By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Cognitive dissonance: Wii U won't reach 25 million, but PS3 will reach Wii lifetime.

I'm with Kapi, neither will happen.

Around the Network

Yeah neither will happen. PS3 should top out at 90-95m, and the Wii U will sell 15-18m.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

I made this exact point months ago and was ignored. Thank you.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

All depends if Sony FINALLY cuts PS3 price in a significant manner. Nobody wants that 12gb and it should be no more than $150. This should be their string of price cuts come Gamescom in prep for the Fall selling season.

PS3
-$150 (12gb)
-$200 (250gb)
-$250 (500gb)

PS4
-$300 (500gb)
-$350 (1tb)

The highest price PS3 has to be lower than the lowest priced PS4 and the lowest model should be half the price of PS4.  Otherwise they're just intentionally hurting PS3 sales to push PS4 which would be unfortunate as both can sell congruently if they price accordingly.

I am Iron Man

BraLoD said:
They are two total different system selling to two total different audiences, they don't need to follow the same path at all, thus someone may believe in one of the two statements and not other.

PS3 still have a whole market to keep on selling as a second class gaming system to people with less money living mostly in less developed countries, just like mine. Is up to Sony to cut the price and keep producting it for some years and it can reach the Wii. Also the brand is famous for keep good sales after the new system cones.

Wii U is a system with almost no,appeal to people other the ones already insterested on it, it still has games to make it move but the current talk by it's fans are already on the new system (NX). It simply won't have legs, and it just doesn't show any signs of sales growing to a level where that sales total can be achieved.

So all in all, both are hard tasks, but I can see the PS3 with more chance to do it.

And I was expecting 30M to the Wii U.

So you think the PS3 will have a longer life-span than the PS2? The PS2 lived from 2000 until 2013. The PS3 would have to live until 2019 to have the same life-span. By that time the PS5 should be out, and the PS4 should have priced the PS3 out of the market. If the PS3 sold an average of 3.5 million/year for the next four years it would still only sell 14 million life-time, falling 1.6 million short of Wii. 

Do you think PS3's sales can increase? Why exactly?

Around the Network

PS3 will NEVER reach Wii numbers. Never

edit because I forgot: I don't think someone believe that PS3 somehow will sell Wii numbers in the end

Click HERE and be happy 

PS3 sold 3.4 million from this week to a year ago. Sales are less than half of what they were a year ago. It has 16 million to go. No way.
Wii U getting to 25 million is just as unlikely. It's selling on par with PS3 right now and there isn't anything to make sales increase by a huge amount. This could be the peak year, or maybe last year but it doesn't matter it's not gonna be close.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

PS3 will die soon
You guys mark my words

NNID : ShenlongDK
PSN : DarkLong213
BraLoD said:
sc94597 said:

So you think the PS3 will have a longer life-span than the PS2? The PS2 lived from 2000 until 2013. The PS3 would have to live until 2019 to have the same life-span. By that time the PS5 should be out, and the PS4 should have priced the PS3 out of the market. If the PS3 sold an average of 3.5 million/year for the next four years it would still only sell 14 million life-time, falling 1.6 million short of Wii. 

Do you think PS3's sales can increase? Why exactly?

It's definitely more likely to me than the Wii U increase sales to a point where it reach 25M.

I expect the PS3 to keep sales for a good while, with sone spikes of increase with price cuts, as one should happen this E3.

Well the Wii U has the advantage of not being as saturated in the standard markets (Wii U is experiencing YoY growth for 2015, while the PS3 is experiencing YoY decline for 2015), and like the PS3, has opportunities for many more price-cuts. Plus it's not a 10 year old console.  I don't think it will reach 25 million, but the same arguments you have for the PS3 having a chance also apply to Wii U. They both are selling at almost the same numbers right now, and they both have the same gap to close to reach these objectives. The Wii U's sales are increasing (for how long - we don't know), while the PS3's are decreasing. So unless you think the PS3 will live significantly longer than the Wii U and also maintain its current sales level for four more years, at least, it's just as improbable. 

BraLoD said:
sc94597 said:

Well the Wii U has the advantage of not being as saturated in the standard markets (Wii U is experiencing YoY growth for 2015, while the PS3 is experiencing YoY decline for 2015), and like the PS3, has opportunities for many more price-cuts. Plus it's not a 10 year old console.  I don't think it will reach 25 million, but the same arguments you have for the PS3 having a chance also apply to Wii U. They both are selling at almost the same numbers right now, and they both have the same gap to close to reach these objectives. The Wii U's sales are increasing (for how long - we don't know), while the PS3's are decreasing. So unless you think the PS3 will live significantly longer than the Wii U and also maintain its current sales level for four more years, at least, it's just as improbable. 

That's the point, the PS3 even as old as it is still seems like will die after the Wii U.

The Wii U simply doesn't have the appeal to survive after the next system arives, what can be even next year (2017 most likely), while the PS3 can still be a good machibe to people with less money willing to get one. Don't be surprised if the PS3 actually sells more than the Wii U this year and/or the next. It probably did last year already, as VGChartz was constantly having it over it actual shipments if I recall it right, and with the PS4 beasting and preventing significant exclusive games to it while the Wii U had two of its most heavy hitters with MK and SSB.

The thing is: why would people buy the PS3 in 2018 when they can likely spend not so much  more and get a PS4 (by then the PS4 should be like $200 - $250 and the PS3 like $100-150 depending on model) and the PS5 will likely be coming within a year after that? I just don't see it selling 3.5 million. The Wii U should sell similar to the PS3 at least a year after the next Nintendo console releases (maybe something like a million), as it will be at the ripe price of $150 and people will buy it for the few exclusives they want on it. It isn't like the Wii in that there are 100 million around so playing the few good exclusives you want to is a piece of cake because somebody in your list of family and friends has one you can borrow. The only thing that would kill the Wii U at that point is Nintendo. 

I just don't see the PS3 dieing much longer after the Wii U, and I see its sales declining much faster as they have been since the PS4's release.