By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox founder: PS4 wins the console war 'by a nose'

Tagged games:

QUAKECore89 said:
By a nose. You mean by a lie.

Huh? I´m kind of drunk right now so maybe it´s obvious what you mean...but could you explain it for me?

Yup...RO friggin rocked  
Around the Network

The PS4 had the momentum from the very beginning. Microsoft has the ability to burn through cash to make something popular, but the Xbox One will NOT end near the PS4.

Right... "WAR" lol. Such garbage. It's a popularity content, not war...

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

I guess, "Globally in the US" is not just a VGChartz meme after all. lol! xD

Then again, I really do need the X1 to win the US... @_@

Around the Network
PxlStorm said:
Man, that guy must have a big nose.

By a nose? MS hasn't managed to top PS once, and 2 out of the 3 gens they competed Playstation buried Xbox.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

I like this one:

The PS5 Exists. 

JustBeingReal said:
SvennoJ said:

Fries said things could change with the upcoming release of virtual and augmented reality devices. Microsoft and Sony have taken different approaches in that emerging space and so that wildcard could still shake things up.

What is Microsoft developing for XBox One?
Project hololens still seems very much a prototype and, needing it's own onboard processors etc, likely won't be a mass consumer product anytime soon.

I doubt it will shake up anything though. Morpheus Is going to be $300 at least as well if not more.

That's highly doubtful, the components that make up a headmounted display aren't expensive enough to make that happen.

Hell even if Morpheus came with another PS4 APU & 2GBs of GDDR5 in a module that directly connects to Morpheus, to boost processing for VR it wouldn't be that expensive, worse case scenario about $200 for everything at launch, with extra processing and memory hardware.

We're literally talking about a Plastic frame for the panels, sensors and stuff to sit in, along with some soft foam (maybe memory foam) for comfort around the ears and the back & top of your head/neck.

The sensors envolved in this kind of thing only cost a few pounds/dollars at most.

2X 5.7inch 960X1080 OLED panels, those aren't expensive now, hell Vita's oled tech was like $50 in 2012, that's probably still the most expensive part in Morpheus and costs have come down, but tech has vastly improved since Vita came out.

The OLED panels, as in both of them probably don't cost more than $50 today, all in all I'd be surprised if each Morpheus headset cost more than $100 to make, so Sony could make a decent profit releasing at around $129, if they're fine breaking even then $99 is definitely doable, though they may take a hit on shipping and boxing each unit.

$99 would be the sweat spot with a unit that doesn't have extra processing hardware to boost the system, if Morpheus requires another "module", with an APU and RAM then $199 will be the launch price.

Shu has already said that Sony wants to make the headset as cheap as possible, to get the install base up from day one.

Expecting Morpheus to cost the same as PS4 will be when Morpheus comes out is ridiculous.

Maybe if they want to sell it at production cost.
With an new unknown product that's a gamble but maybe it will pay off.

The HMZ-T3 is still over $800, that has 2 separate 720p screens, Morpheus will share one for both eyes. (960x1080 per eye)
Add sensors and a lot of R&D that needs to be paid for as well and releasing around $129 seems suicide.
It might get to that price in a few years, you don't start a hot new product at bottom price level.
Kinect could have been $60 at launch to break even with production costs in 2010, it still isn't.

If he is referring to the US, its really a shame. The reason why Sony got COD and BF3 marketing is because they are basically propping up the entire console industry; worldwide. publishers want to reach the greatest audience and Sony has that.