By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sakurai calls DLCs these days a scam

Goodnightmoon said:

We are talking about one of the most complete fighting games ever done. 54 fighters is an epic number. 

That would be MUGEN. (which is free, too) As it currently has 2307 fighters to choose from.

http://mugen.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Characters

Around the Network
pokoko said:

What you're saying "isn't considered an issue at all" had plenty of people up in arms on these forums not that long ago.  If it's no longer considered an issue, why do you think that is?  The answer is an obvious one but I would probably be banned for saying it, even though it's absolutely true.

As for my own opinion, cosmetic DLC has never bothered me.  As I've said many times before, let people with money to burn subsidize my own experience all they want.  More money to developers is a good thing in the long run.

Even most of the DLC that people complain about as being "split up" probably isn't.  Games are rarely thrown together as developers go.  Instead, they are painstakingly planned out before any coding actually begins, which includes having writers write DLC.  There is a LOT of quality DLC out there not made by Nintendo.  

The problem I have with Amiibo DLC is that it's locked behind expensive toys.  This is an intentional incentive to buy Amiibo and anyone who says otherwise is lying.  They WANT and EXPECT some people say, "I really like that costume, so I guess I need to buy this Amiibo."  If not, then it would be avaliable separately.

Let me ask you this, and I'd like an honest answer--if EA, long before Amiibo were announced, had locked cosmetic armor upgrades for Titanfall behind mecha toys that were avaliable Day One in special bundles, how do you think this forum would have reacted?  I think we all know how many "lol EA" posts would have been made.

Because complaining about cosmetics is petty...I am certainly not the only one to feel that way (ex: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-MQMx-nH4Q ). Seeing as you actually agree with me on this point, it seems a little silly to argue.

We have already discussed a few examples of bad DLC including but not limited to circumstances in which large portions of story are locked behind a paywall or the quality of the game is sacrificed for DLC (not fixing bugs). Nobody here that I have seen is stating or implying that the only good DLC is made by Nintendo.

As for amiibo, I think you have it backwards. I doubt many people are buying splatoon amiibo for the costumes, they are buying them because they are collectables and the costume comes as a bonus. As in the Jim Sterling video I posted earlier, amiibo content is light enough so you aren't missing out by not having them, but there is enough spread over multiple games to give those who do have them a little bonus.

As for your hypothetical, I don't think most people would really care. There are a huge number of games which feature cosmetic DLC, and unless the base game is severely lacking (Evolve for instance), people tend to not care in my experience. As I said, we have already agreed that complaining about cosmetics is silly, so what exactly is your point? I get that you are trying to point out some sort of hypocrisy, but these sorts of generalizations (the implication that Nintendo fans are huge hypocrites is clear in your comments) just make you seem incredibly bias.

Tachikoma said:
Goodnightmoon said:

We are talking about one of the most complete fighting games ever done. 54 fighters is an epic number. 

That would be MUGEN. (which is free, too) As it currently has 2307 fighters to choose from.

LOL  XD

Well is not like the number is the only thing that matters 

Tachikoma said:
Goodnightmoon said:

o.O

I imagine most of them are quite similar in move sets and playstyle though?

#1 Amb-ass-ador

A lot of DLC now is complete garbage.

Around the Network
ReimTime said:
Tachikoma said:
Goodnightmoon said:

o.O

not really, check it out on youtube, most have very unique combat syles, moves and specials (even finishing moves, too)

sundin13 said:
pokoko said:

What you're saying "isn't considered an issue at all" had plenty of people up in arms on these forums not that long ago.  If it's no longer considered an issue, why do you think that is?  The answer is an obvious one but I would probably be banned for saying it, even though it's absolutely true.

As for my own opinion, cosmetic DLC has never bothered me.  As I've said many times before, let people with money to burn subsidize my own experience all they want.  More money to developers is a good thing in the long run.

Even most of the DLC that people complain about as being "split up" probably isn't.  Games are rarely thrown together as developers go.  Instead, they are painstakingly planned out before any coding actually begins, which includes having writers write DLC.  There is a LOT of quality DLC out there not made by Nintendo.  

