By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox founder: PS4 wins the console war 'by a nose'

Tagged games:

Perhaps he is comparing PS4's LTD sales with X1's "almost shipped" numbers

Around the Network

Must be an Italian.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Yep, by hana-chan nose

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

SvennoJ said:

Fries said things could change with the upcoming release of virtual and augmented reality devices. Microsoft and Sony have taken different approaches in that emerging space and so that wildcard could still shake things up.

What is Microsoft developing for XBox One?
Project hololens still seems very much a prototype and, needing it's own onboard processors etc, likely won't be a mass consumer product anytime soon.

I doubt it will shake up anything though. Morpheus Is going to be $300 at least as well if not more.

That's highly doubtful, the components that make up a headmounted display aren't expensive enough to make that happen.

Hell even if Morpheus came with another PS4 APU & 2GBs of GDDR5 in a module that directly connects to Morpheus, to boost processing for VR it wouldn't be that expensive, worse case scenario about $200 for everything at launch, with extra processing and memory hardware.

We're literally talking about a Plastic frame for the panels, sensors and stuff to sit in, along with some soft foam (maybe memory foam) for comfort around the ears and the back & top of your head/neck.

The sensors envolved in this kind of thing only cost a few pounds/dollars at most.

2X 5.7inch 960X1080 OLED panels, those aren't expensive now, hell Vita's oled tech was like $50 in 2012, that's probably still the most expensive part in Morpheus and costs have come down, but tech has vastly improved since Vita came out.

The OLED panels, as in both of them probably don't cost more than $50 today, all in all I'd be surprised if each Morpheus headset cost more than $100 to make, so Sony could make a decent profit releasing at around $129, if they're fine breaking even then $99 is definitely doable, though they may take a hit on shipping and boxing each unit.

$99 would be the sweat spot with a unit that doesn't have extra processing hardware to boost the system, if Morpheus requires another "module", with an APU and RAM then $199 will be the launch price.

Shu has already said that Sony wants to make the headset as cheap as possible, to get the install base up from day one.

Expecting Morpheus to cost the same as PS4 will be when Morpheus comes out is ridiculous.

pokoko said:
"Companies like Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony and Sega spend gobs of money on developing the greatest technology, marketing, securing exclusive content agreements with game developers."

Sega is back in the console race, confirmed.

I would make a "Dreamcast 2 in production" thread, but it would be shoot down...

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Why to journalists/pundits always say that MS "bobbled" X1 launch? They didn't "bobble" it, they launched the X1 exactly as they intended to from the beginning: with DRM, forced Kinect, and a $500 price tag.  Of course, that turned out to be a massive miscalculation and a doomed business model so they had to backpedal on DRM, remove Kinect, and drop $150 off the price just to stay competitive in the US (they rest of the world is firmly in Sony's hands)

So, let's stop calling this a "bobbled" launch becasue it wasn't like MS failed to execute on their launch plan. They accomplished their launch plan perfectly - it's just that it was a sh!tty plan.

Personally I think PS4 is

the XBO

Lol "by a nose"

Man, that guy must have a big nose.

By a nose. You mean by a lie.