By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony "Nailed It" With PS4 and Deserves "Victory" Over Xbox One, Ex-EA CEO Says

"Deserves victory" is perhaps hyperbolic. I'm not sure any console manufacturer really "deserves" victory.

As a consumer, I'm satisfied with my PS4. It is exactly what I wanted out of a gaming console. It will have the kind of support that I was looking for in a console (meaning Japanese support as well as multplatform support). I don't buy Sony consoles for first party experiences; as very few, if any, Sony first party IP actually appeal to me. When most of my friends were off buying the Xbox One after its 180, I chose the PS4 because of the support that the Playstation 3 was having as opposed to the wasteland that 360 had become. The 360's JRPG library dried up after 2010 and that was one of the reasons I chose PS4, because I knew it would be getting the support that Xbox One would not have, as Microsoft stopped trying after 2009 and the Japanese market was simply uninterested in the Xbox brand.

As a prospective buyer, they absolutely did everything right by me. $100 less (not when I bought it, though), powerful enough, and focused on gaming, especially where it matters for me. Whether or not others feel the same is not my call to make. Where Microsoft and Nintendo go from here is anyone's guess. I'm assuming they're going to learn from this generation's fumbles, but you never know.

Around the Network
Maraccuda said:
I wouldnt say 'nailed it' rather than 'not rocking the boat'.

The PS4 is just the next sequential Playstation, while Xbone and Wii U tried to be different and was looked badly upon.

"different"

XBONE - HDMI IN, Snap, lack of removable HDD, tweaked controller, more square, suspend/resume, rest mode, streaming

Wii U - Tablet, Amiibos

Sure is different

PS4 - SharePlay, PSNow, suspend/resume, streaming, tweaked controller with touchpad obviously more similar then 360 and One controller (that is sarcasm btw), rhombus instead of round, rest mode

Yeah so much the same.

Please list the differences and similarities. 

Don't have to be such a victim and martyrize the XBO and Wii U, straight lying "saying they failed to sale because they where innovative".

No, no, just admit it, they failed because of the stupid decisions they make.

Microsoft believed they were gonna beat Sony with a hundred dollar extra weaker system because of price and a silly camera. The market slapped them in them back into reality, and now they are scrambling to fight in their home turf.

Wii U wasted a year. Foolishly banking off the Wii but forgetting one of the reason the Wii was so popular, because people new it existed. Nintendo started making games 4 it two years later but nobody cares.

All Sony had 2 do to fck up this generation is jack up the price or release late again, but they remembered the PS3 and made the PS4 just like Nintendo remembered the GC and made the Wii, but it seems that all that money they made caused them to forget.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Nem said:
DonFerrari said:

Even that would be a Mr. Burns nose... 15% is not a insignificant amount.

What would you say about the people who were hopping on tier 2 and china?

There is nothing to say. The Xbox is a system aimed at the needs of the american market. It does not carry the same type of appeal outside of it.

If Microsoft is really serious about winning globally, they need to rebrand and broaden their software focus. Though in Japan, whatever they do seems like a lost cause. Still, if they are serious, they need to be willing to take those losses. They were in the right track with the 360, but then they gave up. That RPG wave at the beggining of the 360's life was super significant. If they had kept on with it, the X1 would have had a chance.

Theres also a different idea. wich is to create alliances in the japanese market. Say SEGA for example shouldnt be very expensive. Carry that SEGA name into the console instead of Microsoft and call it something different than Xbox. Sales already got better.

As sad as it is, it seems like only Sony cares about going uphill battle and stick to their ideas and fight for it even if it cost money and takes time. But it sure bear fruits.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Maraccuda said:
I wouldnt say 'nailed it' rather than 'not rocking the boat'.

The PS4 is just the next sequential Playstation, while Xbone and Wii U tried to be different and was looked badly upon.

"different"

XBONE - HDMI IN, Snap, lack of removable HDD, tweaked controller, more square, suspend/resume, rest mode, streaming

Wii U - Tablet, Amiibos

Sure is different

PS4 - SharePlay, PSNow, suspend/resume, streaming, tweaked controller with touchpad obviously more similar then 360 and One controller (that is sarcasm btw), rhombus instead of round, rest mode

Yeah so much the same.

