By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Do You Think That Being Born And Raised in a Non-English Speaking Country Affects You?

Not really. The english used in most places on the internet is very basic and standard, so there isn't really that many problems with that. Actually, what's very annoying is when you know an expression in english, you know what it means and how it's used, but you can't really use it or translate it accurately in your own language.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

I can't really answer that, because despite being born and raised in a non english speaking country, I often think in english. Sometimes I dream in english, and if I talk to myself, I always do it in english. I guess I'm kinda bilingual.

But if you want to know my thoughts on the matter, no, I don't think it really matters. As most people on the internet aren't native english speakers, most of the people you communicate with are in the same situation as you (not you as in you specifically, but you as in those who feel disadvantaged due to not growing up in an emglish speaking country). And Wright has a point too, many native speakers fuck up too.

Yes I english bad

No, it doesn't affect me at all. Most of my days are spent doing things in English

Well, raised in South America, been studying english since I was 4. Not a problem at all.

Around the Network

Conversing in a language thats not my mother tongue is no big deal to me. To me its exactly like using my own language.

Why?
Because people around me using my language are usually dumber than me. They say stupid things or use "new words" that are "IN" at the moment because they want to feel cool or whatever. I refuse to join that neologism bandwagon unless its a word that really makes sense and is obviously not the creation of a person with an IQ of 10 or below.

So as a result I have some problems talking to them and the same thing happens if I need to talk to people in another language. We dont understand each other 100% of the time but usually we can figure out what the other person wants.

;)

When I am visiting another country (or even region in my own country that has a different dialect) and two or so weeks passed I usually start to think in the local language. Especially when most people I talk to are locals. My accent also changes accordingly.

Well I think you have to evaluate which of the area you have problem with. listening, speaking or writing?. I think non native speakers will always have an disadvantage in some area. For example my wife is a teacher in US but she was raised in Puerto Rico which is a Spanish country. The state required teachers to get and pass a test for the semester. My wife did pretty well in math and English grammar but failed in the reading comprehension section. The reason to that is that there were 30 question that has to be completed in 30 minutes. The time to get the read the whole paragragh and translate it in your native language take more time that the test let you to complete. I'm still working on my speaking reaction time. Sometimes it's hard for me to start talking in English but once I start, I do very well. I have been living in the US for 7 month now and when I first came here, I had a hard time adapting to different type of pronunciation especially pronunciation that came from African americans. I'm working on that everyday.

Man.... was going to be "funny" by mixing up the words yes and no... but that gives Yo and.... a word that would just be confused on here as one of the greatest consoles in history, cursed nerd based website!!

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

I'm Swedish, and I both think and speak with both languages mixed. Swenglish, as we like to call it, is quite common over here :) It comes natural when the languages offer different ways of expressing yourself. Sometimes an English word will better encapsulate my thoughts and I'll use that instead. Obviously though, adding Swedish words in this context would be very weird.

I must admit, I'm pretty jealous of bilingual people in different countries. Not only are your skills more versatile in a global economy (took some Spanish but don't consider myself fluent), but you also has a heritage and traditions you're proud of.

The US, though has the cool feature of choosing your own traditions, doesn't have as deep of a sense of national history as strong as other European/South American/Asian/African nations.