By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Now is available on 2015 Sony Blu-ray Players

JustBeingReal said:

You clearly didn't read my post thoroughly enough, I mentioned the subsciption factor, it's needed to pay for everything to do with the hardware and maybe the games.

My thoughts weren't one dimentional at all, they relate the only point that matters for a business, which effects every decision (hence why it's multi-dimentional thing), that is how do I make money.

Too high a price for the customer, the more likely you lose customers and that means you lose overall income. The only reason to do a cloud only system is if it was more cost effective, but it's not!

With physical hardware people know what the deal is, they buy the box, connect it at home and get their next gen console experience (compared to the last), with the cloud they have to pay out the same amount of cash (in one way or another), they get a lag filled experience, no new physical box, a worse experience because of said lag and the new box experience is lost, they also have to now pay a monthly fee comparable to the price of their mobile phone bill, for the rest of the generation, along with buying games, with no physical ownership.

The reason PS Now is viable is because it's made for PS3 level gaming, it's not aiming to provide the current, let alone next gen experience. PS3's Cell & RSX, along with RAM is very cheap compared to PS4 or whatever PS5 will have.

A gradual upgrade doesn't work for the fully fledged implementation of the next gen platform. PS Now isn't providing PS3 gaming for all the people that want to play PS3 games, it's only being used by a few PS Now customers and isn't aiming to replace everything.

The math is quite simple really, for each user you need a processor, RAM and everything you needed for each console, plus bandwidth to connect to that person, the subscription model doesn't recoup all of the costs until at the least a year down the line from launch, which means Sony or whoever has incurred that cost for all of that time, with the physical hardware they've been paid for all of those consoles on launch day and now they're making money off of the software months before they'll make a dent in their debt from the cloud only system.

Another factor to think about is that people fear what they don't understand, most people won't get how this works, because it's way too complicated for the lay person.

The profit margin for PS Now doesn't relate to the profit margin for a next gen cloud based console, because Playstation Cloud uses far more expensive hardware from day one.

What do you mean by that? PSNow could stream high end PC games if Sony wanted it to.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
sabvre42 said:

Your cost estimates are horribly off. Servers use something called virtualization. You have one huge beast of a machine and split the system into virtual machines. PS4 is x86 which means you can literally use traditional servers instead of the customs used for ps3 emulation on PS Now.

That said you'd implement server farms in all the big metro areas to reduce ping.

They aren't at all, the point was to represent the number of users with current technology, whether you have a processor, RAM, etc per user or X amount of processing power it doesn't matter you still need that much power for that many users and the costs are static in that moment in time.

Your network still costs a billion dollars for 3 million PS4/cloud gamers today, my cost estimates are actually bang on, because they're based on an example of PS4 technology, obviously I can't say how much the PS5 equivalent would be, but it's the same deal, you still have X amount of performance needed for each gamer.

As for your latency comment, servers are still miles from each gamer, the lag will never compare to the lower latency of having your physical box in your house, that's a fact no one can get around, it's another issue that makes this very unappealing to the very audience that games on consoles now.

GribbleGrunger said:
JustBeingReal said:

You clearly didn't read my post thoroughly enough, I mentioned the subsciption factor, it's needed to pay for everything to do with the hardware and maybe the games.

My thoughts weren't one dimentional at all, they relate the only point that matters for a business, which effects every decision (hence why it's multi-dimentional thing), that is how do I make money.

Too high a price for the customer, the more likely you lose customers and that means you lose overall income. The only reason to do a cloud only system is if it was more cost effective, but it's not!

With physical hardware people know what the deal is, they buy the box, connect it at home and get their next gen console experience (compared to the last), with the cloud they have to pay out the same amount of cash (in one way or another), they get a lag filled experience, no new physical box, a worse experience because of said lag and the new box experience is lost, they also have to now pay a monthly fee comparable to the price of their mobile phone bill, for the rest of the generation, along with buying games, with no physical ownership.

