By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Now is available on 2015 Sony Blu-ray Players

DialgaMarine said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

So I take it that you're also ok with Sony no longer making consoles and hardware 10 years from now? Because this is obviously the first steps towards being an Onlive-like, hardware agnostic company... ala Sega. 

I have a sad feeling that dedicated home consoles aren't going to be around for much longer. Sony might eventually have to go a strictly digital route and make Playstation a 100% digital service.

OMG, dedicated consoles aren't going anywhere anytime soon..... The network infrastructure of the world cant dream of doing it yet. I have a college degree in computer networking and most home networks in the world just cant handle it.

Around the Network
rolltide101x said:
DialgaMarine said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

So I take it that you're also ok with Sony no longer making consoles and hardware 10 years from now? Because this is obviously the first steps towards being an Onlive-like, hardware agnostic company... ala Sega. 

I have a sad feeling that dedicated home consoles aren't going to be around for much longer. Sony might eventually have to go a strictly digital route and make Playstation a 100% digital service.

OMG, dedicated consoles aren't going anywhere anytime soon..... The network infrastructure of the world cant dream of doing it yet. I have a college degree in computer networking and most home networks in the world just cant handle it.

What kind?

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Dusk said:
rolltide101x said:
DialgaMarine said:

What kind?

Most likely an associates. Networking doesn't have a BS in the US. It's also usually just a CCNA which is extremely entry level.

Anyways, people need to understand that it only really takes around 8-12mbps to cloud game, and probably around 18-20mbps for 1080@60.

Also, 10 years ago people still used 56k modems.... but services were still around requiring broadband.

Dusk said:
JustBeingReal said:

You seem to have no understanding that technology is not broken up in generations. It is an ever evolving thing. By me saying PSNow could be the 'next gen' it would not be the PS5 per se, but it would be the 'next gen'. There would be no direct release as it's already released and is already evolving, growing and expanding. 

Anyway, you don't seem to understand how much of this work, that's fine. I strongly urge you to do some research into it. However as far as this conversation is concerned, it's over. I'm moving on, I suggest you do as well. 

Nope it's the other way around, I understand all of this perfectly and am well versed in how all of this works, from the business/financial side, to the technological capabilities side. FYI no there are always going to be generations of technology, there's always a new generation of Processor, even in a cloud based environment, it is how it will always be.

Of course there would be a release date, because there's a moment where the technology is rolled out to the public, but this notion that there won't be any physical hardware in people's homes is a flawed one, because of the business/financial side being a very undesireable one.

You can't even deal with the points I made about just how much processing power is required to make a next gen cloud gaming system work for a few million people, as I said it's in the realms of 20-40TFlops per user, with at least 5 million X that available to the whole network, purely because network strain has to be accounted for. Minimum of 100,000 Petaflops processing power is required for this.

The next gen service would absolutely be "rolled out" on a particular, it's not out at this point, it would be PSNow 2.0 or PS Cloud and Sony would have to make it as capable a system as they can.

I suggest you actually learn about this stuff, I'm well researched on it thanks.

rolltide101x said:
DialgaMarine said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Exactly, you only have to look at how much processing power the current install base of PS4 has, 22-23 MIllion people, each with a 2TFlop machine, that's 44-46 Million Teraflops, all paid for as each customer "bought" their new console.

Each new Cloud customer would either be expected to pay out a monthly fee or an upfront fee and a monthly fee, they're not going to shell out $400 for their access to the cloud for life and then pay for the games, this service would die very quickly and there's not really any other way to make it work financially.

Nope the physical machine we have in our homes is going to be around for a very long time, probably a good few generations yet.

Around the Network
sabvre42 said:

Most likely an associates. Networking doesn't have a BS in the US. It's also usually just a CCNA which is extremely entry level.

Anyways, people need to understand that it only really takes around 8-12mbps to cloud game, and probably around 18-20mbps for 1080@60.

Also, 10 years ago people still used 56k modems.... but services were still around requiring broadband.

CCNA is not Entry Level.... That is the CCENT...... The CCNA is regarded as one of the more difficult tech certs to get. If you mean the CCNA is not the top then you are correct but to call CCNA "entry level" is an absolutely ridiculous statement. In fact Cisco reccommends you have at least 3 years of experience in the networking field before you even try to take it.

