By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the Xbox Brand Simply Weaker Than the Playstation Brand?

Which Gaming Brand is the Biggest?

Playstation 690 76.07%

Xbox 51 5.62%

Nintendo 124 13.67%

iOS 42 4.63%

Total:907

More of these threads. A lot of you don't understand business and the gaming market. No company has a bigger name then the other. On Paper Nintendo has the biggest name out of all 3 if we are going by figures.

Ill try to make this simple for the kids that read this.

1: Sony are very good marketers
2: Xbox is as big of a name then the PS (last gen both finished on the same amount sold)
3: Every gen is different, there's always different winners.

Now before you call me a fanboy I am a PC gamer who thinks consoles are quite stupid (my Opinion)

All generations favour those who are hungrier, eg - Nintendo went aggressive with the Wii last gen since the Gamecube failed while MS went strong with the 360 because of the Org Xbox, PS3 failed to excite because Sony went into last generation big headed with the PS2s success. Results = Wii destroyed the market followed by the 360 then after PS3 caught up but.. PS3 caught up as the last gen finished as MS and Nintendo were focusing on next generation systems like there line ups which clearly shows that the PS4 lacked launch line up games compared to there competitors

This generation we have gotten the exact opposite, MS went out over confident while Sony were the hungrier team. PS4 did what the 360 did last gen, It was available World Wide a lot longer then the X1, it launch with good spirits where as X1 did a PS3 and launched only in a few countries and left a bad taste in casual gamers mouths.

Every Gen will be different and you can mark my words, if there is a next gen I would be expecting Xbox or Nintendo to topple top spot since there the hungrier teams.

Now all this doesn't matter in the end because either Sony or MS are trying to put each other out of business, if that was the case then Sony wouldn't have a chance against a monolith corporation like MS.

Both X1 and PS4 are reaching there sales goals, and to me Sales don't mean anything. Premium products aren't the best sellers and ill use the Wii and DS last gen as a example, they were the best selling systems last gen yet PC gaming was my preferred choice. No different this gen, PS4 is selling but so did the Wii last gen, does it really matter? All consoles have enough 1st party games to entertain you all though the generation.

Get rid of the measuring sticks, Sales don't determine quality or superior products, Both brands are big enough to attract there markets, if you prefer Sony games then game on PS, if you prefer MS games then game on Xbox and same with Nintendo and PC etc.

I owned a PC, PS1 and N64 all at the same time, Honest truth, my N64 was the best thing i could have brought, it had qaulity games, it had innovations and it was cheap and powerful, My PS1 i had MGS1 and FF7 (which was also avaialble on PC) and the Crash Bandicoot collections and many other 3rd party games that are nothing more then poor cheaply design games with very poorly made 1st party exclusives. My PS1 had nothing special on it apart from the fact you can pirate the games where as my PC did everything the PS1 did and more... BUT the PS1 sold monster tons, did that make it a better device then the N64? Hell no, no where near, premium games came on the N64 and PC where as PS1 had a library of 3rd party games while Sega started losing there way. Do sales = quality? No never did. PS was a new brand yet outsold a strong brand in Nintendo. That should anwser this thread.

Around the Network

Well, yes. Microsoft never stood a chance because of it. The Xbox brand and even Microsoft's brand has not always been the better received ones. Yeah Microsoft is a strong brand in the business sense, but not in the consumer sense. The Xbox itself is a poorly realised achronym in my opinion and reveals how centered in the american market microsoft is because they did not ponder what it meant in other languages.
It was mismanaged since the start, the xbox brand and both the content and business models were adopted with the north american market in first sight and others as an afterthought. The consoles will always struggle because of this and its too late to change it unless they go Nintendo style and change the name of the console and try to build a new more worldwide friendly brand.

As to why PS is a strong brand it stems from saving the market from the slump the Nintendo 64 and Saturn were bringing and going widespread with RPG's and the 3D gaming revolution while beeing more affordable than the competition. Then they followed that with the hugely sucessful PS2 and after that they showed they wont abondon their console with the PS3. Even though on portables they have stained this image, on consoles they have more than earned strong consumer trust, and their consoles have a world wide appeal, without the focus of a single region standing out too much.

So, in conclusion... yes. Microsoft should either be content with 2nd or 3rd place or just leave the market, because with the Xbox brand its not going to happen.

