By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Now is available on 2015 Sony Blu-ray Players

DialgaMarine said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

So I take it that you're also ok with Sony no longer making consoles and hardware 10 years from now? Because this is obviously the first steps towards being an Onlive-like, hardware agnostic company... ala Sega. 

I have a sad feeling that dedicated home consoles aren't going to be around for much longer. Sony might eventually have to go a strictly digital route and make Playstation a 100% digital service.

That sounds great! I can't wait until consoles are all digital. If playstation goes all streaming (which won't be likely for like 10-15 years), it will become the new golden age of gaming. Publishers and developers will actually be able to earn revenue from every person that plays their games, allowing prices to drop, and allow for slightly better budgets.

The used game industry needs to die ... and hopefully die painfully.

Oh and btw, I am on my 2nd 3 month sub of PS Now. The service is GREAT.  My only complaint is playing on the vita.... Theres no ability to party chat, and the vita's wifi card blows chunks. PS Now over ethernet is flawless (PS4, and PSTV).

Around the Network
sabvre42 said:
DialgaMarine said:

I have a sad feeling that dedicated home consoles aren't going to be around for much longer. Sony might eventually have to go a strictly digital route and make Playstation a 100% digital service.

That sounds great! I can't wait until consoles are all digital. If playstation goes all streaming (which won't be likely for like 10-15 years), it will become the new golden age of gaming. Publishers and developers will actually be able to earn revenue from every person that plays there games, allowing prices to drop, and allow for slightly better budgets.

The used game industry needs to die ... and hopefully die painfully.

Oh and btw, I am on my 2nd 3 month sub of PS Now. The service is GREAT.  My only complaint is playing on the vita.... Theres no ability to party chat, and the vita's wifi card blows chunks. PS Now over ethernet is flawless (PS4, and PSTV).

Unfortunately, I'm one of the many people who don't have the internet strength to justify getting the service, but I can imagine it's great. Consoles having a more Steam-like way of purchasing and playing games would be okay. We just need the internet connections to justify it. 

Although, I can't lie. I will be pretty sad if and when physical goes away. There's just something about having that disc in your possession that just makes you feel more secure about your purchase. 

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Dusk said:

So now there's no reason to buy a PS3 and soon PS4? That is essentially the idea behind PSNow is it not?

Kind of like chopping off their own head.

Not really, it's going to be an option for some people to use the PS3 and maybe PS1, 2 games through PS Now.

It has nothing to do with PS4 games yet and is very unlikely to get those while Sony wants to sell PS4 hardware, using PSNow for that would basically kill all of the confidence people have in PS4.

The fact you can make your comment "kind of like chopping off their own head" should tell you that PS4 won't be a part of this for a very long time, like until the next gen comes into reality.

The cloud isn't perfectly reliable, if your internet fails and you don't have local hardware to play those games or even a copy of those titles you use through the PSNow servers stored locally on your harddrive you can't play them when your internet goes offline.

Putting PS4 games on here would require servers with PS4 hardware, that means enough unified big memory storage and a tonne of PS4 APUs for the millions of people that end up using this. It's very expensive to do that right now, PS3 tech is cheap for Sony, hence why that's being used in their servers.

RolStoppable said:
Dusk said:

So now there's no reason to buy a PS3 and soon PS4? That is essentially the idea behind PSNow is it not?

You don't seem to understand that it's not in Sony's best interest to keep making dedicated hardware. The PlayStation consoles themselves are the biggest reason for the lack of or low profitability in gaming, so it shouldn't be surprising that Sony will move in a direction where they have to no longer take a loss on hardware.

I do understand that actually, but it seems a bit too soon with how well the PS4 is doing. It has shown and they have basically said in the past that they would like to go without consoles and just use the streaming service. As "JustBeingReal" said, they aren't doing PS4 games. Yet.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

JustBeingReal said:
Dusk said:

Not really, it's going to be an option for some people to use the PS3 and maybe PS1, 2 games through PS Now.

It has nothing to do with PS4 games yet and is very unlikely to get those while Sony wants to sell PS4 hardware, using PSNow for that would basically kill all of the confidence people have in PS4.

The fact you can make your comment "kind of like chopping off their own head" should tell you that PS4 won't be a part of this for a very long time, like until the next gen comes into reality.

The cloud isn't perfectly reliable, if your internet fails and you don't have local hardware to play those games or even a copy of those titles you use through the PSNow servers stored locally on your harddrive you can't play them when your internet goes offline.

Putting PS4 games on here would require servers with PS4 hardware, that means enough unified big memory storage and a tonne of PS4 APUs for the millions of people that end up using this. It's very expensive to do that right now, PS3 tech is cheap for Sony, hence why that's being used in their servers.

Around the Network

Please. Dedicated hardware is not going away anytime soon. If anything things might become more integrated, but there is no reason to believe we won't have physical hardware to support the all in one service they want for a very very long time.

PSNow is a legacy replacement - it's a way to cash in on backward compatibility while simultaneously reaching a broader audience. I'd like to see a shred of proof that even indicates they'll exclusively become a service as opposed to a platform driven first and foremost by the modern iteration of hardware.

DélioPT said:
The idea is good but i don't think it's going to take off.
PS3 games are still too fresh to be something worthy of investing money in. Had Sony offered PS1 and PS2 games... now that would be a different story!
Some people wouldn't mind reliving games from their childhood or youth; overall, a much better proposition.

Are people ready to stream games with the danger of delays and hiccups?
Hiccups in a movie... acceptable. There's no interaction.
In a game? It matters and i don't think that the majority of people have the broadband connection required to avoid that.

this is more geared towards people that never owned a PS3 and don't plan to buy one for a few games they were interested in

and I think most people have good enough bandwith for game streaming, the server capacity and connection stability are more or a concern

JustBeingReal said:
Dusk said:

PSNow probably is Sony's 'next gen'. Everything they have been doing for years has been pointing towards that. Why compete in a console war if it's not necessary? Most of the money is made off of software so if it's possible to take out the biggest cost why not do it? It would also allow them to not have to distribute games beyond supplying servers. 

These games do not require the exact specs of the PS4 in any way. There is nothing special about them. 

Dusk said:

Nah, once PS5 releases then they'll add PS4 games. Head still on, to play the latest, you still gotta buy their latest hardware.

Thanks jlmurph!

aLkaLiNE said:
Please. Dedicated hardware is not going away anytime soon. If anything things might become more integrated, but there is no reason to believe we won't have physical hardware to support the all in one service they want for a very very long time.

PSNow is a legacy replacement - it's a way to cash in on backward compatibility while simultaneously reaching a broader audience. I'd like to see a shred of proof that even indicates they'll exclusively become a service as opposed to a platform driven first and foremost by the modern iteration of hardware.

Well, the PS3 is still for sale and PSNow offers PS3 games. That right there could be a 'shred of proof' if you are willing to see it. It's all conjecture for now.