By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sakurai calls DLCs these days a scam

I guess a small thing being overlooked here is that, there are man hours and developement time put into programming and optimizing these added characters. They are also ones that were heavily requested BY THE FANS. People actually WANTED Mewtwo back. Of course, "Nintendo isn't doing it for the fans, they're doing it for easy cash". Perhaps. But hey, it's making people happy isn't it? I certainly enjoy playing as Mewtwo a ton even when I wasn't one of the people clammoring for him to return. I especially like using Disable and following with the "point-at-the-ground" down smash. The impact is so satisfying.

Key word: Satisfying

In the end, the value of DLC is all up to how much one actually enjoys the added content. If you really don't care about it, don't get it. This is in regards to DLC made specifically after a complete game is made, by the way. You are pretty much forced to get it with a game like, mentioned before, Dead Space 3 and such. Which is the wrong way to do it.

In general though, DLC is just tricky. There are people who will think it's reaching directly into our pockets and stealing the extra $20 from us no matter what way you explain it. It's like trying to stick your d**k through a Cheerio.

Around the Network
Livewire said:
dlc is here to stay, he has to get used to it

Ummm... I dont think he said DLC should be gone bro :0

teigaga said:
Materia-Blade said:

It's an obvious bonus to amiibo owners. that's definetely not dlc and, most importantly, isn't essential. the game remains complete at launch.

Bonus to amiibo owners = $10 DLC to non Amiibo owners. If not downloadable content its on disc content that is blocked from users until they throw cash on various toys which is even worse tbh. 

It may not be essential content but its still a pretty gross model and is the exact mindset behind the exploitation of DLC. Something ready at launch being exclusive to those who have paid a premium.

If you are completely averse to Amiibo, but compelled towards all of their bonuses, they can always be resold.

To unlock most of their bonuses, you could even just borrow one.

Couldn't agree more. Developers can release whatever the heck they want as long as I get a 100% complete game without paying for a single DLC. I might cry like a little girl if I want that DLC and it's ridiculously overpriced, or if the DLC is too damn dumb to be allowed to exist, but I won't start sending angry letters as long as I have my non-gimped game.

Not all DLC is bad. FROM Software has proved that with Dark Souls 1 and 2.

Around the Network

This guy is in serious need of retirement

sundin13 said:

Many of you are reading the title as Sakurai's words. They aren't. Sakurai isn't claiming all DLC is a scam, and thinking that he is is rather ridiculous. He is quite obviously talking about a specific type of DLC...

pokoko said:

Actually, that you seem willing to ignore all the previous complaining is the curious thing.  If you want to pretend that it never happened, then be my guest.  On top of that, though obviously we are talking about Nintendo fans in this instance, I've never said they have any kind of copyright on hipocrisy.  What I'm talking about is fans being against something until it comes home to them, which is something that has visited ALL the factions.

I still find that to be an incredibly silly complaint.

For one, video games as a whole harbored largely negative views of DLC for a long time, and many still hold those views (both Nintendo fans and non-Nintendo fans alike). The fact that some Nintendo fans don't have a problem with all DLC isn't exactly radical or fanboyish thinking.

Secondly, people change their minds. Logically, it makes all the sense in the world for those who primarily play on Nintendo consoles to have been against DLC practices. For years, livid complaining was present in the media and fanbases and we really had nothing but that to base our perceptions of DLC on. Then, Nintendo started bringing DLC to some of their games, and many were and some still are against that, and people started seeing DLC that wasn't negatively affecting games.

There have been numerous people outside of the Nintendo fanbase who have given Nintendo props for doing DLC right in most cases (not to say their handling of it has always been perfect). What you are seeing is people changing their mind. That is not hypocrisy. Now, if you see someone posting in one thread that Nintendo DLC is always perfect and in another they say that another DLC is terrible out of principle, that would be hypocrisy, however, that mostly occurs on within individuals and not fanbases and that sort of generalization does nothing to help the conversation.

We all know who the guys that think a certain pratice from one company is good and from others are bad are...

