By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the Xbox Brand Simply Weaker Than the Playstation Brand?

Which Gaming Brand is the Biggest?

Playstation 690 76.07%

Xbox 51 5.62%

Nintendo 124 13.67%

iOS 42 4.63%

Total:907
Boosted said:
Mr Puggsly said:

The market is always growing. Again, lets not give too much credit for the market growing when PS1 was around.

PS1 didn't have strong competition. Sega was struggling to stay relevant. N64 came later and didn't get great support primarily because carts were expensive and space was limited. Sony throwing money around for support didn't hurt either.

If Playstation wasn't around those other consoles would have EVENTUALLY performed fine, I think Saturn most notably becuase it used CDs. However, it was easy for a company like Sony to swoop in and take the market because Sega and Nintendo were making some bad moves. It was more difficult for MS to break into the market because they had tougher competition.

The competition screwed up and helped Playstation thrive. Sony eventually screwed up and allowed Xbox thrive, now we're seeing the opposite. Sometimes getting an edge on competition just happens from the mistakes of others.

Sony grew gaming they made it what it is.  If not for them no console what have broke 100m.   You should really get over your sony issues.

Lol easy yahh sure hater sure.

My issue is I simply disagree with your opinion.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Mr.Playstation said:
In the U.S the Xbox is by far a stronger brand. It was dominant before entering the gaming buisbess thanks to it's PC software and due to that people in the U.S are more accustomed to microsoft and so Microsoft's console is a stronger brand there.

I'd disagree about this. Although there it is a lot closer than anywhere else I'd still say the PlayStation brand is stronger than the Xbox brand in the US.

People may have had windows PCs or whatever before but that doesn't necessarily translate to making the Xbox brand strong, they are completely different products and besides if it worked out like that in the US wouldn't it have done so elsewhere since Windows is the dominant OS worldwide. The hugely successful PS1 and PS2 and somewhat successful PS3 however have definitely made the PS brand huge in the US.

I think in USA they are equal the one with superior versions of third party games are the winner in USA

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Ka-pi96 said:
Mr.Playstation said:
In the U.S the Xbox is by far a stronger brand. It was dominant before entering the gaming buisbess thanks to it's PC software and due to that people in the U.S are more accustomed to microsoft and so Microsoft's console is a stronger brand there.

I'd disagree about this. Although there it is a lot closer than anywhere else I'd still say the PlayStation brand is stronger than the Xbox brand in the US.

People may have had windows PCs or whatever before but that doesn't necessarily translate to making the Xbox brand strong, they are completely different products and besides if it worked out like that in the US wouldn't it have done so elsewhere since Windows is the dominant OS worldwide. The hugely successful PS1 and PS2 and somewhat successful PS3 however have definitely made the PS brand huge in the US.

Though one can't also ignore the fact that the Xbox 360 won in the U.S ( and rightfully so ) last generation and even though the Ps4 should have destroyed the Xbox One this generation, they are constantly head to head. I don't know why the windows PC's haven't helped in other countries but it has surely helped in the U.S as people tend to already have some knowledge of what Microsoft offers as a company and I've met people ( online ) who have constantly mixed up together the IP's found on PC's and Xbox.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Microsoft could have done better but, really, they did not do well last E3 of 2013 and even though those problems didn't exist anymore, that isn't only the problem.

PlayStation 4's launch price was cheaper than Xbox One's launch price thus, PlayStation rises. Idk now though on which one is currently cheaper.

Xbox does have a chance to beat PlayStation and that is through more (great) exclusives. Xbox did have last year but, they weren't really very good and they were just decent. Their exclusives should be critically acclaimed aside from Halo.

To me, Sony is the biggest for now and for those who are saying that "<Insert gaming brand> is the best and will always be the best", here's what I'll say: WALANG FOREVER.

Click Here To Check Out My YT Channel!

small44 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

No home console sold over a 100 million because the market was still growing at that point.

In the 4th gen about 100 million consoles were sold. In the 5th gen about 140 million consoles were sold. In the 6th gen almost 200 million consoles were sold. In the 7th gen over 260 million consoles were sold (a low point for Playstation). Do you understand what I'm saying?

