By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sakurai calls DLCs these days a scam

potato_hamster said:
DolPhanTendo said:

I think if my eyes rolled back any further my retinas would detatch. Are you for real?

So because I disagree with you, I can't be a parent, or have responsibilites? Have you considered the possibility that I am older than you, and do in fact have children of my own? I have no idea whether or not  I am older than you, but I do have a family of my own. So there's that. I "blow my money" on things like a mortgage, RRSPs, car payments, and taking care of my family, and all of those other non-responsibilities I have, but thanks for playing.

Nintendo is looking out for the best interests of children by not offering Day-one DLC, or special DLC to finish the game properly (that is, until they do such things or allow other publsihers to do such things on their platforms, right?) Give me a break. Nintendo doesn't care about you and your family any more or less than Sony or Microsoft does.

Let me start off by apologizing,if you are telling truth. If you say these things then why so adamant about bashing Nintendo you think a man with a family would at least have respect for the company and understand what they are doing. You do have to buy the product do to preference but you think you wouldn't go out of your way to just discredit anything someone says. 

I do believe people are good for the most part and will not set aside morals for few dollars, things Nintendo does. I also believe they are the minority of those that will do anything money because that is all they can. Which how some AAA third parties are? So with these beliefs I feel Nintendo is a business, for the most part, with moral concepts.  They do not care about being number one every generation,being in evey fucking household like the other two companies seem to only care about. Just sticking to what makes them Nintendo. Shit their first console is called FamiCom as Family Computer, see it says Family. Go to their damn website and click on the WiiU page and there it is again Family Fun for unbeatable price did you see it it says family. 

Just because you rather play other games doesn't mean Nintendo needs to grow up like you did so they can push aside making family fun games. And before anyone brings up mature games on the consoles. They also know that my generation is the first generation to grow up with a console in their home so allowing me to enjoy a game while my kids are asleep is no  problem too. 

I'm just sick of all the fucking trolls no matter what Nintendo does or says people who can not respect or understands another's way of doing business by putting in moral ground once awhile is wrong. 

Just go play your favorite console or PC and stop the hate 

Well see here's where you and I differ. You geninely believe Nintendo has your family's best interest at heart. Based on my experience working with them to develop games for the Wii, DS, and 3DS, I have to disagree. However, Nintendo is first and foremost out there to make money. Period.

Nintendo is super super strict on the image they portray, this is true, but that's not always been the case, and you don't have to look too far back. Nintendo made a play very early in the life of the Wii-U to get the attention of "more mature" audiences. I remember when I bought my kid to the video game store, and they saw the Zombi-U bundle. They had themselves a good cry from the image of the zombie guard. They had no interest in anything to do with the Wii U after that. The christmas list changed from Wii U to PS4, which suited me just fine. Unfortunately for Nintendo, the play backfired. they've shown that the "more hardcore demographic" has all but abandoned them based on the sales of Zombi-U, Watch Dogs, and Bayonetta 2 amongst others. Third party research has shown that practically the only people who buy the Wii U are families, and hardcore Nintendo fans. That's the main reason why you don't see "Wii-U" on the list of Nintendo platforms I've worked on. There's practially no money in it if you're not making family oriented games with Nintendo signing your pay checks.

I'm not sure where you get off posting that I'm some sort of anti-Nintendo troll that wants Nintendo to change. I've said nothing of the sort. My main point has been this since the beginning: Nintendo is no better or worse than Sony or Microsoft. They aren't more moral. They aren't more ethical. All three of the console manufacurers are out there to make money. Sony and MS are more concerns with getting their consoles in as many homes as possible, and Nintendo targets families for its sales. It's two sides of the same coin. Most of what I've done is here point out the hypocrisy of Nintendo-apoligists that are very quick to bash the likes of EA and Activision for one thing, and just as quick to defend Nintendo when Nintendo goes and does more or less the exact same thing. That's it. My problem with Nintendo is not with the company. Nintendo is going to do its own thing and be successful for a long time. My biggest problem is its with its most hardcore fans who constantly project an image of believing that Nitnendo does almost nothing wrong, its competitors do almost nothing as well as Nintendo does, and that Nintendo deserves more respect than any other video game company. 

That's simply is not the case.

They are no better. they are no worse.

you can make money without beeing anticonsumer.  sure nintendo likes making money, but they do it on a costumerfriendly base.

and tehy have a heavy focus on quality, its like comparing ford and toyota to benz...

Around the Network

It seems Sakurai also shares the thought that DLC is only good when it's for a game you like.

.- -... -.-. -..

teigaga said:

Isn't Splatoon and Yoshi launching with day one DLC that can only be unlocked by purchasing $10 amiibo's?

Sakurai isn't an employee of Nintendo.

And I hardly would call the Yoshi thing day one DLC that costs €10 lol... Hate to break it to you, but people buy those things for the figurines/stuffed animals (in the case of Yoshi). The Yoshi amiibo also works in other games like Mario Party 10 and Super Smash Bros. Wii U. And I'm sure it will be used in future games as well.

As for what the Yoshi amiibo unlocks in Yoshi's Woolly World: a copy of Yoshi in the singleplayer campaign, so it doesn't feel like you're playing alone (according to Nintendo). Yeah, I so can't enjoy Yoshi's Woolly World without buying this amiibo! Nintendo are dirty thieves! ;(

Screamapillar said:
Really disappointing to see so many negative remarks about the mere existence of paid downloadable content.

You can argue about whether something should be included in the main game if it's already finished, or whether the game should be delayed to include all aspects that would otherwise be released later as DLC.