And yes, most DLC are useless, some are good but pricey, others are very good. But in the case of the SSBU DLC I won't say they are good because they are just extra chars and they are somewhat expensive... but since the game is complete without them I have no problem... as I haven't had problems with any game I have bought that have several DLCs.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

generic-user-1 said:
alternine said:
DolPhanTendo said:

Well that is what Sakurai is talking about you either missed his point or didn't read his story. Him and Iwata have been stating this a lot the past six months. 

That is probably the reason third party support has been minimal at best for the WiiU because third parties are starting to go this way and NINTENDO is trying to warn everyone. See Destiny as a prime example and EA. Nintendo is looking out for parents and kids not 22 year olds who have no responsibility so they can blow there money on anything. As a parent of two kids I appreciate that maybe someday you will too

Lol yes Nintendo cares about everyone and has their best interest in heart.

Lord have mercy...

-quote tree snip-

Carl

they dont care about a quick buck, but they still care about money, they just plan for decades to come. if they fuck over costumers today, those costumers will not buy a nintendo console for their kids in 20 years.  its a different way of doing buisness.

Guess they haven't done a good job on home console seeing the continued decline of their consoles and how much of a drop Wii to WiiU had... and Sony/MS must be really screwing their customers on the same reason.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

The_Yoda said:
potato_hamster said:
DolPhanTendo said:

Well that is what Sakurai is talking about you either missed his point or didn't read his story. Him and Iwata have been stating this a lot the past six months. 

That is probably the reason third party support has been minimal at best for the WiiU because third parties are starting to go this way and NINTENDO is trying to warn everyone. See Destiny as a prime example and EA. Nintendo is looking out for parents and kids not 22 year olds who have no responsibility so they can blow there money on anything. As a parent of two kids I appreciate that maybe someday you will too

I think if my eyes rolled back any further my retinas would detatch. Are you for real?

So because I disagree with you, I can't be a parent, or have responsibilites? Have you considered the possibility that I am older than you, and do in fact have children of my own? I have no idea whether or not  I am older than you, but I do have a family of my own. So there's that. I "blow my money" on things like a mortgage, RRSPs, car payments, and taking care of my family, and all of those other non-responsibilities I have, but thanks for playing.

Nintendo is looking out for the best interests of children by not offering Day-one DLC, or special DLC to finish the game properly (that is, until they do such things or allow other publsihers to do such things on their platforms, right?) Give me a break. Nintendo doesn't care about you and your family any more or less than Sony or Microsoft does.

Maybe I'm wrong but Nintendo does seem to care about families more so than the other companies.  I'm not saying they aren't out to make a buck, they certainty are. Many of their decisions seem to revolve around making things acceptable for all ages. I think that is why they produce mostly E rated games.  I am kind of on the fence about this, part of me want's to say piss-off put party chat in your game and let me decide if i will allow my children to use it.  The other part of me thinks well good for them for trying to put decency in front of profits.

They don't take care of families or your best interest... they only aim families to make money and likely warranty that you may buy a nintendo game with cartooney looks without worry (because you know that for the other type of graphics Nintendo have some mature games).

DolPhanTendo said:
potato_hamster said:
DolPhanTendo said:

Let me agree with you on your last paragraph because you are 100 percent accurate on that. If you do not see worth in game,like me with FPS, than there is no need to waste money on it that is your opinion and should be respected.

Your first argument is absolute wrong though,DLC is DLC, here is why. DLC is only reasonable for games like CoD, Battlefield, MarioKart, Smash, etc. Games with online multiplayer to keep gameplay fresh, I get that. However; buying a fucking 60 dollar game to find out you need a special DLC pack to properly finish the game is horseshit and greed based idea and you know it. This is why AAA third parties should not have control making video games or more and more of this shady shit will happen. So just because Nintendo says this now everyone who has problem with Nintendo now thinks it is okay to pay 60 dollar game that is unfinished? I do not see how blind hate can make people think being screwed is okay

". So just because Nintendo says this now everyone who has problem with Nintendo now thinks it is okay to pay 60 dollar game that is unfinished?" What? I never said anything like this ever.

You're taking some leaps here based on flawed logic. I never said all DLC is acceptable. And, you're acting like the DLC you're describing (which is atrocious and dispicable) is common. It simply isn't. Games where you need to buy DLC to properly finish the game can be counted on one hand.

So because literally a handful of games have done such DLC garbage, all third parties should not have control over the games they make? What?

you are incorrect

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!