By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why do you think the Earth is a Ball ?

Soonerman said:

Actually, the Mayans were the first to discovered the earth was round. The figured the shadow cast over the earth by the Sun made the earth curve around. They also were the first to discover that the earth gravitated around the sun. But because we live in a Euro-western dominated society, books will not acknowledge the Mayan as an advance culture that discovered things before most European scientists. Btw, if indigenous population were savages, where did the corn come from? Corn is the only produce that cannot grow by itself so, was it created by the American people back then?

Mayans had good astrology.

Im not sure if they ever proved the earth wasnt flat.

They where probably the first to fly though :) with hot air balloons.

Thats like saying christopher columbus was the first to discover america.

Vikings had been to canada and america long before then.

Go back even future to the people that migrated there (20,000+ years ago), and became known as indians.

Im amazed they had working ovens with chimneys back then.

Around the Network

Horizon? Every other celestial body also being a ball?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

mZuzek said:
Leadified said:

If you go around the equator and along a meridian you'll end up in the same place you started and you won't encounter any edges (you'll go in a circle), so the Earth can only be a spheroid.

This is the worst argument I've seen so far and yet everyone's been saying this crap. Look at Pac-Man. If you crossed the edge of the stage at the right, you would show up at the left side, and that wasn't round. It's obviously how the world works.

I'd rather not have to explain this in detail, but your Pac-Man argument is flawed because you did not take into account meridians.

i know there is an overwhelming about of sound evidence to support the world being round but there is a chance that may conflict with something in the bible so i choose to live in a world that is flat and full of dinosaurs.

Because if you travel around the world in one direction, you'll roughly get back to where you started...

I don't really get this question?

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
kitler53 said:
i know there is an overwhelming about of sound evidence to support the world being round but there is a chance that may conflict with something in the bible so i choose to live in a world that is flat and full of dinosaurs.

And how's that working out for you?

my life is very exciting.  just yesterday i walked on water while the big guy watched over me.

kljesta64 said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
The temperature gradient between the poles and the equator is caused primarily by the Earth being spherical.
The Sun's rays hit more surface area in the poles because its curved.(near parallel 2 Sun), and less in the equator because its flatter(perpendicular). Since the heat is distributed over less area in the Equator, that heat is concentrated and its hotter. At the poles that heat is distributed over a large area, so it is diffused.

Also lunar eclipses.

i think i get all that ..but still dont see how it proves the earth to be round as you said 'curved' but not a ball not round a flat earth can also be curved.

Well their is no place on earth colder than the poles, so we know that is the point of maximum curvature. Because their are two, and because it gets warmer once you move away from the poles, you know it curves all the way around like a pipe. Latitudanally(from pole to equator to pole), with the poles being the tips and the equator being the sides. Now you have to prove it wraps longitudinally(east to west).

The easiest way to do that is to just go around the planet once, but when I say easiest I mean most naive.

The lunar eclipse is Earth's shadow projected onto the moon. It is always curved. If the earth was a pipe then at the edges of the pipe the shadow would have straight edges

so not only does it wrap, longitudinally(east-wes.t) and latitudinally(north-south) which would mean its a closed shape. It is curved north to south because of temperature, and curved east to west because of lunar eclipse.

Fun fact, it flat plains large enough to where you can see the horizon on the other side, like the ocean. You can actually see the curvature of the earth.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

if all the answers havent satisfied you yet, just look at the moon and sun, do you see a square plane?

I haven't circumnavigated the globe all at once but if I put all my travels together I have. Gone from America to Germany, Germany to Australia, Australia to Hawaii, and Hawaii back to America. If the earth weren't a ball one of those trips would've been a lot longer than it was at the time.

Torillian said:
I haven't circumnavigated the globe all at once but if I put all my travels together I have. Gone from America to Germany, Germany to Australia, Australia to Hawaii, and Hawaii back to America. If the earth weren't a ball one of those trips would've been a lot longer than it was at the time.

australia to hawaii one way flight or with at least one stop ? east to west i guess ?

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.