The problem I have with Amiibo DLC is that it's locked behind expensive toys.  This is an intentional incentive to buy Amiibo and anyone who says otherwise is lying.  They WANT and EXPECT some people say, "I really like that costume, so I guess I need to buy this Amiibo."  If not, then it would be avaliable separately.

Let me ask you this, and I'd like an honest answer--if EA, long before Amiibo were announced, had locked cosmetic armor upgrades for Titanfall behind mecha toys that were avaliable Day One in special bundles, how do you think this forum would have reacted?  I think we all know how many "lol EA" posts would have been made.

Because complaining about cosmetics is petty...I am certainly not the only one to feel that way (ex: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-MQMx-nH4Q ). Seeing as you actually agree with me on this point, it seems a little silly to argue.

We have already discussed a few examples of bad DLC including but not limited to circumstances in which large portions of story are locked behind a paywall or the quality of the game is sacrificed for DLC (not fixing bugs). Nobody here that I have seen is stating or implying that the only good DLC is made by Nintendo.

As for amiibo, I think you have it backwards. I doubt many people are buying splatoon amiibo for the costumes, they are buying them because they are collectables and the costume comes as a bonus. As in the Jim Sterling video I posted earlier, amiibo content is light enough so you aren't missing out by not having them, but there is enough spread over multiple games to give those who do have them a little bonus.

As for your hypothetical, I don't think most people would really care. There are a huge number of games which feature cosmetic DLC, and unless the base game is severely lacking (Evolve for instance), people tend to not care in my experience. As I said, we have already agreed that complaining about cosmetics is silly, so what exactly is your point? I get that you are trying to point out some sort of hypocrisy, but these sorts of generalizations (the implication that Nintendo fans are huge hypocrites is clear in your comments) just make you seem incredibly bias.

Actually, that you seem willing to ignore all the previous complaining is the curious thing.  If you want to pretend that it never happened, then be my guest.  On top of that, though obviously we are talking about Nintendo fans in this instance, I've never said they have any kind of copyright on hipocrisy.  What I'm talking about is fans being against something until it comes home to them, which is something that has visited ALL the factions.

Tachikoma said:
ReimTime said:

o.O

not really, check it out on youtube, most have very unique combat syles, moves and specials (even finishing moves, too)

Ah I misunderstood it I didn't realize it was actually a fighting game engine. It makes more sense now

#1 Amb-ass-ador

pokoko said:
Cloudman said:

How is this Day 1 DLC? Those are physical goods you can get if you want. They do have extra costumes in them, but they are collectable goods you can get or not. I don`t really see how this is Day 1 DLC.

It's ... DLC that is avaliable for a fee on Day One.  Day One DLC.

I mean, you can get them or not?  That's true for all DLC.  They're literally developing DLC and putting it on toys so more people will buy them.  Exactly as he said, they're doing it on Day One because that's where the money is at.

That is true that it`s extra content available on day 1, but I wouldn`t necessarily call that a scam. They aren`t cutting out extra goods to pay extra for them, but attaching it to amiibo as an unlockable. While true you have to buy the figurines to get them, but resource had to go into making those, so it`s not like Ninten is making quick extra money. You`re getting something more than just the extras, but a figurine as well, which you can use however you like. For some, they may want the figures anyway, so it`s more a bonus than forced extras to get. I can`t really put this and day 1 DLC in the same light.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Cloudman said:

That is true that it`s extra content available on day 1, but I wouldn`t necessarily call that a scam. They aren`t cutting out extra goods to pay extra for them, but attaching it to amiibo as an unlockable. While true you have to buy the figurines to get them, but resource had to go into making those, so it`s not like Ninten is making quick extra money. You`re getting something more than just the extras, but a figurine as well, which you can use however you like. For some, they may want the figures anyway, so it`s more a bonus than forced extras to get. I can`t really put this and day 1 DLC in the same light.

Digital DLC costs money to make, too.