I agree with Sakurai. I think that DLC that is mostly finished and/or in full production before a game is released is total bullshit. That's part of the game, that ought to be included. It's just a grab for more money beyond the core $60. Sakurai's right, too, that games are less expensive to purchase now than before, relative to cost of production and inflation, and yet the budgets required to complete the games is far beyond what it was two generations ago. A lot of game publishers have decided to piece-meal release their games by charging extra for things that could have been included in the release version.

Sakurai's DLC for Smash Bros, and DLC for first-party Nintendo games, is different, though. Production and planning for it begins after production on the game is finished. It's not planned for before the game is done. It's merely additive. I see nothing wrong with supporting a great game with additional content post-release, as long as it's honest.

It seems like a lot of people here are blurring the lines between honest, genuine DLC, and DLC that was removed from a fuller version of game, simply to make an extra dime.

To all of those people, I ask you: You would rather that MewTwo not be made, you would rather that there be no additional courses for Mario Kart 8 developed post-release, and you would rather that nothing be developed for any game, simply because the game has been released. Please explain to me the logic behind that. It makes no sense to me.

@bold They should've included him in the first place if their only intention of adding him is because of the fan request. The demand for Mewtwo goes all the way back from Brawl.

Currently playing

IOS - Knights of the Old Republic, Monster Hunter Freedom HD and Idolmaster Festa.

Steam-NovisNoah, Uplay-Limpanot, Origins-NovisNoah, PSN-NovisNoah, NNID-NovisNoah

The most popular and successful Smash ever released was Melee and it had ZERO DLC.

End of discussion.

Around the Network
WorldBreakerHulk said:
Screamapillar said:
Really disappointing to see so many negative remarks about the mere existence of paid downloadable content.

You can argue about whether something should be included in the main game if it's already finished, or whether the game should be delayed to include all aspects that would otherwise be released later as DLC.

I agree with Sakurai. I think that DLC that is mostly finished and/or in full production before a game is released is total bullshit. That's part of the game, that ought to be included. It's just a grab for more money beyond the core $60. Sakurai's right, too, that games are less expensive to purchase now than before, relative to cost of production and inflation, and yet the budgets required to complete the games is far beyond what it was two generations ago. A lot of game publishers have decided to piece-meal release their games by charging extra for things that could have been included in the release version.

Sakurai's DLC for Smash Bros, and DLC for first-party Nintendo games, is different, though. Production and planning for it begins after production on the game is finished. It's not planned for before the game is done. It's merely additive. I see nothing wrong with supporting a great game with additional content post-release, as long as it's honest.

It seems like a lot of people here are blurring the lines between honest, genuine DLC, and DLC that was removed from a fuller version of game, simply to make an extra dime.

To all of those people, I ask you: You would rather that MewTwo not be made, you would rather that there be no additional courses for Mario Kart 8 developed post-release, and you would rather that nothing be developed for any game, simply because the game has been released. Please explain to me the logic behind that. It makes no sense to me.

@bold They should've included him in the first place if their only intention of adding him is because of the fan request. The demand for Mewtwo goes all the way back from Brawl.

That doesn't mean anything.  Mewtwo was only made and considered as a additive piece of content for the game, after it was completed.  So again, I ask you: you would rather that MewTwo not be made, than purchase a piece of content planned and developed only after the game was completed.  You're saying that making more things, things that people want, is a bad thing.  That is nonsense to me. 

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

Screamapillar said:
WorldBreakerHulk said:
Screamapillar said:

That doesn't mean anything.  Mewtwo was only made and considered as a additive piece of content for the game, after it was completed.  So again, I ask you: you would rather that MewTwo not be made, than purchase a piece of content planned and developed only after the game was completed.  You're saying that making more things, things that people want, is a bad thing.  That is nonsense to me. 

How did you know that mewtwo was only planned after the game was already completed?

Currently playing

IOS - Knights of the Old Republic, Monster Hunter Freedom HD and Idolmaster Festa.

Steam-NovisNoah, Uplay-Limpanot, Origins-NovisNoah, PSN-NovisNoah, NNID-NovisNoah

WorldBreakerHulk said:
Screamapillar said:
WorldBreakerHulk said:
Screamapillar said:

How did you know that mewtwo was only planned after the game was already completed?

Because it wasn't in the game.  Because it took five months after the game came out for MewTwo to be finished, because they announced they had begun work on it in November last year, AFTER the game had already been released.  Because, as Sakurai has stated, it's a smaller team that was brough together after the main game was completed, to continue to make new content for the game, to support the game post-release.  A concept that a lot of people here seem to confuse with withholding content from a game prior to release.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

It is truly shocking to me, to see how many people here would rather have no MewTwo, than MewTwo. When those are your only two options, some of you would rather not have it at all. I don't understand that attitude on any level.

Nintendo is giving you MORE things, Things they don't have to give you at all. They're making things they normally would hold for another game in the series, but instead they're making them for you right now.  It's totally unprecedented in the history of the company.  People should be thrilled, not enraged.

Screamapillar said:
WorldBreakerHulk said:

Because it wasn't in the game.  Because it took five months after the game came out for MewTwo to be finished, because they announced they had begun work on it in November last year, AFTER the game had already been released.  Because, as Sakurai has stated, it's a smaller team that was brough together after the main game was completed, to continue to make new content for the game, to support the game post-release.  A concept that a lot of people here seem to confuse with withholding content from a game prior to release.

Because thay said so? I wonder if your going to believe it if lets say capcom didn't include one of the most sought after character then release it as a paid dlc a couple of months later...

Currently playing