Azzanation said:

More of these threads. A lot of you don't understand business and the gaming market. No company has a bigger name then the other. On Paper Nintendo has the biggest name out of all 3 if we are going by figures.

2: Xbox is as big of a name then the PS (last gen both finished on the same amount sold)

Now before you call me a fanboy I am a PC gamer who thinks consoles are quite stupid (my Opinion)

All generations favour those who are hungrier, eg - Nintendo went aggressive with the Wii last gen since the Gamecube failed while MS went strong with the 360 because of the Org Xbox, PS3 failed to excite because Sony went into last generation big headed with the PS2s success. Results = Wii destroyed the market followed by the 360 then after PS3 caught up but.. PS3 caught up as the last gen finished as MS and Nintendo were focusing on next generation systems like there line ups which clearly shows that the PS4 lacked launch line up games compared to there competitors

This generation we have gotten the exact opposite, MS went out over confident while Sony were the hungrier team. PS4 did what the 360 did last gen, It was available World Wide a lot longer then the X1, it launch with good spirits where as X1 did a PS3 and launched only in a few countries and left a bad taste in casual gamers mouths.

Every Gen will be different and you can mark my words, if there is a next gen I would be expecting Xbox or Nintendo to topple top spot since there the hungrier teams.

Now all this doesn't matter in the end because either Sony or MS are trying to put each other out of business, if that was the case then Sony wouldn't have a chance against a monolith corporation like MS.

Both X1 and PS4 are reaching there sales goals, and to me Sales don't mean anything. Premium products aren't the best sellers and ill use the Wii and DS last gen as a example, they were the best selling systems last gen yet PC gaming was my preferred choice. No different this gen, PS4 is selling but so did the Wii last gen, does it really matter? All consoles have enough 1st party games to entertain you all though the generation.

Get rid of the measuring sticks, Sales don't determine quality or superior products, Both brands are big enough to attract there markets, if you prefer Sony games then game on PS, if you prefer MS games then game on Xbox and same with Nintendo and PC etc.

I owned a PC, PS1 and N64 all at the same time, Honest truth, my N64 was the best thing i could have brought, it had qaulity games, it had innovations and it was cheap and powerful, My PS1 i had MGS1 and FF7 (which was also avaialble on PC) and the Crash Bandicoot collections and many other 3rd party games that are nothing more then poor cheaply design games with very poorly made 1st party exclusives. My PS1 had nothing special on it apart from the fact you can pirate the games where as my PC did everything the PS1 did and more... BUT the PS1 sold monster tons, did that make it a better device then the N64? Hell no, no where near, premium games came on the N64 and PC where as PS1 had a library of 3rd party games while Sega started losing there way. Do sales = quality? No never did. PS was a new brand yet outsold a strong brand in Nintendo. That should anwser this thread.

Xbox360 sold nearly as much as ps3 because it released more then 1 year after ps3 and 3rd party games was superior and was less expensive not because xbox brand is bigger.

A brand is big when it sold better then another without being aggressive.

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Nem said:
Well, yes. Microsoft never stood a chance because of it. The Xbox brand and even Microsoft's brand has not always been the better received ones. Yeah Microsoft is a strong brand in the business sense, but not in the consumer sense. The Xbox itself is a poorly realised achronym in my opinion and reveals how centered in the american market microsoft is because they did not ponder what it meant in other languages.
It was mismanaged since the start, the xbox brand and both the content and business models were adopted with the north american market in first sight and others as an afterthought. The consoles will always struggle because of this and its too late to change it unless they go Nintendo style and change the name of the console and try to build a new more worldwide friendly brand.

As to why PS is a strong brand it stems from saving the market from the slump the Nintendo 64 and Saturn were bringing and going widespread with RPG's and the 3D gaming revolution while beeing more affordable than the competition. Then they followed that with the hugely sucessful PS2 and after that they showed they wont abondon their console with the PS3. Even though on portables they have stained this image, on consoles they have more than earned strong consumer trust, and their consoles have a world wide appeal, without the focus of a single region standing out too much.

So, in conclusion... yes. Microsoft should either be content with 2nd or 3rd place or just leave the market, because with the Xbox brand its not going to happen.

Arrogant post, with little research.