I have an Associate's Degree In Computer Networking btw.

HDMI does up do 18 GBit/s with virtually no lag you saying 12 mbps can do the same thing is absolutely hilarious and impossible

It takes WAAAAAY more than 12 mbps to do 1080p. Your home router setup probably could not even locally stream 1080p more than likely

rolltide101x said:
sabvre42 said:

CCNA is not Entry Level.... That is the CCENT...... The CCNA is regarded as one of the more difficult tech certs to get. If you mean the CCNA is not the top then you are correct but to call CCNA "entry level" is an absolutely ridiculous statement. In fact Cisco reccommends you have at least 3 years of experience in the networking field before you even try to take it.

I have an Associate's Degree In Computer Networking btw.

HDMI does up do 18 GBit/s with virtually no lag you saying 12 mbps can do the same thing is absolutely hilarious and impossible

It takes WAAAAAY more than 12 mbps to do 1080p. Your home router setup probably could not even locally stream 1080p more than likely

:-/.  No offense, but you seem fresh out of college. 

1080p doesn't even require HDMI. Composite cables were able to handle Full HD before HDMI replaced it (remember the original xbox360???). Also, netflix streams full HD (1080p) at around 10-12mbps. Vudu does it with 5.1 surround sound between 10-15mbps.

To go further, game streaming doesn't use buffering (usually a form of TCP) because you can't interrupt the gameplay. They instead use a form of UDP, and drop the resolution when bandwidth drops. They also (and you can see it on PS Now) use a form of caching and don't send the entire frame in its entireity. If sections of the frame do not change (background... HUD... etc) theres no point in streaming it (IE... a form of compression).

As for your router comment -- sure if people buy the shitty $50 routers from BB -- then yes... the processor might choke. It should be able to handle streaming 1080p just fine... but if there are multiple people streaming stuff within the house ... problems may occur.

However, routers are always improving... and if you get one like the AC Asus, it can handle 3x 1080p movie streams... or 2x movie streams and PS Now (720p) just fine. Example: Wife and daughter both streaming netflix... and myself playing FFXIII (which may actually stream @ 1080p) on PS Now.

PS: Thats on a 50mbps connection.

JustBeingReal said:
Dusk said:
JustBeingReal said:

You seem to have no understanding that technology is not broken up in generations. It is an ever evolving thing. By me saying PSNow could be the 'next gen' it would not be the PS5 per se, but it would be the 'next gen'. There would be no direct release as it's already released and is already evolving, growing and expanding. 

Anyway, you don't seem to understand how much of this work, that's fine. I strongly urge you to do some research into it. However as far as this conversation is concerned, it's over. I'm moving on, I suggest you do as well. 

Nope it's the other way around, I understand all of this perfectly and am well versed in how all of this works, from the business/financial side, to the technological capabilities side. FYI no there are always going to be generations of technology, there's always a new generation of Processor, even in a cloud based environment, it is how it will always be.

Of course there would be a release date, because there's a moment where the technology is rolled out to the public, but this notion that there won't be any physical hardware in people's homes is a flawed one, because of the business/financial side being a very undesireable one.

You can't even deal with the points I made about just how much processing power is required to make a next gen cloud gaming system work for a few million people, as I said it's in the realms of 20-40TFlops per user, with at least 5 million X that available to the whole network, purely because network strain has to be accounted for. Minimum of 100,000 Petaflops processing power is required for this.

The next gen service would absolutely be "rolled out" on a particular, it's not out at this point, it would be PSNow 2.0 or PS Cloud and Sony would have to make it as capable a system as they can.

I suggest you actually learn about this stuff, I'm well researched on it thanks.