PS1 came when the market was ALREADY growing fast, that's a big reason it was able to sell 100 million. Many Gameboy owners also bought a PS1. PS1 wouldn't have done so if it came during the 16 bit era. Hence, PS1 was able to sell a 100 million because the market was big enough for it to do so at the time.

Why didn't PS3 sell 100 million units? Because the competition had great support, people were willing to play those same games on some non-Sony console.

Why the home console market didn't grow before ps1 came ? it's because  the main reason why home console market grow is Playstation.

The biggest contributors in gen over gen growth are playstation consoles and why it's not another console who had sold 100 millions instead of PS1? it's because Playstation brand was bigger then any other brand in Home consoles market ,if we talk about handheld then it's Nintendo.

PS3 didn't sell 100 millions because Xbox stole a big part of ps2 owners but PS3 sold more then XB360 despite a highter price and inferior  version of 3rd party games and coming 1 year and half later ,if Playstation brand was not stronger then Xbox brand XBOX360 would have  sell a lot better then PS3.

It's natural that the console with the  best support will win it has nothing to do with brand strength if ps3 was made by another brand it would have not even sold half of what ps3 sold.

The thing is... the market did grow before Playstation existed. More hardware was sold in the 16 bit era than the 8 bit era.

Also, people neglect Gameboy sold over 100 million units. Many people that had a Gameboy also bought a Playstation. People that enjoy handheld consoles can also enjoy a home console. I'm not sure why people treat them as something completely different.

Sony made the right moves with Playstation and that's why people flocked to it. I give credit to Sony for having the better machine of the 5th gen, its no wonder why people flocked to it. But some people seem to think Playstation is the reason video games are popular and cool for adults, that's ridiculous in my opinion.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

Not really. There's only been three Xbox consoles, no handhelds either, one went under the radar, the other was more popular than the PS3, and the last had restrictions and shit that dampened it's sales and momentum.

Give them the time Sony had in the market and I'm sure things would be different. To me, the XB1 is their PS3, just like Sony got greedy with the huge price tag and shit after the PS2's insane sales, Xbox have done the same. I'm sure next gen things will be different.

Both of them fall to Nintendo though. They may have stumbled with the Wii U but there's no denying that they're the biggest and probably best ever.

Redgrave said:

Both of them fall to Nintendo though. They may have stumbled with the Wii U but there's no denying that they're the biggest and probably best ever.

nostolgia much.

They arent even remotly or will ever be the biggest or best ever, their reluctence to adopt to new tech and new market wants will ensue that.  They haev the potential just not the drive or weant to give an attempt at that.

Boosted said:
Redgrave said:

nostolgia much.

They arent even remotly or will ever be the biggest or best ever, their reluctence to adopt to new tech and new market wants will ensue that.  They haev the potential just not the drive or weant to give an attempt at that.

Nostolgia? Behave yourself. It's my opinion.

Puggsly said:

The thing is... the market did grow before Playstation existed. More hardware was sold in the 16 bit era than the 8 bit era.

Also, people neglect Gameboy sold over 100 million units. Many people that had a Gameboy also bought a Playstation. People that enjoy handheld consoles can also enjoy a home console. I'm not sure why people treat them as something completely different.

Sony made the right moves with Playstation and that's why people flocked to it. I give credit to Sony for having the better machine of the 5th gen, its no wonder why people flocked to it. But some people seem to think Playstation is the reason video games are popular and cool for adults, that's ridiculous in my opinion.

Yes the market grow before Playstation but not a big grow as the grow after Playstation.

I said one millions times that we talk about home consoles Gameboy is an handheld not a home console.

Why before ps1,the console with the most support didn't sell over 100 millions?

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Ka-pi96 said:
Redgrave said:

Nope, as a gaming brand PlayStation is way ahead of Nintendo right now and has been since Sony entered the market.

How so? By what measure? Sales? Recognition?

Sony total hardware sales = around 457 million

Nintendo hardware sales Sony entering the market =  around 450 (not including GB sales , which could be an additional 50 million)

Software sales Nintendo is far beyond Sony's reach.

Recognition? Nintendo is synonymous with Mario, a face that is iconic, a household name and instilled in gaming popular culture. Plus they have an impressive pool of IP's with far outreach like Donkey kong , pokemon and Zelda.

If you said as a brand for home consoles, then I would be inclined to agree. As a gaming brand? I'd argue differently.