By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Cognitive dissonance: Wii U won't reach 25 million, but PS3 will reach Wii lifetime.

sc94597 said:

3. The converse is also true. If you believe Wii U will reach 25 million, then you must also believe the PS3 will reach Wii sales. This is unless you think PS3 sales will drop off heavily, which they shouldn't since the PS3 is still getting new releases and has room for another price-cut, or that Wii U sales will improve greatly while PS3 sales will remain the same. 

*The exception to this is if you believe the PS3 will exceed the sales of the Wii U or will outlive it. If you believe this, then please substantiate such a belief in this thread, if you want to. 

< In my opinion, neither of these things will happen. Wii U won't reach 25 million, and PS3 won't reach Wii sales.>

I'd rather say the PS3 sales will continue to go down slowly instead of staying about the same as the Wii U. Every console will go down with time after it's sucessor got released. Even if the Wii U sales won't increase, it will outsell the PS3 on regular basis and with a growing difference as the time goes by.

Also, why do you think the PS3 would outlive the Wii U? The contrary is much more of a possibility since the PS4 is already out and thus the PS3 already on it's way out. The Wii U, not so much

Around the Network

Very confident neither will happen, sadly for both platforms

Bofferbrauer said:

Also, why do you think the PS3 would outlive the Wii U? The contrary is much more of a possibility since the PS4 is already out and thus the PS3 already on it's way out. The Wii U, not so much

I don't think it will outlive the Wii U. I think they'll die around the same time.  

Kyuu said:
I didn't know there were still people out there thinking the PS3 could outsell the Wii.

I used to be one myself because I assumed Sony can cut the price down to the $160 range. But it's too late to do anything now. They've repeated the same mistake they made with the PS2 at its last stages (Yes, the PS2 had the potential to sell over 165 million but they dropped the price to $99 at a very late stage) but then again, Sony is more about profits today than ever before.

I highly doubt either will happen but like you I used to believe that PS3 could reach 100 mill.

With all this focus on digital and streaming (Netflix, HBO Go, PS Now, PS Vue, etc.) I thought Sony might put out a new and cheap PS3 without blu-ray drive that would look like the perfect companion for the PS4 (like MS did with Xbox 360). Maybe they could even design it as an extension to PS4 so that the 2 consoles shared the PS4's cpu and gpu and PS3's cpu (CELL) and in this way be able to ditch the expensive NVIDIA gpu as well and sell a 250GB PS3 for $99.

Though in order to reach 100 mill they would have to sell a lot of consoles in emerging markets and here the PS3 would have to come with a blu-ray drive and a gpu because of poor internet speeds (excessive download times) and because of few PS4 owners (no gpu sharing).

So because of the expensive PS3 parts (blu-ray drive, NVIDIA gpu and CELL cpu) and because of Sony's position (their actions need to be profitable) I don't think any of this will be possible at all.

Initially I thought Wii U wouldn't have any trouble selling 25 mill coming from Wii success and caterering to the tablet-loving-casuals.

I think many people thought the x360 would die off sooner and that the PS3 would be the only 7th gen still alive by now. Also X360 has stayed pretty popular later in it's lifecycle while most expected PS3 to start dominating in that period. This caused PS3 to sell less.

If x360 hadn't remained competitive for so long ps3 might have passed 100 million. Now it will likely end up just over 90 million.

Wii-U is already dar behind Gamecube and that barely even made it passed 20 million, so no Wii-U will not sell 25 million.

Around the Network

wii u reach 25 is highly unlikely
ps3 reach wii sales is impossible

ps3 shipments are between 83.4 - 86.7m units as of end 2014 (above 85m for sure imho, to be fair)
ps3 shipments calender year 2014 were 3.3m
ps3 shipments last holiday quarter were just 1.1m

q1 2015 ps3 shipments will proably be in the 300-600k range

the ps3 will be the fist playsation console without legs, due to the bad pricepoint, the more than great succesor and some other suff

Both will not happen, but Wii U to sell 25,000,000 lifetime is waaaaaaaaaaaay more probabily.
PS3 is destiny to be down all years by now, no contest.
We don't know if 2014 was the Wii U peak, but of course, Wii U will increase the gap between PS3 this year.
So, please... just accept that PS3 will never break the Wii numbers, we don't even know if will outsell the XB360 lol.

BraLoD said:

And I was expecting 30M to the Wii U.

So, you still predict Wii U at 30,000,000 lifetime?

If this is your actuallt prediction, ok, PS3 can outsell the Wii... if not, just, tell me why you think that PS3 will sell more than Wii U by now.

LipeJJ said:
Neither will happen.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
FloatingWaffles said:
I feel like 20 million will be sort of decent if the Wii U can end at that.

Not even. If the Wii U sells  17 million by the time the next console drops i'd be surprised. This console is  definitely going to be the worst selling Nintendo console of all time.

+1.  People need to realize that the Wii U reaching even 20m would be a miracle.  Hell I wouldn't say it is out of the realm of possibility that it falls short of 15m.