless and yet just filled out the world more.  The amount of effort that seemd to be put into a quest for finding a pan inside a house the woman who gave you the quest was great.

Then some side misions like the well are expanded upon even beyond the just go and do.  Like you read the diary she left that is half burnt.  The herbalist has info about them if you go and talk to her about it after doing it.  The hunter/tracker guy you find out was gay and the lover of the lords son and probably that secret was the reason they were killed.  ect.  So many extra details that are forced upon you doing the quest but found out if you go the extra mile and listen to others dialogues and piece together or go back and talk to someone that another mentions in the tale.  The quest doesn't send you to talkt o them, but you can go yourself.

It's those things that give it this amazing world that you so want, minus the question marks.

It does get better then. I must have been unlucky with the quests so far as the one you described with the burnt diary, that's what I found first while exploring. I though it was a neat story then it suddenly said quest completed and that the witcher could have all their stuff, which didn't make any sense at the time. (No well quest or anything) I had also already found the ingredient for the griffin, which I had to talk to the herbalist about before finding it. That's the nature of open world and my luck, always stumbling into things out of order :/ If I had a dollar everytime I found a quest after completing the objective... Oh you wanted me to find this, here you go, that too? got it somewhere, clear that out? all done miss, anything else, no? Goodbye then. That's my usual experience in open world rpg lol.
Plus the npcs I see that are in trouble, crying next to a raided farm, only give a standard greeting when I talk to them. The logical place to start isn't the start of anything.

I'll turn the mini map off completely if possible and use the physical map supplied with the game for reference. No question marks or quest markers on that! See if that works. Though I'm kinda afraid to explore now as who knows what else I'll spoil.

And I'll start saving up for that refit potion :)

I´m trying to enjoy it but it´s being difficult, a few things are frustrating me on a consistent basis:

- I´m finding the combat and Geralt´s general movements clunky and imprecise

- There are far too many question marks on the map that are basically the same thing...either a bandit camp or a monster nest or an abandoned site full of enemies, etc...things like this get boring fast imo

- Sometimes the horse is a *** to deal with, when I call it´ll sometimes get stuck on trees, stop for no reason

I´ll keep playing a bit more to see if it at least 'clicks' on some level

Around the Network

I'm loving the game so far. It started off stronger than the Witcher 2 for me. Very good start.

SvennoJ said:
irstupid said:

It does get better then. I must have been unlucky with the quests so far as the one you described with the burnt diary, that's what I found first while exploring. I though it was a neat story then it suddenly said quest completed and that the witcher could have all their stuff, which didn't make any sense at the time. (No well quest or anything) I had also already found the ingredient for the griffin, which I had to talk to the herbalist about before finding it. That's the nature of open world and my luck, always stumbling into things out of order :/ If I had a dollar everytime I found a quest after completing the objective... Oh you wanted me to find this, here you go, that too? got it somewhere, clear that out? all done miss, anything else, no? Goodbye then. That's my usual experience in open world rpg lol.
Plus the npcs I see that are in trouble, crying next to a raided farm, only give a standard greeting when I talk to them. The logical place to start isn't the start of anything.

I'll turn the mini map off completely if possible and use the physical map supplied with the game for reference. No question marks or quest markers on that! See if that works. Though I'm kinda afraid to explore now as who knows what else I'll spoil.

And I'll start saving up for that refit potion :)

You talk to the herbalist AFTER you finish the woman in the well quest.  

When you finish the woman in the well quest, the guy who gave it to you, (The guy hoping ot have clean water for his sick daughter) tells you that the herbalist might have knew the lady who died.  If you then go talk to the herbalist, there will be a dialogue option to ask about the lady.  She will then tell you more abotu her. hwich helps clear up the diary you read while investigating the well during the quest.

As for the hunter guy.  If you mention how you also are a freak, he will say how he is a freak in that he is gay and that he was in love with the prior lords son. 

Basically from what I could put together it was that this couple was in love.  They decided to move out of town, for reasons I don't recal or unknown, and live in the country.  This place obviously being where the well is.  The lord of the area comes out to them to convince them to move back into town.  They make some commment about his son being gay and in the lords rage to that comment he ends up killing them.  She was hung from the well and became a wraith.  She is tied to the earth by the bracelet that her husband gave her.  In order to break the spell you have to burn her body, plus the bracelet, and kill the wraith.  

Felt like a pretty meaty quest for just being a random sidequest.  Especialy considering that half the information seems to have been stuff learned from people in optional dialogue whiel doing other quests.

But as you will find out playing witcher, there is no happy endings.  It's at best GRAY.

How do you change the difficulty in this game? I'm at the hard difficulty, but having never played a Witcher game...it's too hard. I can't do it. it's too hard, the game doesn't give me enough experience to level up and keeps forcing me to do missions a dozen levels too high, and forcing me against enemies that are definitely too high for me. I just can't do it! this game is harder than Bloodborne!

Or I just suck. that's entirely possible.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
How do you change the difficulty in this game? I'm at the hard difficulty, but having never played a Witcher game...it's too hard. I can't do it. it's too hard, the game doesn't give me enough experience to level up and keeps forcing me to do missions a dozen levels too high, and forcing me against enemies that are definitely too high for me. I just can't do it! this game is harder than Bloodborne!

Or I just suck. that's entirely possible.

In options, under gameplay I think. There is a slider somewhere that you can adjust all the way down to "just the story" (which is not really just the story, yet very easy)
Use signs to stun them, igni usually works while damaging them too. Or check the bestiairy, that will state exactly what each monster is vulnerable too.
And use R3 to lock on, that was my mistake. Without lock on the camera will be the hardest enemy in the game.

ghost_of_fazz said:

Haha dude you went the hard way, the crossbow kind of autofollows if you lock the aim on the enemy. But hey, if you did it with Aard it means you have more skills.

He was quite easy to knock down with Aard. Probably the simplest way to beat it.