By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony "Nailed It" With PS4 and Deserves "Victory" Over Xbox One, Ex-EA CEO Says

Mad55 said:

My point was coming from a perspective of their continued success. They deserved the initial sales and success as they capitalized on Microsofts blunder and got a good head start. Though now those first 2 points don't matter as much. The better launch perception only last for a little while or at least it should as after a few months customer should wonder what now? In terms of newer offerings and experiences for consumers both Microsoft and Sony have been about equal, but Sony keeps selling better and that's not because of slightly better resolution on multiplats. 

Being cheaper from the start should not keep sony ahead when the xbox one is cheaper now and has been on equal footing with sony in terms of a lot of things. Sony started off doing more and deserving their success but now it seems like they aren't doing anything spectacular in comparison to Microsoft to warrant the continued lead over them in weekly and monthly sales. 

Equal footing isn't enough, though; let's set aside the differences in performance that do still exist, and the inevitably larger differences in available content, (if you're a big fan of plentiful Japanese titles, prooobably going to shoot yourself in the foot if the Xbox One is your only console,) as well inevitable brand power in the mainland European, Asian and nearly every other region that the Xbox doesn't have.

Just to be sure, your point appears to be that while Sony isn't doing anything spectacular to warrant higher sales, neither is Microsoft, putting them on literally equal footing when it comes to deserved sales. Basically, from what I can tell, your point doesn't seem to be that Microsoft is offering an objectively superior product either.

Now, for sake of argument, let's say that what differences DO exist between the consoles were sandblasted away tomorrow. No performance gap. Identical libraries except for first-party or money-hatted exclusives. Equal brand recognition and popularity. What you'd still be left with is one console that has been more or less on course from the beginning, and another whose messaging and image has been muddled by often rapidly changing policies, backtracking, reversals and alterations that make its incarnation today VASTLY different from the product that had been envisioned. Perception is everything, and even WHEN everything else is equal (which it really isn't,) the simple fact that one competitor made fewer mistakes and stuck to a clearer, far more confident message does have an impact. While making all these reversals was definitely the right call, it does shine the Xbox One in the light of being less an industry leader, and more a follower. =P

It's not simply going to be enough for the Xbox One to be on equal footing to the PS4; if it turns things around and regains control of the U.S., it's going to have to be because it is the BETTER option, at least in the U.S., with more desirable titles and features than its competitor. It's part of why Halo 5 gets tossed around alot as an expected sales driver; chances are, the last major pocket of holdouts waiting for a reason to jump on board will do so when that game hits. (Obviously, smaller pockets of holdouts will arrive in the future, I just think the peak of 'FINE, the time is now!' decisions will be this holiday.)

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
Mad55 said:

My point was coming from a perspective of their continued success. They deserved the initial sales and success as they capitalized on Microsofts blunder and got a good head start. Though now those first 2 points don't matter as much. The better launch perception only last for a little while or at least it should as after a few months customer should wonder what now? In terms of newer offerings and experiences for consumers both Microsoft and Sony have been about equal, but Sony keeps selling better and that's not because of slightly better resolution on multiplats. 

Being cheaper from the start should not keep sony ahead when the xbox one is cheaper now and has been on equal footing with sony in terms of a lot of things. Sony started off doing more and deserving their success but now it seems like they aren't doing anything spectacular in comparison to Microsoft to warrant the continued lead over them in weekly and monthly sales. 

Yes, I know.  Here, I'll repeat what I just said.  

Your argument may be that the first two of these don't matter.  But they still do, and here's why.  

The early success means that many early adopters had a PS4.  The importance of the early adopters is that people know other people who have a console.  This means that if you want to play with your friends, you need to buy a PS4.  And online play is getting bigger and bigger, so this matters more and more. 

So even though, the XBO is now cheaper, it doesn't matter because people want to play with their friends.  In addition, PS4 still has the best multiplats.  

"So even though, the XBO is now cheaper, it doesn't matter because people want to play with their friends." that point really holds no weight to me lol. As a lot of people from the 360 stuck with the xbox one because a lot of their friends were going there because it was their preferred system in general form the previous gen. there really o metric fo that point to work either way As I see alot of people who stuck with the xbox one regardless of it's opening blunder because their friends were going there anyway. We knew the online play was a big thing last gen the fact that its more relevent and is growing doesnt really drive home anything in the grand scheme last gen is where it really sprouted this gen is just a continuation. 

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Mad55 said:

Open your eyes. A generation isn't made of a recent months. It's made of the entire history from start to finish.

If Sony started better than MS, MS doesn't catch up by running the same speed as them. They have to run twice as fast just to even have a chance of cactching up.

I have never seen a race, where one guys messes up his start, and then catches up because he's running the same speed as him, that's not how anything in the real world works.

The only way the current situation doesn't make sense, is if you ignore everything before this year.

Let me simply this even further:

If Sony isn't doing anything spectacular in comparison to Microsoft, a statement that doesn't make sense considering Microsoft is the one trying to catch up but i digress,

THEN IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR MS TO MAGICALLY CATCH UP, AND THE ENTIRE SITUATION MAKES ABSOLUTE SENSE,

IF MS WANTS TO DO AS GOOD AS SONY WITH PS4, THEY NEED TO BE AT LEAST TWICE AS GOOD, not basically even.

