By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did Uplay/Origin requirement ever stopped you from buying a game?

Yes it did. Steam too.

So far I've yet to buy a game that uses Origin or Uplay, although the newer Far Cry games have tempted me a lot. Steam too has been an issue, and I generally refuse to pay much for games that require Steam.

Around the Network
vivster said:
thatguymarco said:
Yes. I'll never support DRM.

So you only buy games from GoG?

Seriously support GOG its, its a noble cause.

If a game comes out and its on GOG, i ll buy it there rather than any other place (even if its more expensive).

FragilE^ said:
It has never stopped me from buying a game, but it has certainly stopped me from PLAYING a game. Heroes 6 could be a nightmare, Uplay-servers were often unstable and if they lost connection (and it was only Uplay, no other game or service had problems) then the game would instantly quit to the main menu. There is an autosave every new day in heroes, but late game, doing 2-3 MAJOR battles that might take half an hour or more each, and then losing everything because their fucking servers are shit? That is disgusting...

Had the same problem with the same game, but wasn't there an option for offline mode? I think the only problem was that you couldn't use dynasty weapons, but other than that it worked, right?

If I want to play a game, I will play it. Clients don't really factor into my decision to purchase. Not sure what the big deal is, to be honest. Origin runs just as well as Steam. Never really dealt much with UPlay.

I don't know if this applies, but I was about to buy Splinter Cell Conviction physical PC copy when I saw closely on the box that the game needed a internet connection to work. Even if it was a game that wasn't available on the PS3, I never bothered with that hassle.

Around the Network
vivster said:
thatguymarco said:

I'm quite curious to see his answer... GoG should be the future, but it's highly unlikely.

vkaraujo said:

I know this is a PC problem, but i suspect everyone games on PC now and then.

So, I was talking to a friend some days ago, when Valiant Hearts was on Sale on Steam. He told me he didn't bought it because he didn't wanted to use Uplay in his PC (even buying it on Steam, you need Uplay to play it). I've actually took a similar decision last year, when i didn't got DA:I on PC because of Origin.

Was wondering if this was common. So did you ever got a game on a different system , or just outright avoided it because of Origin/Uplay, etc?

It doesn't exactly stop me completely but I have issues with Uplay because to me it's UI looks uglier than that of Stea,/Origin, they have social type ads via Facebook connectivity plastered on their client (Steam more or less has FB but via uploading your screenshots but even then it's a teeny tiny icon), the main issue I have with Uplay out of the 4 (soon to be 5) clients is that whenever I purchase a Ubisoft game on Steam and download it via steam's servers and then click play, it then pops up with Uplay is needed to launch the game, so I download Uplay and sign back into my U account, then suddenly it;s asking me to download the game again via Uplay and then I'm forced to download via their servers which are horribly slow and even then I still have to have Steam and Uplay open, if one of them isn't open my game stops working and that's more or less stopped me from playing Ubisoft games for quite a while now.

I know I have two mates of mine that really dislike Origin/Uplay due to brand recognition, they are both well aware of the crap EA and Ubisoft have pulled but honestly EA is starting to get better than Valve in terms of customer service and their client I find is more presentable, tidy and slightly easier to navigate, their customer service as it stands is leagues above Valve and ubisoft's and even then that doesn't matter to my friends because it's EA and Ubisoft and as such they've got this enclosed mindset where if it's not on Steam they won't buy it which I find is a stupid decision to force on yourself, sure Uplay is shit but at least you get rewarded via Uplay points, origin has better customer service and you get some games on the house for free and with GoG you get DRM free games and will soon get to use their new galaxy client to update your games and talk to friends.

As much as I dislike having to use multiple clients, I'm actually more or less slightly ok with it but I do realise it is becoming a bit of an issue for some since it's like console wars in terms of games being split from one place to another.

So to answer the end question, no I don't let multiple clients stop me from buying the games I want, except maybe Uplay but only slightly.

I will say though I do really love Battle.net for Blizzard having all their games into one neat place and just love the UI, they really could do with some Steam type sales, though they kinda do slightly with their Upcoming Heroes of the Storm.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Yes, i dont buy anymore ubisoft or EA on my pc... on console i do sometime like for dragon age, but i try avoid at max

vivster said:
thatguymarco said:

Well, let me specify, I'll never support any unecessary online connectivity in games that have a singleplayer option to them.

I'm now filled with determination.

I have neither on my PC

I also only have Steam because of Kickstarter and some Steam Key game donations I got (mainly from Paradox Interactive); I have never bought a game there.

I buy most of my games at GOG.com or directly at the developer and the rest at Gamersgate, both having no forced launcher (GOG has the Galaxy launcher, but that one is completly optional) and no additional DRM/Copy protection (although in the latter's case, I have to check if another programm is needed to lauch the game, but that costs me like 2 seconds to do)