The reason PS Now is viable is because it's made for PS3 level gaming, it's not aiming to provide the current, let alone next gen experience. PS3's Cell & RSX, along with RAM is very cheap compared to PS4 or whatever PS5 will have.

A gradual upgrade doesn't work for the fully fledged implementation of the next gen platform. PS Now isn't providing PS3 gaming for all the people that want to play PS3 games, it's only being used by a few PS Now customers and isn't aiming to replace everything.

The math is quite simple really, for each user you need a processor, RAM and everything you needed for each console, plus bandwidth to connect to that person, the subscription model doesn't recoup all of the costs until at the least a year down the line from launch, which means Sony or whoever has incurred that cost for all of that time, with the physical hardware they've been paid for all of those consoles on launch day and now they're making money off of the software months before they'll make a dent in their debt from the cloud only system.

Another factor to think about is that people fear what they don't understand, most people won't get how this works, because it's way too complicated for the lay person.

The profit margin for PS Now doesn't relate to the profit margin for a next gen cloud based console, because Playstation Cloud uses far more expensive hardware from day one.

What do you mean by that? PSNow could stream high end PC games if Sony wanted it to.

I meant from a cost point of view, see I said "viable" ;) , this has to make Sony or any company that wants to do it money.

Technologically it's just a server, but PS Now uses PS3 technology, because it's cheap for them to make to build their server farms out of.

Of course Sony could make farms of GTX 980 i7 PCs for a modern high end NVidia style GRID network if they wanted, but it would be too costly and it's doubtful they've make their money back from such a huge investment.

JustBeingReal said:

I meant from a cost point of view, see I said "viable" ;) , this has to make Sony or any company that wants to do it money.

Technologically it's just a server, but PS Now uses PS3 technology, because it's cheap for them to make to build their server farms out of.

Of course Sony could make farms of GTX 980 i7 PCs for a modern high end NVidia style GRID network if they wanted, but it would be too costly and it's doubtful they've make their money back from such a huge investment.

Ok, fair enough. What I personally think Sony will do is invest as PSNow grows and creates its own profit. We're talking about an audience hundreds of times bigger than any console audience. I'd say in 2 - 3 years time we'll see a few older PS4 games launching on PSNow. This retains the selling power of PS4 games on disc/PSN and offers further incentive for the 'new' audiences who subscribe to PSNow through phones, pads, laptops, TVs or Blu-rays.

The PS5 Exists. 

Dusk said:
sabvre42 said:

Your cost estimates are horribly off. Servers use something called virtualization. You have one huge beast of a machine and split the system into virtual machines. PS4 is x86 which means you can literally use traditional servers instead of the customs used for ps3 emulation on PS Now.

That said you'd implement server farms in all the big metro areas to reduce ping.

Thank you. I couldn't seem to explaing that like you were so eloquently able to do. I was just so baffled.

Except it's not right.

So you're trying to argue against something you really don't quite understand?

It's simple, the servers cost a lot of money, they have to be paid for, the console model basically sells all of those machines on day one of launch and doesn't require a broadband network to allow people to play their games.

The cloud would basically take them months or longer to pay for the hardware in the servers.

Hence why I say it's not really economically viable as a sole solution for a console gaming platform. A supplementary system doesn't cost anywhere near as much and you still have the robust nature of a physical console sitting under your TV at home or wherever you game, plus you can use a tablet or phone to maybe game on as well, the physical console could also act as a part of a wider cloud network for Sony and other gamers.

Around the Network
Dusk said:

So now there's no reason to buy a PS3 and soon PS4? That is essentially the idea behind PSNow is it not?

Kind of like chopping off their own head.

Where is it even a good deal investing into a subscription anyways? This blueray player costs 80$, the ps4 controller yes they only let you use the ps4 one, costs 55$. Thats a 135$, a ps3 costs you 190-220$.

i would defeniatly choose the physical hardware and games over a stream, its really not that much more money and gives so much more benefits and saving you a lot of money in the long run. 

