By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How much of a pirate are you/have you been?

Did you ever pirate games?

sure! 106 43.09%

no way! 39 15.85%

I even pirated Pirates! 27 10.98%

only roms for emulators (... 43 17.48%

I don't want to say it a... 16 6.50%

I am too rich to actually care 15 6.10%

Total:246
walsufnir said:
RCTjunkie said:

I don't pirate games at all (I have played Rom emulators at friends places, but if I or they already own the game I don't see the issue) , I don't pirate music unless there is zero ways to let me purchase it legally, and I very rarely pirate movies, but I try to avoid it as much as possible with Netflix and Hulu or even iTunes.

The few anime I have seen I will admit I streamed, but that was before it became localized.

Your mother is proud of you! Good boy :) (Please don't take it personal, it's just a good fit, in my opinion).

If the government finds out, I'll wake up one day, but I won't be in my bed. I'll be outside the walls... tied to a tree.....

Around the Network

Never. I'm a Ninja.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

I took the high road for years. I had a friend who used The Pirate Bay religiously, he'd get rare and unreleased music from bands that I loved in minutes. It pissed me off when I was forking out money for music and this fraud was getting it for free. Also, the prices on iTunes, HMV, and to a lesser extent, Amazon, were getting ridiculous. I mean, paying £18 for thirty minutes of music that wasn't written by the album artist? Nah, fuck that.

I buy music that I genuinely enjoy though.

I've got every emulator I'd ever need. There's nothing wrong with ROMs and emulators when there's no way to get physical copies anymore.

Apart from some Abandonware titles before the advent of GOG (where I bought almost every single one of them, got 6 of them wishlisted and 16 titles which are not yet released on GOG) and some remix music (lenghted DJ versions of some tracks with a long intro and outro to easely overlap with previous/following track), I haven't pirated any software, music or movies. However, I got some copies of anime on CDs (Cobra, Captain Tsubasa, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Saint Seiya Movies, Hellsing OVA), but all of those where given to me by friends.

I'm also a bit renowned here for chastisising people who proudly showed me their DS with their 150+ pirated games SD cards (any such console, really, but happened 9/10 times with a DS) after they wondered why I don't do that myself. I know how much of a hard work it is to make these games (counts for Music and Movies, too), so copying games with no good reason (meaning no other way to get them legally) is something cringeworthy for me and one of my biggest berserk buttons

Games that are not localized, I crack games that have game-breaking DRM (although I typically purchase the game), and games that are too old to find at a reasonable price. Sometimes I'll pirate a game to test it out (performance and game quality wise) before I choose to buy it as well. I used to pirate music a decade ago, but now I just use YouTube, Pandora, etc for all my music needs. I also watch streams of television shows when they aren't available on Netflix/Hulu/etc.

Around the Network

Wow, you actually bought Voodoo2 just for pirated games like Unreal without disc check? And you played a legendary N64 emulator(the graphic with Voodoo2 is a bomb, yes, i tested with Quake & Zelda:OOT)

Ok, about myself. Back in late 1996, my dad bought me PS1 with free 25 pirated games & in mid 2003, he bought me PS2 with free 30 pirated games.... Yep, i admit.

Now you realize why PS1, PS2, Wii, & DS are 100 millions unit sold... Pirated helped.

I used to use emulators a lot to play old games and handheld games with tablets. But I do not much anymore because I think console and PC is vastly superior to handheld games.

And my friend used to pirate every 360 game and always said I should too, but he kept getting busted by Microsoft and had to get a new console every year. It seemed like a ton of work with very little money saved, so I never did it.

QUAKECore89 said:

Now you realize why PS1, PS2, Wii, & DS are 100 millions unit sold... Pirated helped.

The original xbox and the 360 also had tons of pirating and both did not reach the sales of the consoles you listed.

I had no choice. It was (and still is) the only way to play Seiken Densetsu 3. I loved Secret of Mana and read the EGMs and other game magazines that showed screenshots of it. It never came. This is pretty much the only option I had. Fan translations and a modified Rom finally let me play a game I've wanted to play for years and never would have experienced otherwise.

Its something I've had to live with for a long time now.

chocoloco said:
QUAKECore89 said:

The original xbox and the 360 also had tons of pirating and both did not reach the sales of the consoles you listed.

That's why they bought one single console is enough for them.

Don't forget about PS3, the console had pirating.