By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Safe to say the WiiU is worst selling Nintendo home console of all time.

The Wii U may be the worst selling, but it's (right after the Gamecube) is the best Nintendo console to date. My opinion of course.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
Samus Aran said:

How is that a hate post?

Sorry I don't have the time to list every single company in existence. Read my first line "like every single gaming company". One example should suffice.

I don't even know what's wrong with making sequels to succesful franchises, but for some reason only Nintendo gets flack for it. Double standards...

I gotta agree with Samus here; the whole industry is basically built upon repetition. Look at the top sellers in the past 5-10 years, there isn't a lot of variation there at all, and that goes for all publishers and developers.

Yep, what does GTA V do that is so significantly different from GTA III back in 2001?

What makes Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare so much different than Modern Warfare back in 2007?

How is Assassin's Creed: Unity much different than the original released back in 2007?

Same with Madden/FIFA/Need for Speed which have had a new release pretty much every year since for over 20 years.

Mortal Kombat X, Street Fighter V, Tekken 6, Dragonball Xenoverse are the big hyped up fighters of 2015/2016 and all belong to 20+ year old franchises.

Star Wars Battlefront is a reboot/sequel to a decade old game and when counting Star Wars as a whole has had dozens of games in the last 30 years.

Arkham Knight is the 4th entry in the series in 6 years, when counting Batman as a whole, there has to be dozens of games released in the past 25 years.

Even new ip like Watch Dogs, Destiny, Titanfall, Dying Light, Evil Within aren't really all that original in terms of gameplay.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

bunchanumbers said:
OfficerRaichu15 said:
WRONG!
Virtual Boy my friends
900k sold lifetime!
Itll be the 2nd worse selling though.

This. Love how everyone conveniently forgets the real console that sold the worst.

Virtual Boy was marketed as a portable console(and thus regarded as a handheld), and not Nintendo's main home console for the fifth generation. Wii-U so far is NIntendo's worst selling home console.

Yep now let's hope it stays that way forever!

AnthonyW86 said:
bunchanumbers said:
OfficerRaichu15 said:
WRONG!
Virtual Boy my friends
900k sold lifetime!
Itll be the 2nd worse selling though.

This. Love how everyone conveniently forgets the real console that sold the worst.

Virtual Boy was marketed as a portable console(and thus regarded as a handheld), and not Nintendo's main home console for the fifth generation. Wii-U so far is NIntendo's worst selling home console.

I don't consider it a mobile device. It had its own controller and stand.

Around the Network

Safe to say less total sales than Dreamcast?

hunter_alien said:
Pretty much certain at this point. Unless Nintendo somehow announces a couple of massive old and new IPs that will receive stellar reviews, and keeps it going until the end of 2018, even the chances of it hitting 20 million are slim.

The Wii U has been releasing a lot of quality content. It can't be the software, or at least I don't think so. In my mind they just screwed up the marketing and didn't target an appropriate demographic. 

#thetimeisnow

yoscrafty said:
hunter_alien said:
Pretty much certain at this point. Unless Nintendo somehow announces a couple of massive old and new IPs that will receive stellar reviews, and keeps it going until the end of 2018, even the chances of it hitting 20 million are slim.

The Wii U has been releasing a lot of quality content. It can't be the software, or at least I don't think so. In my mind they just screwed up the marketing and didn't target an appropriate demographic. 

I think it's a combination of marketing, price and software output.

Their was initial confusion whether or not it was even a new console, many thought it was an accessory for Wii. That along with most of the advertising being aimed at 12 year olds, which don't respond very well to things aimed directly at their age group as they are at the stage when they don't want be seen as kids anymore.

2.5 years after launch, it still costs $300. It's stuck in the middle between PS3/360 & PS4/One in terms of price. People who want a budget console will get the sub-$200 PS3/360 with 100's of games under $20 and the people looking for a higher end device will likely choose the more powerful consoles with much more multimedia features like PS4/One which are just $50-100 more expensive.

As for software, Wii U has top-notch 1st/2nd party exclusives, the problem is they are too far and few between. A console can't do well off of the strength of 2-3 major releases per quarter when the competitors are getting that or perhaps even more on a monthly basis.

the combination of these 3 things have made Wii U pretty much just a console for people who are big fans of Nintendo.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

not very safe to say.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.