Please list the differences and similarities. 

Don't have to be such a victim and martyrize the XBO and Wii U, straight lying "saying they failed to sale because they where innovative".

No, no, just admit it, they failed because of the stupid decisions they make.

Microsoft believed they were gonna beat Sony with a hundred dollar extra weaker system because of price and a silly camera. The market slapped them in them back into reality, and now they are scrambling to fight in their home turf.

Wii U wasted a year. Foolishly banking off the Wii but forgetting one of the reason the Wii was so popular, because people new it existed. Nintendo started making games 4 it two years later but nobody cares.

All Sony had 2 do to fck up this generation is jack up the price or release late again, but they remembered the PS3 and made the PS4 just like Nintendo remembered the GC and made the Wii, but it seems that all that money they made caused them to forget.

I never said Wii U and Xbone didnt make any bad dicisions, they did, and it was costly. Mistakes outside of simple hardware specs. When I said 'different' I meant different from the stereotypical gaming device. Wii U tried to emulate Wii with a new controller, Xbone tried to be a movie and entertainment device that people didnt want yet. While Sony pretty much said, 'new console does what a console should'.

Most of the features you listed on the PS4 are post launch and not really selling points (nor is the Wii U gamepad or Xbone camera) (games are the major selling point in my books).

All I am trying to say is upon reveal Xbone goofed up big time and the PS4 presentation was designed to be anti-Xbone without really saying it is unique to their console.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

Maraccuda said:

I never said Wii U and Xbone didnt make any bad dicisions, they did, and it was costly. Mistakes outside of simple hardware specs. When I said 'different' I meant different from the stereotypical gaming device. Wii U tried to emulate Wii with a new controller, Xbone tried to be a movie and entertainment device that people didnt want yet. While Sony pretty much said, 'new console does what a console should'.

Most of the features you listed on the PS4 are post launch and not really selling points (nor is the Wii U gamepad or Xbone camera) (games are the major selling point in my books).

All I am trying to say is upon reveal Xbone goofed up big time and the PS4 presentation was designed to be anti-Xbone without really saying it is unique to their console.

Really?

During the PS4 E3 the XB1 was never mentioned, either in name or reference. In what way was it Anti-Xbone? The Price? The price that Sony cut by 100$ in 6-9 hours.

They made all the AntiXB1 changes after X1 reveal? A month before XB1, of of the policies people barely clarified?

I wonder if any one who say the PS4 barely distinguishes from XB1 actually saw the announcement or the reveal, you know the one 3 months before the XB1 reveal that PS4 retroactively reacted agianst?

Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OhDX0anXZE

tl:dw

here's the gist of it: SharePlay, PSNow, suspend/resume, streaming, rest mode, making it easier to program for etc...

as for the E3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOoJ6ucEY8g

summary: games, PSNow, PS4 Reveal and price, Vita, and yeah stating their stance on DRM

2 minutes of "Anti Xbox one" or just clarifying there stance on Used games, a question that XBO and MS forced everyone to ask

in a 2hr conference, AntiXb1 indeed, the remaining 1:58 of everything else including game reveals(Which you said are major selling points in your book) apparently wasn't saying how their console was unique but was just filler that wrapped around the two minutes of actual conference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ-To7WJyWs

FYI: Digital DRM originated on PCs out necessity, MS are the ones who fcked up the way they tried to introduce it, and then people started asking Sony what they where going to do, and that was since May, before E3

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Really?

During the PS4 E3 the XB1 was never mentioned, either in name or reference. In what way was it Anti-Xbone? The Price? The price that Sony cut by 100$ in 6-9 hours.

They made all the AntiXB1 changes after X1 reveal? A month before XB1, of of the policies people barely clarified?

I wonder if any one who say the PS4 barely distinguishes from XB1 actually saw the announcement or the reveal, you know the one 3 months before the XB1 reveal that PS4 retroactively reacted agianst?

Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OhDX0anXZE

tl:dw

here's the gist of it: SharePlay, PSNow, suspend/resume, streaming, rest mode, making it easier to program for etc...

as for the E3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOoJ6ucEY8g

summary: games, PSNow, PS4 Reveal and price, Vita, and yeah stating their stance on DRM

2 minutes of "Anti Xbox one" or just clarifying there stance on Used games, a question that XBO and MS forced everyone to ask

in a 2hr conference, AntiXb1 indeed, the remaining 1:58 of everything else including game reveals(Which you said are major selling points in your book) apparently wasn't saying how their console was unique but was just filler that wrapped around the two minutes of actual conference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ-To7WJyWs

FYI: Digital DRM originated on PCs out necessity, MS are the ones who fcked up the way they tried to introduce it, and then people started asking Sony what they where going to do, and that was since May, before E3

Firstly I do not hate Sony, in fact I love my PS3 (I have a great dislike of M$) and I am in no way trying to badmouth them, but I just think that the PS4 is more successful than it should be. Simply put there is nothing special about it. 'Special' that sets it apart from a standard gaming console. I am not saying that is a bad thing or that consoles need to be innovative with a new control method for example, but compared to the other consoles the PS4, in my opinion, is playing it safe.

The Xbone was never directly mentioned in the Sony E3 no, but from what I gathered, as well as many on the internet is that Sony took some jabs at the Xbone.

As for the original reveal and what not, none of those features interested me nor seem that important to gaming at the moment, thus I couldnt recall them (yes this can change in later gens but as of right now there is too much focus on it). And I dont think many people would buy a PS4 for those features listed anyway.

Yes I know DRM came from PCs and that M$ tried to introduce it onto the Xbone in a pathetic way, I just think the way Sony handled their own stance on DRM was a little mean (especially that commercial that explains how to share games on PS4).

I know the PS4 is the better console spec wise and price wise (initially), but game wise it is lacklustre in my opinion. To me the PS4 is the lesser of 3 evils.

Nothing I say will make you think otherwise, nor would anything you say to me, so let us agree to disagree.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

You're opinion, doesn't matter. Whether they "deserved", "earned", "nailed", etc, doesn't matter. If any one gave a flying fuck about the innovation you cared about, then that console would be winning, but its not so no they don't care. The lack luster games library you don't like, is a game library that 21 million other people do, so I don't see why your opinion is at all relevant. You and anyone else are free to say what ever you want, to delude yourselves into a state where it is impossible to fathom how this reality could have happened. But that doesn't change anything, its meaningless.

As to why you can't handle the truth, that simply because you don't want to.

There are a lot harder questions then "Why PS4 is winning?" and their are simple answers to that question. More people like it. And even if you don't, that doesn't change anything, 21 million and counting still don't care. The people wishing for a meteor to fall on Sony HQ are more realistic.

People have brains, they control their wallets. If they think it deserves a sale, they buy it. If they don't believe it deserves a sale, they don't buy it.

This is a graph of everyone who thinks each individual console deserves a sale:

Nothing wrong with stating your opinion, just don't act suprised when it gets called out. This is a public forum after all.

Agree, Disagree, it doesn't matter, the proof is right there everytime you visit the homepage.

padib said:

So was it for the Wii last gen though. Look what happened there.

The PS4 is winning right now, but realistically on what grounds? Sure people voted with their wallets, but they also did for the Wii and look at what happened to its successor!

Sales at time t only paint a certain picture, not the whole truth.

Nintendo got cocky and miss managed the project.

If they had named it "Wii 2" and continued to use a Nunchuck wiimote, it would have sold much better than it does now.

Spending 80$ or so on the gamepad is just to much, it comes down to design choices.

Nintendo killed their successor, themselves.

Imagine what Nintendos consol would be like if ;

instead of gamepad, it had a much cheaper Nunchunk Wiimote.

instead of some weird IBM CPU it has a normal x86 cpu (so it could play games developed from same engines as the ps4/xbox1)

instead of launching with barely any games, it launched with Mario Galaxy 3.

Im telling you Wii U (wii 2) would be at much much higher sales nrs.

padib said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

You're opinion, doesn't matter. Whether they "deserved", "earned", "nailed", etc, doesn't matter. If any one gave a flying fuck about the innovation you cared about, then that console would be winning, but its not so no they don't care. The lack luster games library you don't like, is a game library that 21 million other people do, so I don't see why your opinion is at all relevant. You and anyone else are free to say what ever you want, to delude yourselves into a state where it is impossible to fathom how this reality could have happened. But that doesn't change anything, its meaningless.