Ruler said:

Where is it even a good deal investing into a subscription anyways? This blueray player costs 80$, the ps4 controller yes they only let you use the ps4 one, costs 55$. Thats a 135$, a ps3 costs you 190-220$.

i would defeniatly choose the physical hardware and games over a stream, its really not that much more money and gives so much more benefits and saving you a lot of money in the long run. 

Because millions of people don't and never will buy a gaming console. They will however by a Blu-ray player.

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:
JustBeingReal said:

Ok, fair enough. What I personally think Sony will do is invest as PSNow grows and creates its own profit. We're talking about an audience hundreds of times bigger than any console audience. I'd say in 2 - 3 years time we'll see a few older PS4 games launching on PSNow. This retains the selling power of PS4 games on disc/PSN and offers further incentive for the 'new' audiences who subscribe to PSNow through phones, pads, laptops, TVs or Blu-rays.

I agree for the most part, except I don't think PS4 games will come to PS Now until PS5 releases, although I think with Sony using X86/PC Processing architecture PS4 games will probably run on PS5 natively, whether you use a disc or just transfer your downloaded game to your PS5, because the architecture probably won't prohibit that happening.

A wider Playstation ecosystem does seem like a great thing for Sony from a profit POV and a real reason why Playstation could become a bigger part of Sony as time goes on.

PS Now for legacy content, with everything from PS1, 2, 3, PSP and Vita running through that, as a subscription based system, would be very cheap in the future, especially compared to a system made to run only 9th gen games.

The premium 9th gen console experience will continue to be a physical piece of hardware, just like this gen, options are the future, not limiting people into only using the cloud for everything.

Having physical hardware out in the wild, connected to a router means that can actually do what remote play does now with vita and Sony smartphones, except Sony doesn't have to foot the bill for internet bandwidth and they still give gamers that flexibility on the move gaming experience.

sabvre42 said:
DialgaMarine said:

I have a sad feeling that dedicated home consoles aren't going to be around for much longer. Sony might eventually have to go a strictly digital route and make Playstation a 100% digital service.

That sounds great! I can't wait until consoles are all digital. If playstation goes all streaming (which won't be likely for like 10-15 years), it will become the new golden age of gaming. Publishers and developers will actually be able to earn revenue from every person that plays their games, allowing prices to drop, and allow for slightly better budgets.

The used game industry needs to die ... and hopefully die painfully.

Oh and btw, I am on my 2nd 3 month sub of PS Now. The service is GREAT.  My only complaint is playing on the vita.... Theres no ability to party chat, and the vita's wifi card blows chunks. PS Now over ethernet is flawless (PS4, and PSTV).

The used game industry is you and me....

JustBeingReal said:

I agree for the most part, except I don't think PS4 games will come to PS Now until PS5 releases, although I think with Sony using X86/PC Processing architecture PS4 games will probably run on PS5 natively, whether you use a disc or just transfer your downloaded game to your PS5, because the architecture probably won't prohibit that happening.

A wider Playstation ecosystem does seem like a great thing for Sony from a profit POV and a real reason why Playstation could become a bigger part of Sony as time goes on.

PS Now for legacy content, with everything from PS1, 2, 3, PSP and Vita running through that, as a subscription based system, would be very cheap in the future, especially compared to a system made to run only 9th gen games.

The premium 9th gen console experience will continue to be a physical piece of hardware, just like this gen, options are the future, not limiting people into only using the cloud for everything.

Having physical hardware out in the wild, connected to a router means that can actually do what remote play does now with vita and Sony smartphones, except Sony doesn't have to foot the bill for internet bandwidth and they still give gamers that flexibility on the move gaming experience.

I'd say we're more or less on the same page then. I think consoles and PSNow can happily coexist for many more years simply because they cater for two different audiences. The problem with understanding PSNow is that Sony are obviously using PS branded hardware to promote it at the moment but that's isn't the audience PSNow is ultimately for. It's for those people who would not buy a console but may try something if it was available to them through other devices.

The PS5 Exists.