Dude. You said, "Putting PS4 games on here would require servers with PS4 hardware, that means enough unified big memory storage and a tonne of PS4 APUs for the millions of people that end up using this. It's very expensive to do that right now, PS3 tech is cheap for Sony, hence why that's being used in their servers." That fundamentally shows that you don't have a good understanding on the subject. I and others have attemtped to make you aware that there is no need for direct PS4 hardware in these servers, the processors, the APU's or really any of it. All they require, and it's not a hard need to fit, is hardware that is more powerful than the PS4 because they will be runing multiple off of each server. In fact they could likely get away with less powerful hardware per application because it won't need to be rendered in 1080p if there is upscaling on the user end, and since PSNow is actually in the wild and working it can be guaranteed that they have found many work arounds for it, similar to how Netflix has figured out ways to supply 1080p videos to it's still growing 57+ million userbase. The PS4 is NOT a powerhouse in any way and it would not be hard to replicate it's processing abilities. Due to the nature of the cell processor, the PS3 would likely be much harder endeavour to take on because it will take either emulation or a direct API designed to convert the code into the form needed to run on the servers. These servers DO NOT have cell processors in them, that would be ridiculous. They are too expensive, with that said a high end server processor can be upwards of 20 grand, and do not even come close to the processing capabilities necessary for what is required in a server. 

Move on. This is the last reply you will get from on the subject. 

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Dusk said:
JustBeingReal said:
Dusk said:
JustBeingReal said:

Dude. You said, "Putting PS4 games on here would require servers with PS4 hardware, that means enough unified big memory storage and a tonne of PS4 APUs for the millions of people that end up using this. It's very expensive to do that right now, PS3 tech is cheap for Sony, hence why that's being used in their servers." That fundamentally shows that you don't have a good understanding on the subject. I and others have attemtped to make you aware that there is no need for direct PS4 hardware in these servers, the processors, the APU's or really any of it. All they require, and it's not a hard need to fit, is hardware that is more powerful than the PS4 because they will be runing multiple off of each server. In fact they could likely get away with less powerful hardware per application because it won't need to be rendered in 1080p if there is upscaling on the user end, and since PSNow is actually in the wild and working it can be guaranteed that they have found many work arounds for it, similar to how Netflix has figured out ways to supply 1080p videos to it's still growing 57+ million userbase. The PS4 is NOT a powerhouse in any way and it would not be hard to replicate it's processing abilities. Due to the nature of the cell processor, the PS3 would likely be much harder endeavour to take on because it will take either emulation or a direct API designed to convert the code into the form needed to run on the servers. These servers DO NOT have cell processors in them, that would be ridiculous. They are too expensive, with that said a high end server processor can be upwards of 20 grand, and do not even come close to the processing capabilities necessary for what is required in a server. 

So you think PS4 games would automatically run on a PC or any old X86 processor, just because PS4 uses X86 architecture? Interesting and you think you have a clue about this stuff, LOL.

PS4's games are optimized to run on PS4's semi-custom architecture, it has unique bus layout, it has a different approach to it's memory architecture compared to PC, so no it wouldn't just run on any old server, even with Virtualization, it would require a processor design made to accomodate PS4's games, the very way the code runs isn't exactly the same as any old PC, hence why developers can't just chuck their games straight on PS4 dev kits, they have to alter things to run on PS4, otherwise it simply won't work.

My whole point has been that the sheer amount of processing power just isn't available for what you claim would just be a matter of flicking a switch one day to make Playstation Cloud just run, it needs to be built for the purpose, from the ground up, to accomodate all users that Sony intends to market it too.

PSNow uses Playstation 3 Cell and RSX hardware, it's made for a small install base of people that want to play games that run on PS3, nothing else, except maybe running movies or music through those servers. It can't run PS4 games, because it's an entirely different architecture.

As for your comment on you and others supposedly educating me, it's you and one other user, most people commenting here have been saying the same things as me, because that's how it is, the technology to run a cloud based gaming system to handle all of Sony's processing needs for next gen, simply doesn't exist online, most of the users have a physical console, as in the eighty odd million PS3 owners and 22-23,000,000 PS4 owners, there isn't a server network made to run all of that processing power in the cloud.

As I've said multiple times the economics of this simply don't work well, a physical console is much more desireable business model, because of how quickly the company can actually make money on the product and also make money on the actual games.

As for the end of your post, I'll reply whenever I like thanks, as long as the mods let me do so, you're not in a position to give orders. If you choose to not reply again, so be it.

Dusk said:

I need to correct you -- PS Now DOES use cell processors. I'd have to search for the article again... but they custom built server racks using actual PS3 hardware (6 blades per rack if i recall correctly). They wanted to ensure compatability and experience between the PS3 and PS Now.

That said, the PS4 is essentially a computer. Emulating the PS4 is doable on scaleable server technology. They don't need actual PS4 hardware and can easily virtualize this.