As to why you can't handle the truth, that simply because you don't want to.

There are a lot harder questions then "Why PS4 is winning?" and their are simple answers to that question. More people like it. And even if you don't, that doesn't change anything, 21 million and counting still don't care. The people wishing for a meteor to fall on Sony HQ are more realistic.

People have brains, they control their wallets. If they think it deserves a sale, they buy it. If they don't believe it deserves a sale, they don't buy it.

This is a graph of everyone who thinks each individual console deserves a sale:

Nothing wrong with stating your opinion, just don't act suprised when it gets called out. This is a public forum after all.

Agree, Disagree, it doesn't matter, the proof is right there everytime you visit the homepage.

So was it for the Wii last gen though. Look what happened there.

The PS4 is winning right now, but realistically on what grounds? Sure people voted with their wallets, but they also did for the Wii and look at what happened to its successor!

Sales at time t only paint a certain picture, not the whole truth.

You're right. It doesn't show the whole truth, but the market changes and people want different things, and it is a company's responsibility to find out what people want and offer that to them.

PS3 fell to 80 mill after a gen of 150 million(PS2) and 100 million(PS1). So clearly, there was a disconnect between the consumers and Sony.

Same thing is happening to the Wii U. Nintendo being out of touch, and yeah we could say they didn't know but just because you didn't read the book doesn't mean you shouldnt fail the class. Not only did they have a year lead on the market, but they also had a year lead of marketting as well. At least MS releaized the issues before release, even though they didn't do enough to fix them. Nintendo wasted at least a year, not listening to what people wanted. Those are the grounds of failure.

The grounds on which the PS4 is winning is that it gives people what they want, or at least the most people what they want. How is that any different from what the Wii or PS2 did?

Whether or not something deserves a sale, depends on the buyer. Whoever has the most buyers, deserves the most sales.

And the confusion, the reason people can't seem to pin down the killer feature of the PS4 is because, that kind of evaluation doesn't make any sense. Everyone buys what they want for different reasons. If you can't understand the reason, then of course you won't understand how its selling.

i.e Games sell Consoles, I don't like PS4s games, so it shouldn't sell...is what people who do not understand are trying to reconcile with the reality that it is selling.

Any one reason does not matter, the reason the PS4 is selling is because it gives enough reasons to buy it either minor ones or major ones. Some people might buy it because its Playstation, or because of an indie they can get for free with PS+, hell I know a guy that bought it for resogun and warframe. 

These are why anyone chooses to buy or not buy a product, why it "deserves" sales. And we have the number of sales to prove it.

These are the grounds. 

padib said:

You're missing my point though. The Wii sold and people bought it, but a few years later nobody wanted what they bought. That's why the U, though offering much of the same thing that was offered on Wii, had no buzz. It's because people didn't actually like what they bought imho. Many people, myself included, got caught up in the Wii craze: Wii Sports, Wii Play, but a few years later I didn't want to even smell those games.

My point is, the PS4 may be selling, but imho there is no sure ground in the sales at the moment. There is little, objectively speaking, to say that these users will be happy with their purchases and that these sales represent a sustainable audience. That is my point.

@JRPGFan. I highly doubt it. The Wii craze had come and gone, Nintendo needed great games and much more of them, and something very different from the Wii imho. Proof is, they tried. Nintendoland: flunk. Wii Fit U: flunk. NSMBU: flunk. Flunk, flunk, flunk.

In what ways does the Wii U offer much of the same, the Wii did?

Apart from it haveing mario games? (which are vastly differnt from one another)

I dont think the Wii craze came and went, I think Nintendo changed, and people didnt like the change nintendo did.

If Nintendo next consol comes with a nunchuck (no gamepad = 80$ cheaper) & a mario galaxy 3 game..... Im buying one.

After Wii U im not sure, I want to buy another Nintendo consol (which is sad cuz Ive had nes/snes/n64/gc/wii/wii u, now).

Im saveing up for a PS4, and getting one (I skipped PS3).