By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What Does the 360 Price Drop Mean for Sony?

cool48 said:
11ht11 said:
lower ps3 sales

Wanna Bet?

no, its just a guess lol

Around the Network
11ht11 said:
cool48 said:
11ht11 said:
lower ps3 sales

Wanna Bet?

no, its just a guess lol

bet wouldnt work either. how could you prove the lack of sales is because of a price drop and not people waiting a week for the GT5p bundle

benjaminwillcock said:
As I am sure most of you are aware, this Friday the Xbox 360 will see a price drop across Europe. I've been giving this some thought, and my personal opinion is that it shouldn't affect PS3 sale too much, at least not in the long run. The PS3 has been outselling the 360 across Europe for months despite the higher price. But will another £50 shaven off the 360 finally make it the runaway success Microsoft wants it to be? Again, I still think the answer is no. Microsoft ramble on about "history" and lower prices, but that didn't stop the Dreamcast from dropping out not long after the PS2 was on the market. I think it's the product that counts, not necessarily the price, and while I don't want this thread to be a fanboy bashing affair, I can't help but think the 360 is a poor product. With its lack of true HD functions and features, a pricey online platform, dire unreliability and poor hardware design in general, and a brand name unfamiliar to the majority of gamers, I honestly don't think this price reduction poses much of a threat. Or maybe I am wrong, what do you think? Something to lose sleep over or just another nail in Microsoft's coffin of desperation?

No fanboys coming from a fanboy??? well PS2 dropped its price several times to stick it to MS and the Original xbox in the U.S. was it the same in europe??? or did the PS2 stay the same price or more then the original xbox???

Price always matters some consumers have a lesser price point then others! will it keep people form buying one or the other probably not because of console loyalty!

If playing multiplatform games are your thing and Blu ray isnt then the 360 will do alright! the dreamcast blast is possible but MS has way deeper pockets then Sega! I get a sense of sony only and no competition is your thing!

Dreamcast was a great machine and had decent online play before the PS2  hell until the wii  it kicked nintendos arse too.

NFL 2k online Quake 3 online good times!

It doesn't mean a thing at the moment. Only if the 360 sees a significant up tick in sales over extended period of time will it mean something. There will be some sort of sales spike but unless there is a sustained increase, Sony has little to worry about as of now.

Nothing..

MS f*cked up and waited too long, I don't understand how their running their gaming division in Europe... they haven't done anything right.

Proper Marketing + Proper Pricing = NA Sales
Retard Marketing + Greedy Pricing = Europe Sales

The consoles are still overpriced (except for the arcade) in Europe compared to NA. Not only that, but NA is suppose to get a price cut within the next couple months, and I bet you that price cut won't make its way back to Europe. Meaning the Premium and Elite consoles will again be way overpriced.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network

I think it's a last ditch effort on MS's part win europe. This price cut will do wonders me thinks. Sony should at least do a fifty euro pricedrop to keep the ball in their court. Europe is vital to sony and they should be aggressive in keeping it "theirs"

NOTHING. It's Europe. This is like a last stand desperation attempt. Otherwise Xbox in Europe is going the way of it in Japan.

gebx said:
Nothing..

MS f*cked up and waited too long, I don't understand how their running their gaming division in Europe... they haven't done anything right.

Proper Marketing + Proper Pricing = NA Sales
Retard Marketing + Greedy Pricing = Europe Sales

The consoles are still overpriced (except for the arcade) in Europe compared to NA. Not only that, but NA is suppose to get a price cut within the next couple months, and I bet you that price cut won't make its way back to Europe. Meaning the Premium and Elite consoles will again be way overpriced.

I agree.  The SKUs in Europe should have been reaching this price point last year.  It's too bad Microsoft is solely fixated on profit now while Sony appears willing to lose hundreds of millions if not more on the PS3 SKUs to ensure sales.

@ legend, last i heard sony made a profit last quarter. Theres even rumors floating around they are breaking even on the 40 gig so id imagine the 80 gig is within reach of breaking even. Unless sony does a large price drop i think the days of them losing hundreds of millions on ps3 is over.