If one guy gets 5 apples in the beginning and the other person only gets 2 at the beginning, Is anyone going to act suprise when the other guy has a 3 apple lead on the other even though they have both been getting one apple every week? No.

What in my post eludes to me thinking a generation was made in a couple of months? Please point that out. 

That whole race analogy does not really work here I can make plenty of analogies aout people getting on equal footing or ahead while just deciding to do just as much work as their competitors or less with shady tactics. Microsoft does not need to be twice as good as sony in my opinion to be on equal footing with sony and my point never was that they should be able to pass them while giving the same amount of effort. My whole point from the get-go wasnt that microsoft deserves to be winning it's more that sony isn't doing a whole lot to keep the lead they have its just sort of happening, its ridiculous honestly. 

the funny thing is they say they nailed it. what games have come out to prove this.

seinsmeld said:
the funny thing is they say they nailed it. what games have come out to prove this.

Don't need a million games, if the system is pretty much selling itself.

Around the Network
Zanten said:
Mad55 said:

Equal footing isn't enough, though; let's set aside the differences in performance that do still exist, and the inevitably larger differences in available content, (if you're a big fan of plentiful Japanese titles, prooobably going to shoot yourself in the foot if the Xbox One is your only console,) as well inevitable brand power in the mainland European, Asian and nearly every other region that the Xbox doesn't have.

Just to be sure, your point appears to be that while Sony isn't doing anything spectacular to warrant higher sales, neither is Microsoft, putting them on literally equal footing when it comes to deserved sales. Basically, from what I can tell, your point doesn't seem to be that Microsoft is offering an objectively superior product either.

Now, for sake of argument, let's say that what differences DO exist between the consoles were sandblasted away tomorrow. No performance gap. Identical libraries except for first-party or money-hatted exclusives. Equal brand recognition and popularity. What you'd still be left with is one console that has been more or less on course from the beginning, and another whose messaging and image has been muddled by often rapidly changing policies, backtracking, reversals and alterations that make its incarnation today VASTLY different from the product that had been envisioned. Perception is everything, and even WHEN everything else is equal (which it really isn't,) the simple fact that one competitor made fewer mistakes and stuck to a clearer, far more confident message does have an impact. While making all these reversals was definitely the right call, it does shine the Xbox One in the light of being less an industry leader, and more a follower. =P

It's not simply going to be enough for the Xbox One to be on equal footing to the PS4; if it turns things around and regains control of the U.S., it's going to have to be because it is the BETTER option, at least in the U.S., with more desirable titles and features than its competitor. It's part of why Halo 5 gets tossed around alot as an expected sales driver; chances are, the last major pocket of holdouts waiting for a reason to jump on board will do so when that game hits. (Obviously, smaller pockets of holdouts will arrive in the future, I just think the peak of 'FINE, the time is now!' decisions will be this holiday.)

My point was never to say that microsoft deserved better sales. I was pointing to the fact that they deserved equal sales and that sony hasn't done alot to deserve the lead they still have against Microsoft or the wiiu honestly. I pointed to Microsfts price drop as a point to why they deserve to be on equal footing. As well as other things like a better public image, constant monthly updates to the OS, and a few other things all of which I didn't believe I needed to point out givien you all know this already. Saying a company stuck with a clearer more focused path doesn't mean anythingt to me as a gamer when their not really giving me a whole lot better in comparison to the competition when it's allegedly their main focus in compairson to microsofts console. 

Also no one thinks of the Xbox one as a follower for resversing its rules to that of the PS4 and last gen consoles and consoles before that. People just wanted the rules reversed and they were honestly at least most people who I know prsonally who had 360's felt that way. 

padib said:
Sony honestly does not deserve this. They are not offering a decent 1st party library for the unanimous market leader.

It certainly begs the question where all the excitement is coming from. The popularity of 3rd party multiplats has drastically fallen, as the sales show, there are too few 1st party games to boast about, many games are still cross-gen.

Honestly, Sony's dominance this gen makes little sense to me. Moreoever, the WiiU is underselling and hasn't seen one proper price drop. wtf Nintendo.

It's because MS doesn't have anything to brag about either. So when you have two consoles with meh first party you go with what's promised in the future, hardware, and price.

Sony had all of that when this gen started. All the Indies were coming to Sony and mmos as well. It's taken MS to long to catch up and now people are going with what's more popular. MS could have won people with the Kinect but even that's proven to be a failure not one decent game for it.

Sony nailed nothing and deserves shit. they came with an expensive console that lacks games even today. it sold only on false advertisement and mass market ignorance. it doesn't help that their case that sony pays for games not to be on wii u either.

DonFerrari said:
Nem said:

What else can one say when the PS4 is selling at double the rate the X1 is WW? There is no way to roundabout the situation.

That Sony will win by a nose. Or that after MS release in tier 2 countries and China it will pass ps4.

That "by a nose" comment was obviously globally in the US.

seinsmeld said:

These for instance:

Alien: Isolation
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Assassin's Creed: Unity
Bloodborne
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Destiny
Diablo III
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Dragon Ball: Xenoverse
Driveclub
Dying Light