By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon Is Going to Hit 1mil in Sales, and It Wont Take Very Long! (1 Month)

Skullwaker said:

Also, The Witcher 3 and Batman should have very little (if any) impact on Splatoon's sales, considering those games aren't on the Wii U.

If there would be any impact than the other way round: Splatoon is having an impact on Witcher 3 and Batman sales!

For those being "competitive" its cruicial being "day one" and staying ahead in online MP. Witcher 3 and Batman sell by their single player campaign. So if someone has to choose which one is more "urgent" and worth the money - it will be Splatoon.

Around the Network

It depend on the reviews.

I'd bet VGC won't have FW numbers by then

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Maybe it can reach 1 million in its lifetime... :X

in one month i think it's impossible...

The Bitch is back! And better then ever! #BritneyReturns

SONY Bring them BACK for PS4 and VITA!

I doubt it, I think it will reach 1 million by the end of the year.

Around the Network

Well OP I've already said before I think this will be the "new Mario Kart" or "New SSBros" although it will sell even better in next itinerations.

So yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it did 1M in one month. Maybe it'll even top that.

Let's see!

Not so sure for 1m in one month, but I can definitely see in first 3 month (summer period), there will be E3 hype and more important, Nintendo will keep pushing game whole summer with all that updates and new staffs.

For me on 1. september numbers will easily be 1m.

Ka-pi96 said:
mine said:
The_BlackHeart__ said:
1 Month? I don't think so. Why?

Because Its stuck between The Witcher 3 and Batman AK + The fact that for some reason Nintendo only users are still getting grasp on how online gaming works and may not be interested in a game that relies so much on it.

With that being said, if this game had actually the exact same set up BUT it was called Mario Paintball (with Nintendo Characters) it will sell 5 million copies in 1 year easily. The attachment ratio for Mario games is just ridiculous

"The Witcher" and "Batman" - coming to Wii U??

Both titles are completly irrelevant for the Wii U owner. And they even don't compete with Splatoon as Splatoon defines a new genre within the shooter genre.

Because Wii U owners never own any other gaming devices? Also, how exactly is it 'defining a new genre'?

He said "defines a new genre within the shooter genre." which is more like "defining a subgenre" than "defining a new genre" like you put it. So you're misquoting, either because you didn't understand or because you feel the need to do it because you want to take down what he said and it works better if you argue he said "defines e new genre".

Anyway I understand what he means and agree with him. Yes it's a shooter but you compare it to almost every other shooter out there and you'll see the only similar aspect between those are, well... the fact that you're shooting. Other than that you have a shooter were you play squids who shoot ink and the objective is to paint the bigger part of the map, you superjump near your teammates at any time, has platforming twists throughout the game, you have a swim-only-in-your-territory ability, you can only walk over your paint, it's colorful, etc. It has enough carisma and caracteristics that differentiates itself from most other shooters.

If you ask to a gamer which is a better racing game, Forza Horizon or Mario Kart 8, most will give you the same answer, "they are completly different, its hard to compare". Most don't even compare a real racing simulator with an arcade simulator, let alone with a colorful kart simulator.

Well the same principle applies in this case. You try and compare, let's say, CoD or Halo or Battlefield with Splatoon, well you'll have a very hard time. Myself, as someone who plays CoD a lot, believe they are two completly differente takes on the shooter genre. So different it would be very hard for me to compare them both. Sure people will have preferences on one or the other, but those preferences will also be very related to the kind of games you prefer or if you are bored at those genres ot not. 

Now, for the "defining it" par, well it will depend a lot on exposure, success, how people will like it, even hypothetical sequels. And on these parts it seems to be headed the right way. But, as for the "genre" itself, I'd say it's a different "subgenre" when compared to most shooters on the market.

600k in one month and one million FY perhaps but it will not sell a million in it's first month.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

If the 120k so far is true, just another 880k to go :O