Its not about trying to be number one on the sales charts, its about making money, The PS2 basiaclly had no competition apart from a falling Sega company which left gamers to buy 1 console for awhile and with no competitors, PS2 sold at a ridiclus price, it contiued to stay on top of the charts because it was the oldest console on the market.  

You act as if the Xbox brand is failing and they should except defeat? Why? They are making money, they are selling systems and games and again its not about 1st place. If they left the competition then expect the next PS console to be priced at a ridiclus price just like there history shows. I am glad there is Xbox, i am glad theres a brand out there competing and willing to try new and different things.

Healthy competiton is a great thing but alot of fanboys treat these as there sport teams. Which will again tell you that the most populour sports teams arent always the greatest teams in there respected competitions.

small44 said:
Azzanation said:

Xbox360 sold nearly as much as ps3 because it released more then 1 year after ps3 and 3rd party games was superior and was less expensive not because xbox brand is bigger.

A brand is big when it sold better then another without being aggressive.

Agressive marketing can be the difference in system sales as can be good timing. The 360 had the advantage and continued to outsell the PS3 for years, its only when MS started to drop support that the PS3 caught up, in the end the 360 sold more for most of last generation which leads to bigger success then barely overtaking in its dieing years when both consoles are worth practicle nothing.

Also PS4 is dominating the market this gen based on aggersive marketing and the fact its had a world wide sales advatage for a good year and a bit. Do you expect a console available in 13 countries to outsell another thats available in 70+ at launch? Thats no different between 360 and PS3 with the 360 having a 1 year head start. If the PS3 caught up on sales then expect the X1 to do somthing similar.

Quote *A brand is big when it sold better then another without being aggressive.* Then how do you explain the PS1 outselling the N64? From that time no one knew what a PS1 was were as everyone knew what a Nintendo was.

Around the Network

Isn't this common knowledge?

PlayStation is the biggest brand by a very long shot, and it's a well deserved position from both a quality and a global business standpoint. While they're the dominant brand in the US, Japan, Europe, etc., we already see them having installed themselves as the default brand in the growing South American, Asian, Middle Easter, and African markets. Just look at the growth in those "Rest of World" numbers.

playstation has better global appeal.

small44 said:
Puggsly said:

The thing is... the market did grow before Playstation existed. More hardware was sold in the 16 bit era than the 8 bit era.

Also, people neglect Gameboy sold over 100 million units. Many people that had a Gameboy also bought a Playstation. People that enjoy handheld consoles can also enjoy a home console. I'm not sure why people treat them as something completely different.

Sony made the right moves with Playstation and that's why people flocked to it. I give credit to Sony for having the better machine of the 5th gen, its no wonder why people flocked to it. But some people seem to think Playstation is the reason video games are popular and cool for adults, that's ridiculous in my opinion.

Yes the market grow before Playstation but not a big grow as the grow after Playstation.

I said one millions times that we talk about home consoles Gameboy is an handheld not a home console.

Why before ps1,the console with the most support didn't sell over 100 millions?

I hear what you're saying, but Playstation one of several platforms that helped the industry grow. More competition means better games. Hence, Sony deserves credit for helping the industry grow as does Nintendo, Sega, MS, and many studios that developed games. Hence, I give Sony credit just not as much as some Sony fans do.

Gameboy is gaming device and Gameboy users are also gamers. If we're gonna have a discussion about platforms that made the industry grow then Gameboy should be in that discussion.

"Why before ps1,the console with the most support didn't sell over 100 millions?" Because before Playstation the market was still growing. Playstation wouldn't have sold a 100 million units in the 16 bit era. When Playstation was released Nintendo and Sega dropped the ball, that allowed Playstation to thrive in a market that was bigger than ever.

The Gameboy, NES, Genesis and SNES sold well over 250 million units combined. A huge video gaming market existed even before Playstation existed.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

daredevil.shark said:
Playstation was always biggest gaming brand. Its been since 1995. In Wii / Xbox 360 time people just forgot it. Now they do remember it again. Its simple.

I think people may have been regaining Sony's trust at the time rather than the PlayStation Brand being forgotten with all due respect. Keep in mind the PS2 was, and in my opinion, will always be the record holder and record breaker. That being said, I am certain wounds needed to be healed first.

" It has never been about acknowledgement when you achieve something. When you are acknowledged, then and only then can you achieve something. Always have your friends first to achieve your goals later." - OnlyForDisplay

of course it is.

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)